What's new

What are your daily shaving practices?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I usually shave two to three times a week. Five-pass shave, WTG, ATG, side to side, and two diagonal passes. Regardless of what razor or blade I use, that will usually get me a BBS result. Pre-shave is always Lucky Tiger Liquid Cream Shave. Soap will vary. Post-shave is always Stirling Witch Hazel with Aloe followed by Lucky Tiger Face Tonic. Cold water shave and splash to prep and clean up.

@sirplatypus Welcome to the club! Lots of gems hidden in these comments. A concrete example of learning what works for you. Here is my version!

I am a morning shower shaver.

1. Get up and hop in the hot shower. Place my brush in a cup and let soak while washing the bits. I use several different bar soaps, and really enjoy the San Francisco Soap company bars. Use on the body and the hair. 2-3 mins

2. Brush (to many to list, but I usually keep 3 in the bathroom to allow for a daily rotation between the 3, then switch the group for the next month).

3. Lather soap (to many to list, agree with @Jens on the old time soaps are fantastic) If the soap is a triple milled soap, I bloom it while washing up (like SV). IF the soap is a Croap, no need to bloom. IF its my first time using a soap, I bloom just to be on the side of caution. BTW, I love @Marco ’s method for loading the brush and use it on almost everything. Almost…. When I use a cream, I shake out the brush before loading. BTW - Thank you Marco for teaching me a method that works every time! Build lather on the face and enjoy the smells.

4. The tool - I use have settled on one razor - an older Ikon and have used it for years. I found using one razor helped me dial in my soap lathering technique and the angle/pressure/passes that worked for me. I change soaps and brushes regularly, but I only use one razor. With that said, and after many years wet shaving, I have branched out and recently purchased a Timeless TI razor. Wish me luck!

5. The blades - I generally use Gillette Platinum Blacks, Personna Med Preps, and Gillette Special Blues. Get 4-5 shaves out of them. If I get a nick or a rough pass (rarely), the blade is the first thing to go. If the next blade in the pack give me any business, the pack is tossed and I switch to another brand from the group. Doesn’t happen often, but it has happened. I also find the first use of the blade to be a bit “sharper,” and always enjoy shaves #2-5 more than #1.

6. The passes - WTG, XTG (Ear to nose), XTG (Nose to Ear), final buffing when needed. Rinse and re-lather between passes.

7. Squeeze the soap out of the brush, apply to face and wash the tools.

8. Rinse of the face with cold water (hot water in use until this point), apply alum and let sit for 30-45 seconds. Rinse face again to wash off alum.

9. Open cap on razor slightly and wash out razor. Leave razor open (slightly = couple of turns, but still keep the cap from falling off) and place in stand. Shut off the shower, get out, dry off, and dry the brush on the towel.

10. Apply splash of choice (to many…. Seeing a theme here). No balm normally. I have some, but don’t generally find that I need or want it. Really enjoy aftershave with alcohol and menthol. PAA has some great ones. Mr. Fine/Tabac/Razorock are favorites. Added Grooming Department… Love it, just wish Mohammed would add alcohol!

Comb hair, deodorant, get dressed. Usually done in 20 mins or less if needed. 25 - 30 mins if I am really stretching it.

Good luck and remember to enjoy the journey!

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
BTW, I love @Marco ’s method for loading the brush and use it on almost everything. Almost…. When I use a cream, I shake out the brush before loading. BTW - Thank you Marco for teaching me a method that works every time!
Absolutely my pleasure, Sir. :001_smile

Top Bottom