What's new

What are your daily shaving practices?

More often than not, I start with a shower at the gym a couple of hours before I shave. I usually wash my face with something fairly moisturizing there. Dove or something similar.

When the rest of the family wakes up for school/work and I can start making noise, I start with:

Wetting my Simpson T-1 brush (trying to document how one brush works over a full year).
Loading the puck of soap.
Wetting the face.
Face lathering.
Shaving (either with a DE or my wet/dry electric).
Spritz of Clubman Lilac Vegetal that I have stored in a pump bottle.

Takes me about 7-10 minutes tops.

At night, I normally wash my face again with Dove or an olive oil based soap and apply witch hazel. I used to use a moisturizer but even the most sensitive skin ones I found caused red marks to appear after daily use. The Dove or olive oil soap works wonders at keeping my skin moisturized so I don't fool with the lotions or creams anymore.

Daily shaver. Every day. 7 days a week.

PROCESS
Get up at 3 or 4 in the morning on work days, 6am on the weekend.
Immediately get to it.
Set out soap, brush, and razor.
Splash cold water on my face.
3 pass shave.
Clean razor and brush.
Put stuff away.
Thoroughly clean sink, faucet and counter.
(Awake for about 20 minutes at this point.)
Shower.
Splash cold water on face.
Wipe down the tile.
Tidy up myself and the bathroom.
Apply aftershave.
Done.

GEAR
-AP Shave custom handle with 24mm G5C knot
-Henson AL13 Medium
-Wizamet blades
-My own blend aftershave
Testing different soaps, but my favorites so far are:
PAA CK6 Scentsless
and
Canada Shaving soap

Last edited:
I usually like to take a hot shower first. Then, I use a little Cremo Original on my wet face, followed by Proraso Pre-Shave (Eucalyptus and Menthol).

I let that soak on my face while I warm up some water for my Dirtybird Scuttle and soak my Parker BCPB brush in warm water. I put an Almond size dollop of Proraso Green Shave Cream on the brush and work-up a lather in the Scuttle, and then, lather my face.

Since I recently purchased the RazoRock Game Changer 68-P and 84-P, I've been swapping between the two, 5 shaves each per Astra SP.

I make one pass WTG, one pass ATG, and finally a pass XTG. I rinse with cold water between each pass and re-lather. At this point, maybe a little touch-up on the 'briar patches' on each side of Adam's Apple.

This is followed by applying Alum and a Nivea Aftershave Balm.

It takes me about 30 minutes to shower and complete the ritual.

And, that's it. Nice and simple without too much fuss.

b/r

ON_1

Last edited:
I'm a shower shaver as I never could get a good lather going at the sink. I do my shower bits & bobs i.e. wash hair etc. then it's shave time:

1. prep the face with a warm, soaking wet flannel.
2. face lather with whatever soap/cream and brush combo I've chosen for that day.
3. do a 2 pass shave.
4. thoroughly rinse the old visage.
5. step out of shower and dry off.
6. apply aftershave.

Job done 👍

After years of shaving in the morning I recently switched to shaving at night, as shaving in the cold morning hasn't been that appealing to me in the last months. Also shaving is a nice wind down at night as opposed to sometimes stressful mornings.

1. Wash my face and dome using a gentle cleanser (either Korres Greek Yoghurt Face Cleanser or Esbjerg FaceWash)
2. Build a lather on my dome (mostly using shaving soaps atm)
3. 2 Passes on the dome (WTG followed by XTG)
4. Apply lather that still is in the brush on the cheeks and neck
5. Shave WTG on the aforementioned area
6. If there is any lather left in the brush - apply it on the whole head and let it sit there while I clean my equipment
7. Take a shower
8. Dry off
9. Apply Zingari Man Recovery Splash
(Optional: 10. Apply Proraso Sensitive Aftershave Balm; but looking for a scentless alternative)

Voila.

Don't have a "go to" razor, I have 9 in the rotation. Blade that works well in all my razors is the Astra SP (Green). Brushes also get rotated, but all of them synthetic.

