What's new

What are your favorite non-tallow soaps?

I love tallow soaps but I assume it is easier to make a great shaving soap with tallow than without.

What non-tallow soaps have impressed you the most?

I'll start off with five. OK 7 :lol:

1) Martin de Candre - there has been a lot of discussion about this soap so I'll just say that I'm a believer.

2) eShave avocado & linden - this was my number 1 until MdC knocked it off. Slick, cushiony, lather doesn't dry out, cool scent, appears to last and last...

3) Provence Sante/ Cade (tie) - PS lathers easier but Cade smells better. Both produce shaves that are just first rate.

4) EJ/Muhle Sea Buckthorn - Great scent, slick lather. This is good stuff.

5) Klar Kabinett/ Trumper's Violet (tie) - KK wins on price - Trumpers is a solid choice. If I'm in a floral mood the choice between rose and violet determines what I pick.

Any of the above can keep me happy. What do you like?

I am also a fan of:

Cade
Klar Kabinett

As you said both produce thick, slick, cushiony lather that is on par with a tallow based soap. Another one would be La Toja.

I've only tried one non-tallow soap, La Toja shave stick, and it is one of the best I've tried, be it soap or cream. Really nice subtle, fresh scent. Fantastic performer too, lots of slick protective lather. Very easy to make lather too, you look at it and it starts making lather :lol:

Trumpers Rose & La Toja are lovely soaps and still in my rotation, but they don't lather like the better tallow soaps, alas.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Martin de Candre is, for me, the finest vegetable soap available anywhere. Other great soaps without tallow that deserve attention are La Toja, L'Occitane Cade and Valobra, Crema di Sapone Purissima.

Institut Karite holds up better in a hot scuttle than any other non-tallow soap I know of. Great lather, needs lots of water added gradually.

The non-tallow Valobra is another soft soap, correct?
I really like their tallow based stick (and of course the AOS soaps)

La Toja ~ this is on my list to try - though I'd probably go for the tallow formula.

The non-tallow Valobra is another soft soap, correct?
I really like their tallow based stick (and of course the AOS soaps)

La Toja ~ this is on my list to try - though I'd probably go for the tallow formula.

Valobra, Crema di sapone Purissima is a soft soap, and comes in Almond and Menthol. The Valobra, Sapone per barba stick is, IMO, a superior soap containing tallow. La Toja stick is fantastic, but it has been reformulated, and if you can find the tallow version now, grab it immediately.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Martin de Candre, and then I also like Trumpers Rose and Eucris, Klar's Kabinettseife, Gentleman's Best, QED Sandalwood

Top Bottom