What's new

What are you unpacking/ opening today, show pics or video, we love pics

A friend of mine gave me these items as a Chanukah gift. She gave me a Razor Emporium Best Badger brush and a sample pack of RE shave soaps along with this cigar box (the box was used to house the gifts; no cigars in it.)
33B747D0-98F5-4249-8026-898B0C1F2DF1.jpeg

Just received my RazoRock GameChanger .84SB and FaTip Grande.

View attachment 1574760View attachment 1574762

Slightly unhappy with the tool marks on the sides of the FaTip head, hope it doesn't indicate anything related to performance or alignment.

View attachment 1574764

Just finished shaving with the GC.84 and it was spectacular. Best shave I can remember.

Yeah, in the video review at Maggard, they warn that the fit and finish on the Fatip can be hit and miss, and rate it a 2 on a scale from 1 to 10. Minor flaws are to be expected I guess. My Testina Gentile looked OK and shaved fine, though it had some sharp edges on the handle.

Still the Grande OC is a very nice looking razor that gets a lot of love here at B&B.

Look what I just got for the 4th night of Hanukkah from my insanely great wife:

20221221_192100.jpg

From left to right, that's a synthetic shaving brush, a hand-made wooden-handled safety razor, & a badger hair shaving brush. She said that, given that my current brush "has seen better days" (the Perfecto Badger does have that rep), and ithat I'd talked about the differences between Badger and synthetic brushes, she'd get me one of each to compare. She's incredible.

-Z

Yeah, in the video review at Maggard, they warn that the fit and finish on the Fatip can be hit and miss, and rate it a 2 on a scale from 1 to 10. Minor flaws are to be expected I guess. My Testina Gentile looked OK and shaved fine, though it had some sharp edges on the handle.

Still the Grande OC is a very nice looking razor that gets a lot of love here at B&B.
At the FaTip pricepoint I have a certain amount of patience. Plus, it's made of better materials than a number of supposedly "quality" razors (like my first razor, a Merkur which is nearly twice the price). At the end of the day, I'm most interested in how it shaves--as long as I don't have to spend too much attention or effort to aligning the blade. Apart from those tool marks I don't see any burrs or other defects.
I wonder if I can get a decent photograph, but there's a notable "bump" across the cap of the RR GC that I purchased. And some scuffing. Doesn't have any noticeable effect on shaving, but it's a little disappointing nonetheless. Will try to take a photo.

At the FaTip pricepoint I have a certain amount of patience. Plus, it's made of better materials than a number of supposedly "quality" razors (like my first razor, a Merkur which is nearly twice the price). At the end of the day, I'm most interested in how it shaves--as long as I don't have to spend too much attention or effort to aligning the blade. Apart from those tool marks I don't see any burrs or other defects.
I wonder if I can get a decent photograph, but there's a notable "bump" across the cap of the RR GC that I purchased. And some scuffing. Doesn't have any noticeable effect on shaving, but it's a little disappointing nonetheless. Will try to take a photo.

Oh, I agree. I wasn't knocking Fatip, just pointing out that there may be imperfections in the machining and finish. It never bothered me on a $30 razor. As you indicate, it is still a solid brass razor, unlike my Zamak 34c which is twice the price.

I also noted a very shallow machining "line" on the cap of one of my Razorock Game Changer razors - a very light groove that was difficult to see except at the right angle.

They also warn (taken directly from Italian Barber site):

"Finish: Please note, these razors are tools, not jewels. We use a vibratory tumbling finish process that maintains the highest possible tolerances for the razors. This means the razors will not be mirror finished and will not be mark-free. The razors may have some milling marks or finishing marks. The razors can always be jewelry polished by the client later but our goal is to sell the razor at the best possible tolerances and lowest possible price. The metal-on-metal contact from the handle locking against the base-plate will create a ring mark on the base. It's common for handles to have micro dents from the tumbled finish."

Generally, I have found the Razorock razors to be defect-free. My others are fine, and still a great value for a razor that is CNC machined from solid stainless steel.

Top Bottom