In the morning I do have an "extension" of the hobby in that after I wash my face with cold water I do currently apply either Proraso Green Splash or Barrister & Mann Bay Rum AS Splash. In the summer I plan to use House of Mammoth "Z", which is scentless and has synthetic menthol.

Shave 7 days a week, 4 pass shave. Lupo .72 or GC .84 oc. Variety of blades nacet, rapira ss , bic cp, and others.
Weekdays shave stick lather face soon as hit bathroom. Continue with normal bathroom routine and shower. Reapply lather and 3 pass shave followed by applying a thin wet lather for a 4th quick clean up pass. Rinse with cold water, dry face and a/s of choice. I use very light pressure especially on last pass, let razor just glide all over especially neck area.
On weekends same except soak boar brush while in shower. Sounds more complicated than it is.

I've only been DE shaving a few months but have picked up so many good tips on this forum...... Currently my daily routine is

Hot shower and use a high glycerine handmade soap to soften my wire like stubble.
Soak my synthetic Yaqi either the 28mm tuxedo or 24mm Moka while I use a discontinued Origins for men blade runner cream as a bit of a pre shave. Rinse with warm water and either bowl lather or face lather Cella red or goodfellas smile shibusa 2 or Tallow No1.
Currently shaving with a shimmed Muhle R89 with a wizamet SI...... Love these blades.
Then to finish off it's a warm water rinse then cold. Alum block rub and rinse again with cold water and finally Thayer's WH aloe vera unscented and Nivea sensitive balm and a few sprays of Dior Sauvage or a dupe Chanel Bleu behind the ears and I'm feeling a million dollars 😂
Welcome to the club

Long time daily shaver here.

I prefer to clean up at night. Usually start with hot shower but I then hop out and shave with cold water at the sink.

Routine is almost always:

1. Get the face good and wet
2. Face lather some LASSC Black Void
3. 1/1.5 passes with RR Mentor loaded w/ Bic Chrome blade
4. Cold water rinse
5. Couple light pats w/ Aveeno Fragrance-free lotion
6. One spritz Proraso Azur Lime

My beard is somewhere between light and medium so I'm usually good to go all the next day no problem.

Also, shaving w/ cold water and using pretty aggro razor and blade are the things that got me to daily. Back when I used hot water prep and mild razors and smooth blades I always had to let my face recover for a day. Go figure. 🤷‍♂️

Long time daily shaver here.

I prefer to clean up at night. Usually start with hot shower but I then hop out and shave with cold water at the sink.

Routine is almost always:

1. Get the face good and wet
2. Face lather some LASSC Black Void
3. 1/1.5 passes with RR Mentor loaded w/ Bic Chrome blade
4. Cold water rinse
5. Couple light pats w/ Aveeno Fragrance-free lotion
6. One spritz Proraso Azur Lime

My beard is somewhere between light and medium so I'm usually good to go all the next day no problem.

Also, shaving w/ cold water and using pretty aggro razor and blade are the things that got me to daily. Back when I used hot water prep and mild razors and smooth blades I always had to let my face recover for a day. Go figure. 🤷‍♂️
Cold water all the way imo

Routine generally: hot shower, followed by 3 pass shave (2 passes and a touch up pass), always with a favourite radio/music channel on to underscore shave den atmosphere. Frequency varies: sometimes a daily shave in early morning, during other periods a close shave a couple of times weekly.
Hard and software: As years have gone by, I have narrowed my rotation down to relatively few favourites.
DE Razors: Fatip (piccolo and Grande), Merkur (34G, 37 slant), YUMA. Occasional straight razor shave, when I can be bothered to hone one well enough to get a good edge.
DE Blades: wide selection, but favs include (depending on mood of the day) Feather, Bolzano, Treet black beauty, Lord Platinums, Personna Med Prep, Wilkinson Sword (German), Gilette Rubie.
Brush: high end badgers, knot size not too big e.g. 22 - 25 mm, favourites include Semogue 730 HD Silvertip and Semogue SOC 2-band, along with pure bristle boars, again not too big, favourites include Omega 10066
SOAPS: a handful of oldtimers I keep returning to are Cella brick, Mitchells wool fat, Arko, Palmolive green stick, La Toja stick. I have been through a **** load of more fancy and expensive soaps, which I don't really think were worth the extra money. There is a reason why soaps like MWF and Cella have been around for so long.
AS: again I keep returning to a small handful of reasonably priced splashes that have stood the test of time: Floid Genuine and Vigoroso; Green Proraso; Pitralon Classic; Aqua Velva. Occasionally on a cold day, a balm too, like Proraso Green, or Tabac.

