What's new

What are your favorite gizmos/tools?

Looking back over this thread, I don't know how I left off my immersion blender. I use that thing for blending gravies and other sauces, emulsifying mayonnaise and vinaigrettes, coarsely grinding spices on a larger scale (with the chopper attachment thingy), or also using that chopper attachment thingy as a small food processor. It's another kitchen workhorse.
What is a good brand / model?

I'm saving up bacon grease to make bacon mayo and I may need an immersion blender.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
What is a good brand / model?

We have a Braun and love it. We've had it for more than 10 years, though, so I can't speak to anything that might be on the present market. That said, we've enjoyed this one so much that I'd probably start with Braun if I were looking for a replacement.

Fish Turner. SO many Uses - Home fries, straining stuff from a pot, stirring, turning things on cookie sheets - Haven't tuned much fish so far...

proxy.php

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
My Cuisinart Griddler gets a lot of action. Part panini press, part foreman grill on steroids. Makes the best salmon of anything I’ve tried. Great for searing steaks during a snowstorm as well.

My biggest kitchen splurge has been a full block of Cutco knives. I know they get zero respect from the high end carbon steel guys, but I love them. They cut so well, feel great in my hand, and require no maintenance.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
My biggest kitchen splurge has been a full block of Cutco knives. I know they get zero respect from the high end carbon steel guys, but I love them. They cut so well, feel great in my hand, and require no maintenance.

You like what you like. I have a couple Cutco knives that I bought from my son's girlfriend when she went down the dubious road of selling them right out of high school. I like them just fine.

I am on record as liking Cutco knives just fine, too. No maintenance is a good thing for me. I do have other knives, too. For that matter, I find the knives Aldi occasionally sells to be pretty good.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Cutco makes some mighty fine knives, but you'll not get my Victorinox Fibrox knives unless you pry them from my cold, dead hands.

We have a Braun and love it. We've had it for more than 10 years, though, so I can't speak to anything that might be on the present market. That said, we've enjoyed this one so much that I'd probably start with Braun if I were looking for a replacement.
Thanks!

For steaks & chops, my Wagner cast-iron skillet & for chicken my Staub skillet. For actual gadgets though...

I do most of the cooking but sometimes cheat. A pizza screen makes a difference on frozen pizza crusts -

20110503-protips-pizza-screen.JPG

I use a corrugated chopper all the time. Great for salad veg or curry/stew veg, the cuts hold dressing or sauce -

serveimage.jpg

Finally, the Instapot! Took me a long time to embrace it but this thing rocks -

ser veimage.jpg

Some good stuff here... Love my vaccum sealer too.. Missing from this list? A pizza stone. I have one i use on the grill. Fantastic with a bunch of folks in the backyard. I love and so does everyone who's partaken from it.

I have a gigantic Chinese cleaver that I bought for a song at an Asian food market about 40 years ago. This thing ROCKS. It can be used for almost anything.

I have an small Chinese cleaver and it has one main task, dismembering rutabagas at Thanksgiving. I can reduce one done in a minute whereas it used to be a dangerous chore with my mondo chef knife. Cleaver makes it easy.

Some good stuff here... Love my vaccum sealer too.. Missing from this list? A pizza stone. I have one i use on the grill. Fantastic with a bunch of folks in the backyard. I love and so does everyone who's partaken from it.

I've not tried my stone on the grill yet. I don't do much scratch pizza cooking anymore so a screen for frozen ones has been fine. But I'd like to do some scratch one and doing it on the BBQ just seems right, kudos!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've not tried my stone on the grill yet. I don't do much scratch pizza cooking anymore so a screen for frozen ones has been fine. But I'd like to do some scratch one and doing it on the BBQ just seems right, kudos!

I used to do that from time to time. Just build the biggest lump charcoal fire you can, and put the stone on the grill above it. Let the stone get good and hot (maybe 15 minutes. The pizza ought to cook quickly--a couple of minutes, give or take--but YMMV.

Technically, It may not be a tool . But my i Pad , is about the most handy thing I can think of. I don’t own a smart phone ,so this is my go to tool much of the time. What it does is amazing, when you think of its uses. And I don’t know how to use half of what is possible.

Technically, It may not be a tool . But my i Pad , is about the most handy thing I can think of. I don’t own a smart phone ,so this is my go to tool much of the time. What it does is amazing, when you think of its uses. And I don’t know how to use half of what is possible.

I don't even think about it anymore as I do it so often but my laptop is nearly always on the counter with new recipes.

Top Bottom