What's new

What are Your Favorite Parts of our Shaving Hobby?

I was a badger brush user for 15+ years. Now with some of the synthetics I have found, I spend more time face lathering and just enjoying the feeling (well longer than actually needed). My synthetics are so soft and luxurious feeling. And at the end, I have a thick blanket of aromatic lather.

Then, rinsing my face and feeling nothing but smoothness, and the aftershave treatment of choice, whether it be a balm or abas.

So… I guess I like it all?!

And I will concur with those str8 razor shavers that there is something to be said for sharpening your own blade, and getting a great shave from it. I will always keep the first razor I ever properly honed.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Face lathering and not having scratchy stubble on my neck and jawline when I’m done if it went well. If it didn’t trim those whiskers, it was still happy razor fun time.

As per David’s description @dmshaver I like the spa time aspect of it. I even get up early to ensure sufficient me time while the rest of the house is still in lala-land. Every aspect of shaving is bliss from preshave to post shave and everything in between. The fact I have more than one razor to choose from makes it even more fun!

And I cannot deny that one of the perks or side benefits is sharing it with like minded folks the fine B&B knights of the shaving table are! It has enabled me to the max but I like looking at pictures, enjoying other’s enjoyment and occasionally find a scoop of a razor.

Cheers,

Guido

Getting to play with cool toys and getting to meet other like-minded people.

Getting into SR shaving introduced me to the concept of maintaining a tool instead of just throwing something away when you're done. There's some weird primal satisfaction in rubbing steel on a rock and getting a great shave out of it.

I personally enjoy that DE shaving allows me to take a break from my day to day of life. It gives me the opportunity to really be intentional and in that moment. My second favorite part of wet shaving has to be when you are lathering and shaving how the scent profile can bring you back to fond memories you have of places.

I love the fact that after 25+ years of wet shaving, i have collected lots of gear and I can pick and choose what suits my mood on any given day. Having done this for a while, and I feel my technique is where it should be, I am comfortable using any razor and I get great shaves every time. My evening shave is my "me time" and I look forward to it every day. Of course, I get to share and learn from you guys, which is awesome. This is something I can't do with my colleagues or friends. They usually give me "that" look.

lasta

Blade Biter
I enjoy taking a daily chore and turning it into a multi-layered passion.

I've been "traditional" wet shaving since 2005. First batch of gear was a Slim, a boar brush and 3/4 straights. Haven't bought anything else for the next 15 years. I remember that just a few years ago, I was shaving with a straight razor and left over lather from my face wash!

In 2018, I moved to DE exclusively. But true ignition didn't happen until middle of last year!

Now, I polish razors for fun, and my custom handle guy is getting fed up with my incessant questioning!

I enjoy the entire process. It's my spa time. But there are two parts of the shave I particularly enjoy:
- I face lather & the process of building the lather on my face is wonderful! Sensory overload as I swirl & paint.
- The act of shaving. Running a razor over my face is such a pleasant experience. The tactile feel of the blade gliding over my face, combined with the face feel after rinsing. Exhilarating! And I get to do this every day!!!!!!

I find it satisfying to sharpen and maintain my own blades and use them for shaving. Living in the city, I don’t get the opportunity to make much with my hands. There’s a sense of accomplishment when you put the time and effort into learning a new skill and finally master it.

For me it is producing my own edge and then the enjoyment of shaving with it. Straight razor shaving is one of the few addictions that hasn't been made illegal or taxed out of existence.

Buying an old vintage straight, cleaning, restoring if required, honing then using that bit of history I have brought back into use.

Having a reason to be a member of B&B and interacting with a GREAT group of folks from around the globe!

These guys said it for me, but to recap:

The feels! Face time, me time.
Restoring/honing a blast from the past (or a pearl from the present).
Hanging out with gentlefolk.

The ritualized and time-consuming nature of both wet shaving and pipe smoking are what keeps the attraction for me. This thread reminds me of one of my very favorite threads from a while back (2008):

Thoughts on the untimely death and quiet resurgence of manly rituals by "drandal"

Thank you for this post. I am 49 now and love to take my sweet time. Slow is smooth, methodical and the results of taking time and paying attention are tenfold. Try telling this to 18 year old me, however!

I love perfectly organizing my items on the counter. So much more sophisticated than a ban of barbasol and a mach 3!
20221010_191545.jpg

I have never thought of shaving as a hobby. While I have a fairly wide assortment of razors, brushes, soaps, etc., I think of shaving more as something I have to do anyway (task completion) so having a variety of choices keeps the task interesting. I don't collect razors or brushes the way many of you do or think of my bathroom as a shave den (that's a weird name to me) but I do enjoy some of the online discussion of shaving and seeing how other guys go about it so maybe that could be considered a sort of hobby aspect? I certainly like sharing my own experiences and thoughts on shaving and gear. ;)

The ritualized and time-consuming nature of both wet shaving and pipe smoking are what keeps the attraction for me. This thread reminds me of one of my very favorite threads from a while back (2008):

Thoughts on the untimely death and quiet resurgence of manly rituals by "drandal"

In a post I made just a few minutes ago (just above this one), I said shaving was a task and blah, blah, blah. But calling it a ritual is a far better way to describe it than I did. It's not a hobby for me, it's a "manly ritual". Well said, friend.

The anticipation of a clean slate!

I enjoy looking at my rough appearance in the mirror with unsightly whiskers and feeling the stubble. Then laying out my tools and thinking “we’ll see about that!”

A few enjoyable minutes later and I’m a new man. Every. Single. Time.

And mentioned by some previously, the burn! 😱

Top Bottom