Always rising brushes very thoroughly, I believe they last longer that way.

I have a huge archive of more or less retired shaving equipment too, but the above listed is the small selection (more or less) which has proved itself through continued use and remains in regular service.

Been doing this for 20 years and it works for me. Not recommending it to everyone and I know many will think what I do is overkill and not good practice. Not bragging here, but I always get great shaves, rarely draw blood. Maybe, 3 times a year. So here we go.

I Soak my brush in very hot but not scolding water.
Run my faucet until I get very hot water.
Soak my face with the hot water.
Plug the sink and fill it half way.
Apply preshave lotion.
Build my lather in my shave mug
Apply lather
First pass with the grain
Reapply lather
Second pass across the grain ear to nose
Reapply lather
Third pass across the grain nose to ear
Reapply lather
Fourth pass against the grain
Squeeze all the silky smooth air like lather from the brush and apply
Drain the sink and run cold water
Run the razor under the cold water
Remove the lather with a final very very light touch with the razor on a very horizontal plane so the cold top cap spends a lot of time on my skin.
Rinse my face with cold water
Apply alum block
Squeeze, rinse, and towel dry my brush
Rinse, clean, and dry my mug
Disassemble, clean and dry my razor
Rinse and pat dry my blade
Hand strop my blade on the side of my palm
Reassemble the razor
Shower using goats milk or castile soap (if you have never used goat milk or real castle (olive oil) based soap you don't know what you are missing. Highly recommended.
Dry off
Apply witch hazel
Apply after shave
Repeat every other day.

Works great for me. I know it won't work for most. But honestly, I never get irritation, my skins feels great, and I get very good shaves. I don't know why I've always shaves this way, but am glad I do.

Soak the Omega 10049 boar brush

Shower

Mix up some Proraso Green, or face lather an Arko stick. If pressed for time I'll forego the brush soak and just smear on some canned goop.

Two-pass shave (WTG, ATG). If I'm running late, I'll use a Harry's 5-blade or an old Atra, otherwise it's an EJ DE89 or some vintage Gillette. Right now my favorite combo's a gold post-war Tech with an Indian 7 O'clock green.

Hot then cold water rinse followed by an alum block. Let it work while I brush my teeth, then cold rinse my face, pat dry and apply some Thayer's witch hazel with aloe.

Not quite a daily shaver. I have settled for every other day shave. I also like to do my shaves on evening since I wake up quite early to go work.

Set up that has become my go to weekday shave routine is as follows.
I take a shower and let the brush soak in old coffee mug. (I use only boar brushes)
Then I prepare the lather. Most used weekday cream is Omega shaving cream. Sometimes I use bowl to make a nice lather or just go straight from the jar.
I let the lather soak in to the brush while I prep my face with warm water.
My go to and favourite razor / blade combo is Game Changer .84 and Personna lab blue. I do 2 passes and 1 extra touch up pass.
Almost every time after the shave I use an alum block and then apply aftershave. Usually Proraso red splash or Proraso Blue balm.

