What's new

What Are You Reading?

Fortunately, our local library had it.
AB8BBA6B-DC03-454C-BF49-294230056696.jpeg

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Just finished "The Dirty South" by John Connelly. Swampy goings-on in Arkansas during the Clinton years. Rich in detail, but it became a bit tiresome after a while. I found the characters, particularly the flawed protagonist, thinly drawn, save for the "big-daddy" patriarch of the county. Now there's a juicy old bastard.

Finally getting around to Jesse Singal's "The Quick Fix: Why fad psychology can't cure our social ills." If you suspect that lots of fads and movements are just so much B.S., this is the book for you. R.I.P. self-esteem and the like. Singal may have an ax to grind, but it sure is a keen one.

Last edited:
Just finished:

Devolution by Max Books. A good sci-fi/thriller from the author of World War Z. He has some things to say about our dependence on technology and our wanting to bend nature to our will.

Come Fly the World: The Jet-Age Story of the Women of Pan Am by Julia Cooke. Stories about several women who worked as stewardesses in the Mad Men era of flying, their lives, hopes, dreams, and how seeing the world changed their lives. Very interesting.

I'm more than half way through this 500 pager and it's Douglas Adams Hitchhikers Guide hilarious.

To Say Nothing of the Dog (Oxford Time Travel #2), Connie Willis 1998

First two in the Oxford Time Travel series are stand alone. Doomsday Book was a great read. Three and four - Blackout and All Clear ( an excellent read )i s one story split into two 600 page and change books. 0.5 Firewatch is a 92 page short - maybe I'll read next.

I've already got a few more of her books lined up to read later.

proxy.php

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
John Maclean’s, Home Waters ... in discussing this much anticipated book with him, he commented that it wasn’t intended to be a sequel to his Father’s great American novella, but in the end, this it what it became. As with A River Runs Through It & Other Stories it is a wonderful, nostalgic read.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm more than half way through this 500 pager and it's Douglas Adams Hitchhikers Guide hilarious.

To Say Nothing of the Dog (Oxford Time Travel #2), Connie Willis 1998

First two in the Oxford Time Travel series are stand alone. Doomsday Book was a great read. Three and four - Blackout and All Clear ( an excellent read )i s one story split into two 600 page and change books. 0.5 Firewatch is a 92 page short - maybe I'll read next.

I've already got a few more of her books lined up to read later.

proxy.php
You need all four books in the Hitchhiker trilogy. Yes, I know trilogies are 3, but that’s Adams for you :)

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
This is on my summer reading list. How was it?
One hundred pages in and loving it. Good, plausible and accessible "hard" sci-fi--the kind that Weir did so well in "The Martian."

As it is a long book, I do hope Weir can maintain the pacing and suspense as we try to save the earth. Me, I'm about to knock off a few hundred more pages before lunch.

One hundred pages in and loving it. Good, plausible and accessible "hard" sci-fi--the kind that Weir did so well in "The Martian."

As it is a long book, I do hope Weir can maintain the pacing and suspense as we try to save the earth. Me, I'm about to knock off a few hundred more pages before lunch.

Good to hear he's back in form. I loved The Martian but his follow up, Artemis, wasn't as good. I feel obligated to read the new one, as it's about a middle school science teacher - and that's what I am!

Just finishing up The Elephant in the Room: One Fat Man's Quest to Get Smaller in a Growing America by Tommy Tomlinson. A painfully self-aware, and at times funny, look at the authors lifelong struggle with being overweight.

Top Bottom