What's new

What are your favorite gourmands?

I dislike gourmands immensely, but even this “hater” fell in love with the delicious smelling Le Speculoos by L’Antichambre.

I don't typically like gourmands, but I love me a good coffee scent. I haven't had much exposure to them, but I really like Cuir Cafe by Happyland Studio.
Coffee, apricot, leather, musk, jasmine, and labdanum.
My buddy had a sampler pack and I tried this one. Until then, colognes that smell like food didn't appeal to me.

Cacao dreams by Alexandria looks pretty enticing and I’m looking for other good ones are out there.

I'm not a huge fan of gourmand fragrances; have a few, but none are what I'd call my favorites. But I do like polarizing scents, which is why I'd probably buy Kokorico by Jean Paul Gaultier if I ran across it.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Animale Animale (chocolate) and Lolita Lempicka (anise).

The first one goes with any chocolate soap, the LL I got because Turin/Sanchez give it a high rating. I'm still not sure it's for me!

Aramis Tuscany, I swear, smells like Italian food or herbs ...

AA

Gourmand is not my favorite category of fragrances, but I do love Xerjoff Italica, Roja Dove Sweetie Aoud, and Bond No. 9 New Haarlem.

Like others, I do not think of myself as liking gourmands. I suppose there is a matter of definition when it comes to gourmands, too. If a scent has big coriander or cumin notes, does that make the scent a gourmand. For instance, Serge Lutens Santal de Mysore. I do not think so. Is Lolita Lempicka, anise and vanilla, really a gourmand? I think probably so, but it is not quite like a scent that is dominantly coffee or, say, apple. I agree with Ad Astra that the reason I own a bottle of LL is Turin/Sanchez. I sure do not wear it often, if I ever have worn it. I like the way it smells, but I agree it may not be for me.

I would say my favorite gourmand that is clearly a gourmand is Slumberhouse Pear & Olive, not that I would necessarily ever wear it either. But I love the way it smells, and it seems like a nice work of originality.

Added: Axe Dark Temptation body spray. Dark chocolate, amber, and red peppercorns. It lasts about an hour and then fades away, but it sure smells good for that hour. Five bucks for a 4 ounce spray can.

Yacht Man Chocolate cologne. Notes of dark chocolate, cinnamon, and rose. I get 30-45 minutes of nice chocolate scent until it goes away. It's around $7 for a 100mL bottle.

DiorFeveDelicieuse450.jpg

Fève Délicieuse is my favorite, but in small doses.

well, closest in my stable of Guerlains would be L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme, and L'Homme Ideal. The only other I've found which comes in is due to the powerhouse of vanilla/brown sugar in the amber Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan. I can't say I've had a lot of experience in this wheelhouse, but I do appreciate the sampling list above - Thank you folks!

I do not consider the vanilla floral that is in most scents with vanilla notes to really be gourmand. That kind of vanilla is classic scentmaking, and does not much smell like food to me. Maybe that is a line only I draw, though. Chocolate, brown sugar, etc. sure. Those mixed with vanilla, sure. Like I say above, anise seems on a line to me. Anise and traditional fougere notes, not really gourmand. I am not sure pure vanilla and anise. :)

Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan--I have not thought about that one for a while. Nice scent!

Count me as another guy that doesn't dig gourmands. I don't want to go around smelling of chocolate, coffee, brown sugar, etc. The only thing I own which is gourmand territory is a can of Axe Dark Temptation, and rarely do I reach for it. I agree with The Knize that vanilla is not a gourmand, and that anise doesn't quite fit in the gourmand side of things.

I do not consider the vanilla floral that is in most scents with vanilla notes to really be gourmand. That kind of vanilla is classic scentmaking, and does not much smell like food to me. Maybe that is a line only I draw, though. Chocolate, brown sugar, etc. sure. Those mixed with vanilla, sure. Like I say above, anise seems on a line to me. Anise and traditional fougere notes, not really gourmand. I am not sure pure vanilla and anise. :)

Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan--I have not thought about that one for a while. Nice scent!

Rob, I can appreciate your stance re anise, rather than a food additive/substance it was always just a remarkable plant out in the fields I used to wander in my youth. It was only becoming exposed to different ideas to bring brightness to meats did the fragrance/flavor start to appear. Later, accenting bread and pasta sauces. So, as like your nose, mine would need other clues to come along before really appointing anise to the gourmand.

Vanilla/Vanillin, though. All by itself, it brings to mind baked goods, candies, and unique mugs of hot, lightly sugared milk. I'm afraid I didn't have the benefit of living in lands where the orchids flourish. And, when I had the opportunity to wonder Strybing Arboretum in Golden Gate Park, I was too visually centered and hopped up on antihistamines to smell the exhibits.

As I have said, a new wheelhouse for me. Thanks for the suggestions!

Alway happy to tell you more than I know! I have not looked it up, but I tend to think of gourmands as a fairly recent phenomena. So I tend to exclude classic perfume notes from the category. Whether that is incorrect of me, I realy do not know! It makes sense to me that a gourmand would be any scent that triggers memories of food.

I tend to think of anise as candy, cough drops, and alcoholic drinks like Pernod and those Italian digestifs. But it certainly is a legit component of lots of kinds of food.

Top Bottom