Night shaver

Hot shower face wash let it sit till I’m ready to wash my hair
No shave oil
Soap or cream varies
Blades: GSB, Astra SP, Feather or Nacet
Brush: RazoRock synthetic
Vintage: Gillette, Schick or Gem
2 passes + touch-up
Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood Aftershave Balm

I wake up,
Put some cream in bowl and add a bit of water for blooming or I bloom the soap (no bowl in that case)
Brush my teeth.
Take my trusty Simpson T3 and smear it in bowl or soap just to get it started
Cold water on face and then I face lather
EJ3One6 is my razor of choice 95% of the time
Favourite blade is Nacet
1 pass WTG right cheak, flip the razor, right neck, rinse razor, left cheak, flip razor, left neck, rise, moustache and chin, rinse
Cold water on my face
Reapply lather
2 pass ATG right neck, flip, left neck, rinse, right cheak, flip, left cheak, rinse, moustache XTG, clean under nose, chin ATG, rinse
½ pass only jawline XTG from right ear to chin, flip razor, left ear to chin.
BBS every time
Cold water to rinse all soap residue from face and shaving gear
AS of depends on mood
Total time 15 min

Software changes on weekly basis, srarting Monday

Being in the military, I'm a daily shaver. Since I don't want to be rushed in the morning, I've become a night shaver. Getting a good close shave will last me a good 24 hours, so I enjoy my night time routine. I tell Alexa to play the Glenn Miller station and I start my prep. This just reminds me of my grandpa who used to be a Big Band leader and I used to watch him shave as a kid. So many good memories for me!

My teenage daughter picks out all my software every night! She likes picking out and smelling all the different soaps and aftershaves! Since my wife still cannot smell since she caught the OG strand of COVID back in 2020, she trusts our daughter to make me smell good!

I turn on my shower and I get the sink hot water running to fill my scuttle and let my brush soak. Depending on my soap, I'll put some water on it, too.

I'll take a nice hot shower and I rotate CeraVe hydrating cleanser bar and Noxzema to wash my face to get it ready.

Then after my shower, I start my shave.

I do use a pre-shave. Either some Proraso or my PAA Cube.

Start my lather in my scuttle and do 3 passes. I'm still learning so I'm still figuring out my grain pattern!

Post-shave is with a cold water rinse followed by my Alum stick/bar and styptic pencil when needed. Then either some witch hazel or splash and balm or star jelly to finish it off.

Then in the morning, I take a quick shower, add some splash that my daughter picked out the night before, add some CerVe lotion and I'm out the door!

So that's my routine! Thanks for letting me share!

My routine technique is slightly different from most of wet shavers, so it could be interesting to compare it.

- Razors & blades

I mainly use my Gillette UK post-war Tech, my NEW RFB #44 & my Merkur HD for a close shave. Sometimes my aristocrat junior #53 & my blue tip Rocket, but i prefer to use them for trimming my beard the day i don't shave.

The Gillette Platinum (Russia), 7 o'clock black super platinum (India), 7 o'clock green super stainless (Russia), Bic Chrome Platinum (Greece), Kaï (Japan) are the blades i use the most.

- Brush

Simpson Colonel X2L Best. The only brush i own and that's quite enough.

-
Point of shaving

I always shave in the morning and before the shower.

- Pre-shave technique & products

None. I always use warm water only & i never use hot water.

- The shave

4 passes : WTG --> 45° WTG --> XTG --> ATG

- After-shave

I do never use anything that contains alcohol, never. My only after-shave product is pure coconut 1st cold press non-refined oil.

Very cheap & very economical : you only have to apply a very small quantity after each shave so the products lasts very long.

And it repairs & hydrates my skin the best, it penetrates very well without any grease layer on skin.

That's it ! 🤓

Interesting, I was under the impression that non fractionated coconut oil was extremely comedogenic. At this point I use witch hazel and aloe and either do a cold water shave with hot water to wash the razor or I get lazy and use my king c gilette in the shower.

I shave midday M-F since I’m on an “off” shift. If I’m on a “normal” 9-5 shift I’ll shave at night which would be after a shower.

To keep it nice and simple.

I wash my face before. Bowl lather with soap, and shave with a Feather Popular and Feathers every day of the week. Usually 2 passes, but I’ll do 1 sometimes. Just depends how I feel. Then I’ll apply a balm, moisturizer, get dressed, do my hair and then SPF. Outliers include using alum instead of a balm and a brushless cream or gel if I’m in a rush.

I also just use the blade the entire week. I’ll change it at the start of the week in case I decide to shave on the weekend.

Last edited:
Top Bottom