What's new

What are your favorite classic soaps?

Proraso Green
Cella EEB (<<< not really "classic" because this variety was introduced recently, but the brand is "classic")
Speick
Mitchell's Wool Fat
DR Harris Windsor

Honorable mention: Ach. Brito Mogno (not "classic", but boy does it *seem* like it. Heck, the "puck" is *bar* of soap...)

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I used nothing but MdC for over a year once, but I do occasionally like some variety.
Using a tin of SV now, a very nice soap but I fear it will end up to be very expensive. I now have the impression it will last quite a bit longer than 4 months. We'll see. I don't mind paying more for my "few times a month" variety soaps.

I would consider Mitchell's Wool Fat which I find superb but I understand that some find it difficult to lather. It is also fairly easy to obtain NOS Shulton Old Spice on auction sites and sometimes Yardley both of which work well for me.
I believe Mitchell’s has gotten a bad rap. It’s not hard to lather. They had some dodgy pucks last year that were awful, but they seem to have snapped back to normal. I can have a good lather ready to shave in 2-3 minutes. That includes loading the brush.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I believe Mitchell’s has gotten a bad rap. It’s not hard to lather. They had some dodgy pucks last year that were awful, but they seem to have snapped back to normal. I can have a good lather ready to shave in 2-3 minutes. That includes loading the brush.
I agree MWF is easy for me to lather, and I have never soaked or bloomed the puck like some appear to need, I can use mine with a damp brush when the puck is bone dry. The main problem I have with MWF is not the soap, it is the customer service, they refuse to acknowledge or reply to any email despite offering that function on their web site. That alone has stopped me from using the soap.

I agree MWF is easy for me to lather, and I have never soaked or bloomed the puck like some appear to need, I can use mine with a damp brush when the puck is bone dry. The main problem I have with MWF is not the soap, it is the customer service, they refuse to acknowledge or reply to any email despite offering that function on their web site. That alone has stopped me from using the soap.
Yes, their customer service is nonexistent. If you have trouble with a puck, you are on your own. I’ve been looking at A&E’s Kaizen for that very reason. But first I have to use up three pucks of Mitchell’s.

I see a lot of people mentioning DR Harris so I'll throw Cyril R. Salter's Shaving Soap into the ring. It's the same formula as DR Harris (made by the same company) but only comes in a single scent (a very nice Lavender scent!). It's also less than half the price!

Top Bottom