What's new

what are your favorite war/military movies?

Born on the Fourth of July, if only because there is no scene with Tom Cruise running. At least, I don't remember one . . .

I've always liked A Bridge Too Far. I always thought it was a very well done production for a story of such massive scope. I saw it in the theaters as a kid and love when it comes on TV every now and then.

Many probably wouldn't consider it a war movie (at least in the contemporary sense), but I love The General (1926). I don't think I'd use it as a source on a Civil War paper, though. :tongue_sm

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
A lot mentioned already are some of my favourites. I'll try to add new ones:

Twelve O'Clock High
Mister Roberts
The Caine Mutiny
Where Eagles Dare
The Eagle Has Landed
The Big Red 1
Lawrence of Arabia
Tora! Tora! Tora!
The Dambusters
Galipoli
The Lighthorsemen
Play Dirty
The Guns of Navarone

A Bridge Too Far. Classic movie that has a personal connection. My Dad's cousin was killed at Arnhem during that battle.
Just to get his goat, I sometimes ask Dad which side his cousin was on...

I would have to agree with most of these but my favorites are
Full Metal Jacket (being a former Marine I love this one)
Saving Private Ryan
Das Boot (I love submarine movies)

Not necessarily in any particular order:

Band of Brothers
American Sniper
Platoon (Even with Charlie Sheen's stupid red bandanna headband that stayed clean and bright no matter how filthy he was.)
Full Metal Jacket
Saving Private Ryan
The Longest Day
Letters from Iwo Jima
Blackhawk Down
Enemy at the Gate
Hunt for Red October (Cold War???)

The Best Years of our Lives - not technically a war movies, but I included it because it shows the affects of the war on returned servicemen in World War II.

Das Boot. The book is even better.

Come and See. You can't see it without feeling nauseous

The Winter War. A Finnish film made 1989 to commemorate how the Finnish army 1939-1940 fought a more than ten times stronger invading Soviet army and managed to hold the line at a great cost. The war is seen through the eyes of two brothers.

Paths of Glory

The Unknown Soldier (the 1950's version). Another Finnish movie that depicts a platoon of Finnish soldiers during the second war against the Soviet Union (1941-1944). Without doubt the most seen film ever in Finland. It's also available with English subtitles.

I'm not from Finland. On the other hand having served in the Swedish army I feel a deep sympathy and respect for what the Finnish people and their army went through and I do hope it won't happen again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom