What's new

what are your favorite 'newer' tobacco blends?

Aside from picking up a few more tins of 1792, Marlin Flake and Bob's Chocolate Flake 2 weeks ago, I've not bought any pipe tobacco since about 2002/03

so I'm definitely out of the loop on what new blends are out there worth trying

I'm a diehard virginia fan - prefer flake style but not necessary - love matured, bright, stoved, with or without perique. you get the idea.

I also like English blends, oriental blends and some burleys (Barbary coast for instance) but 8-9 pipes I smoke are virginias

looking for some recommendations of some of their favorite tobaccos that have come out within the last say 10 years?

much appreciated

I'm still new to all of this and haven't tried much so maybe take this with a grain of salt. But here are my favourites so far (not sure about how new they are):

Virginia -- Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake
Virginia/Perique -- Escudo, Solani 633 Virginia Flake with Perique
English/Latakia blend (Latakia forward) -- Esoterica Penzance, McClelland 3 Oaks Syrian, and Dunhill Nightcap
English/Balkan blend (Oriental forward) -- Hearth & Home Larry's Blend, Hearth & Home Magnum Opus
Burley -- Solani 656 Aged Burley Flake

thank you

I am not familiar with the Hearth & Home blends.... though I recall them being mentioned recently on the forum :)

also, don'tthink I tried the 3 Oaks syrian, I've smoked most of McClelland's VAs though (at least up til 03) :)

C&D and G.L Pease have come out with a ton of stuff over the last decade. Some of the most new are their flakes and plugs. All of those I've tried have been enjoyable although some are more to my personal tastes than others. If you like English blends I can recommend Westminster it's come out maybe 4 years ago and if you ever had the original Dunhill London Mixture when still blended by Dunhill, Pre-Murry, it compares favorably especially with a bit of age on it.

thanks James

very familiar w Greg's handiwork both w F&P and after he started GLP, he is, in my opinion, the best American blender, just not hip to his newer ones - and from what I see he's been a very busy guy!! I still have some tins of Stonehenge (at least hoping I have more than 1/2 left), which was his first flake, but i think that's def the direction I need to go in. wonder what C&D is gong to be doing now that Craig has passed (RIP) they'v become quite the tobacco house too, and I assume they are still tinning Greg's blends/flakes?

I've actually smoked Westminster - a local friend gave me a sample not long ago. i had started a pipe club in 2000 here in Wilkes-Barre tho I haven't been active since 05/06 (work) he stills tops up the house a few times a year... trying to get him onto B&B as well he's a DE shaver.

any other recommends? and thanks James

I'm a relative newb, but Two Friends English Chocolate is one of my favorites. It's a Lat blend that is quickly becoming my favorite.

Top Bottom