What's new

What are your favorite classic soaps?

I use classic soaps on a regular basis. For me they work better than artisan soaps.

The following always work nicely for me:
Tabac
Arko
GFT Eurcris
GFT Lavender
Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood
Proraso Green

I use classic soaps on a regular basis. For me they work better than artisan soaps.

The following always work nicely for me:
Tabac
Arko
GFT Eurcris
GFT Lavender
Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood
Proraso Green
I presume you are referring to Eucris hard soap ? If so any tips on lathering as the gamut of negative reviews on producing lather from this soap have put me off up until now.

I presume you are referring to Eucris hard soap ? If so any tips on lathering as the gamut of negative reviews on producing lather from this soap have put me off up until now.

I use two Geo F. Trumper scents purchased in the last few years (Eucris and Violet). Both of these soaps provide great lather, and will be replaced when used up, which is the case with the Violet.

When starting a new puck I always hydrate the puck the first dozen or times I use it, afterwards I have found that I do not need to.
  • Dribble some warm water on the puck to hydrate for a few minutes.
  • Put the brush to soak in warm water.
  • Shake out the brush and pour off any water that is on the puck.
  • Load a lot of product.
  • Begin to build the lather in the bowl/scuttle for a short time.
  • Finish building the lather on your face. You can feel when the lather turns thick and yogurt-like. I find that using the brush like a paint brush works well for me.

• I find that it is a very good soap, but it will take some effort to dial in. I like to use a soap for at least a week straight (or a month), this gives plenty of time to dial in the soap with regards to amount of water, temperatures loading etc. The GFT soaps have a narrow window when it comes to water temperature and amount.

I use two Geo F. Trumper scents purchased in the last few years (Eucris and Violet). Both of these soaps provide great lather, and will be replaced when used up, which is the case with the Violet.

When starting a new puck I always hydrate the puck the first dozen or times I use it, afterwards I have found that I do not need to.
  • Dribble some warm water on the puck to hydrate for a few minutes.
  • Put the brush to soak in warm water.
  • Shake out the brush and pour off any water that is on the puck.
  • Load a lot of product.
  • Begin to build the lather in the bowl/scuttle for a short time.
  • Finish building the lather on your face. You can feel when the lather turns thick and yogurt-like. I find that using the brush like a paint brush works well for me.

• I find that it is a very good soap, but it will take some effort to dial in. I like to use a soap for at least a week straight (or a month), this gives plenty of time to dial in the soap with regards to amount of water, temperatures loading etc. The GFT soaps have a narrow window when it comes to water temperature and amount.
Good to hear. Might invest in one at beginning of next month. If I struggle could always use as a shower soap I guess 🤔🤔🤔

Williams mug soap has always worked for me. Cella would be my choice across the pond. Both are classic tallow base soaps and they’ve never let me down.

The classics I like using are:

Bowl: Tabac, Musgo Classic
Stick (shaved into bowl): Speick, LaToja...really great performers
Tube: Lea, Proraso, LaToja

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Geo. F. Trumper. DRH and TOBS. Oldies but goodies. I am moving more and more towards some of the artisan soaps these days.

old school classics: La Toja, Speick, Palmolive, Williams, Cella. This, while not a classic is the only US artisan soap to enter and remain in rotation.

There's a puck of SV and Valobra aboard. Valobra though I love it is no longer and the SV gets neglected in favor of the initial list of classics. Wondering aloud if it will be replaced. (An aside anyone without looking it up know who did Wondering Aloud? Saw them in Inglewood in '75.)

Last edited:
My go-to soap for the past several years has been Haslinger Schafmilch, with Tabac in the summertime (lighter post-shave). I do still enjoy the artisans, though: some are very high fat so are best in dryer seasons but still very impressive in their own right.

Top Bottom