What's new

What Are You Reading?

"Write More Good" by The Bureau Chiefs.

It's probably a little dry for someone who hasn't worked in news media, but anyone who's ever worked in the business will get a laugh on every page.

One of my favorites: "Working at a local newspaper requires certain skills: Realizing you just racked up four years worth of student loans at Columbia to write 600 word stories about an octogenarian pan-flute player who smells like cat pee."

Occupational humor, sure. But still, for anyone who still picks up a paper in the mornings could probably appreciate some of the humor.

Just bought it today, and I love it so far!

I've got this book. Although it does not include the first two novels, it's a nice volume to have.

What translation are you guys reading? Mine is by Pevear and Volokhonsky. I read their translations of Anna Karenina and The Idiot. I was pleased with both.

I just finished Pevear & Volokhonsky's translation of The Idiot, and have also read their translation of Karamazov. They make these works quite accessible.

Last edited:
Finally finished A Feast for Crows last night. I'm not sure why, but I found it much more enjoyable and readable this second time through it (first time I got maybe 2/3 of the way through and put it it down); perhaps the excitement of A Dance with Dragons allegedly being complete and in the final stages of publication.

I'm hopping between several books at the moment.
The Two Towers
Salem's Lot
The Spinward Fringe series
and The Dark Tower series

Just finished Starship Troopers for the second time, such interesting political views. I'm trying to get my hands on a cope of Moby Dick atm to read next

Most of my reading is done for pleasure. I am working my way through the Harry Dresden Series by Jim Butcher. I just love his character. A bit doofy but a good soul. He is a very funny yet brave character. I'm Currently reading Death Masks

I've also made a New Years Resolution to read the entire Bible, actually I made it about a week ago, but that's close enough to New Years, right? I'm still in Genesis, but I'm really enjoying spending a few minutes with my Bible everyday. I've also began an individual Bible Study of the book of Proverbs, covering and studying a chapter a day. The amount of wisdom in that book is astounding. Highly beneficial for one of any faith.

I too am reading the entire Bible. I am doing an entire Bible in a year thing. A little each day starting with Genesis and workin my way through. As of now I am in 2 Kings. I have read alot of it before now but in bits and pieces. Since I am a Lutheran I think it is important to have read the entire Book at least once.

As with the above I am reading the Book of Concord. Which is the book of Lutheran Confessions, official explanations and summaries of what Lutherans believe, teach, and confess. They are the definitive standard of what Lutheranism is.

I know the basics, well more then the basics but I am studying my faith trying to get a much better understanding of what it is to be a Lutheran. Sorry If I sound like I am proselytizing. Just explaining what Im reading . :001_smile

I also am reading Honky by Dalton Conley. Which highlights the racial differences in inner city schools. It is a comming of age story of a white boy growing up in a neighborhood of predominantly African American and Latino housing projects in NYC Lower East Side. It illuminates the vulnerabilities of childhood complicated by unusual circumstances. He shows how race and class have shaped his life and lives of his schoolmates. It illustrates the issues of inequality in society and an understanding of the privelage of whiteness, social construction of race, the power of education and tghe challenges of inner city life.
I am a teacher so I try to read books on education to better understand the students I teach.

Haha, now that I have gone through my list it looks like most of my reading is educational and professional development. When it comes down to it I enjoy it all so it really is all for pleasure.

Happy Reading

Top Bottom