What's new

What are your favorite citrus soaps?

A friend sent me a sample of a soap normally out of my comfort zone, PAA Garden Of Bali.
I have to say I dig it...I am more of the old curmudgeon classics and always thought the more citrus scents were a tad opulent for me.
He also sent some Sterling Coconut Cream balm.
I smell like I should be on beach!
I have read some reviews that said the Garden of Bali scent was quite “floral”, would you agree with that or is it more citrusy?

I have read some reviews that said the Garden of Bali scent was quite “floral”, would you agree with that or is it more citrusy?

Definitely floral, at least to my sense of smell.
Not effeminate, but fresh and bright.
Still fighting the urge to get some, but fall/winter is fast approaching and that means for myself switching to different scent profiles.
There is no denying it’s mechanics are spot on.

Has anyone run across a quality performing soap with a fragrance close or identical to Cyril Salter Sublime Citrus shaving cream?

There is something about the subtle notes and simplicity of their formulation that translates into a clean zest or peel scent. The ingredient list describes grapefruit and lemon oil. I am generally averse to anything remotely lemon forward, but I just don't pick up any overt lemon in the Sublime Citrus. Some possibly related scents that I have tried: House of Mammoth Sonder (very lemon forward), Wholly Kaw Lav Sublime, Dr Jon's Hydra, Southern Witchcrafts Gravefruit II. The challenge seems to be finding a clean version that approaches something resembling Sublime Citrus, in a performant soap base.

In my, as of yet, fruitless quest to replace my Cold River Jardin d’Orange, I just tried Arianna & Evans L’Orange Verte shaving soap. Eh. It is a perfectly fine soap yet I am not crazy about the scent. I should have listened to some of the comments that it has a bit of a powdery scent. I did not notice it when I first opened the jar but it becomes evident when you wet it and start applying. I am still looking for a citrus soap that combines bergamot with some some green, woodsy notes. Mikes Natural has an orange, cedar wood black pepper soap, that sounds somewhat interesting, although they are sold out of all of their jarred soaps at the moment.

In my, as of yet, fruitless quest to replace my Cold River Jardin d’Orange, I just tried Arianna & Evans L’Orange Verte shaving soap. Eh. It is a perfectly fine soap yet I am not crazy about the scent. I should have listened to some of the comments that it has a bit of a powdery scent. I did not notice it when I first opened the jar but it becomes evident when you wet it and start applying. I am still looking for a citrus soap that combines bergamot with some some green, woodsy notes. Mikes Natural has an orange, cedar wood black pepper soap, that sounds somewhat interesting, although they are sold out of all of their jarred soaps at the moment.
For what it's worth, I loved Jardin d'Orange and, like you, I don't much care for L'Orange Verte... but I really like Mike's Orange, Cedar, Black Pepper. It's a terrific, unique orange scent.

For a pure lime, there is nothing (and I mean NOTHING) that compares with Mystic Waters Lime.

For a blast of citrus, there is Dr. Jon's HYDRA! Amazing. (I, too, love Dr. Jon's Savannah Sunrise, but there is actually no citrus in it at all; it is a mix of peach and a bunch of florals.)

If you want to venture into the cream side of things, I really liked Truefitt and Hill West Indian Limes.

Has anyone tried Gravefruit II from Southern Witchcrafts?

I like Col. Conk Lime Shave Soap, and I just had a four pack delivered today. Yes, it smells more like lime soda vs fresh limes. I still find it refreshing and delightful.

However (and this may have been mentioned here already) it’s no longer green! When did they make this change? It’s just the same amber color of their Bay Rum soap. It may be a small thing, but I found the light green color to be part of the fun of using it.

701D133D-164D-498B-BC5C-C7C4315178DC.jpeg
09B2AD10-BAB4-428A-90EF-74E8A1EF3C44.jpeg

I am still waiting for Mikes Natural to restock , I really want to try the Orange, cedar wood and black pepper.
Great soap. His Lime is good also.

Another citrus I would recommend is Spearhead Seaforth! Sea Spice Lime, a collaboration with Shawn Maher of Chatillon Lux. I used it today.

All of the above have been previously mentioned. One that hasn't been mentioned is Ribalta (limelight) by Westman:
1661729152088.png

Last edited:
Is lime a difficult scent for soap makers to keep it true in a soap? I like lime scent but have had more disappointment wuth this scent than any other. Particular failures for me were RR EO Lime and Maul Frankenlime. General citrus scents I have not had much trouble with, especially Nordost and Stay Traditional.

Is lime a difficult scent for soap makers to keep it true in a soap? I like lime scent but have had more disappointment wuth this scent than any other. Particular failures for me were RR EO Lime and Maul Frankenlime. General citrus scents I have not had much trouble with, especially Nordost and Stay Traditional.
You might try Mike's lime. It's a pure and straightforward lime scent, imo.

I tend to favor a bergamot scent when it comes to citrus, particularly when married with a woodsy scent, although too often (for my taste) it is accompanied with lavender or something else more floral.

Top Bottom