What's new

What are YOUR fashion pet peeves?

Great thread and it is interesting to see some pet-peeves are regional and some more universal.

An example of the regional; the bias against an OCBD with a suit. This is not only permissible, but embraced here in New England - yet shunned other sections of the country.

I will limit my peeves to men's clothing; as almost all tragic examples of women's fashion have more to do with who is trying to pull off a look, rather than the look itself. Call me shallow, but I will forgive a beautiful woman wearing inappropriate clothing almost every time

Number one: Men in the workplace who cant be bothered to have their trousers tailored. There is nothing wrong with buying dress trousers that are pre-hemmed to length - but if you have a 35 inseam and the trousers come in 36 inseam, get the them shortened to the proper length. Casual pants do what you will, but if you intend to wear them in the office - they should not fall over your shoes.

...Call me shallow, but I will forgive a beautiful woman wearing inappropriate clothing almost every time ...

I would tend to agree, there are always exceptions. For those who dislike yoga pants and ugg boots:

proxy.php

I'm sorry but I don't get the whole chinos and polo shirt look ???. either wear a suit to work or a sports jacket and trousers at a push
when I was working I am sorry to say If I interviewed anyone who turned up in chinos I would straight away turn off and it does not matter if they were the right person for the job or not they never stood a chance. I believe scruffy dressed scruffy mind.

in the next year or so, i will probably be moving from my trad-loving northeastern home to a more typically 'laid back' southeastern, beachy location. visiting friends there, i was occasionally ribbed for my dress (which i felt was pretty damn casual) not being 'laid back' enough - whatever that means.

memo to the people of the aforementioned beach locale: i have absolutely no intention of ditching my current kits in favor of your steady diet of boardshorts, deep v-necks, and flip flops.
deal with it, broheims!

Trousers that are too long, flip flops everywhere (instead of the beach), guys that never take a stupid looking hat off, shirts with dumb things written on them, untrimmed hair and beards; mostly people that walk around looking like they woke up in a doorway. Usually the manners also fit the package.

- Jeans that sag below the butt line - This makes me facepalm every time I see it...especially when the violator is wearing a belt as well.

I hate this. My commute to and from work and to my kids' schools takes me to places where this is commonplace. It irks the heck out of me.

I'm not really interested in her mind.

Those pictures look awfully photoshopped. And while she does appear attractive, I still can't stand the yoga pants/leggings as pants and hate Ugg boots. This can only be worsened by wearing pajama pants in public.

I would never show up for an interview in chinos/khakis and a polo shirt. Standard work day, however, is a different story.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Great thread and it is interesting to see some pet-peeves are regional and some more universal.

An example of the regional; the bias against an OCBD with a suit. This is not only permissible, but embraced here in New England - yet shunned other sections of the country.

I will limit my peeves to men's clothing; as almost all tragic examples of women's fashion have more to do with who is trying to pull off a look, rather than the look itself. Call me shallow, but I will forgive a beautiful woman wearing inappropriate clothing almost every time

proxy.php
proxy.php

... Miss, allow me to register my objection to your wearing of white after Labour Day ... and wearing a hat indoors.

Number one: Men in the workplace who cant be bothered to have their trousers tailored. There is nothing wrong with buying dress trousers that are pre-hemmed to length - but if you have a 35 inseam and the trousers come in 36 inseam, get the them shortened to the proper length. Casual pants do what you will, but if you intend to wear them in the office - they should not fall over your shoes.

Sadly, they all too often think that the length is correct. And often, they get advice from some ill-informed salesman in some haberdashery who tells them that they ought to be that long.

Short sleeved shirt with a tie.

Do some searching here ... we had a thread on that very subject, which had to be locked because one or two "tie & short sleeve" believers just wouldn't face facts. :ohmy:

People who don't understand concepts, just rules.

Do some searching here ... we had a thread on that very subject, which had to be locked because one or two "tie & short sleeve" believers just wouldn't face facts. :ohmy:

Hey, if it was good enough for Ian Fleming, it's good enough for me. And the Falling Down look is epic, especially accessorized with Uzi. Except I've never actually sported this look...

Top Bottom