What's new

What Are You Reading?

I finished the second in Asimov's Foundation trilogy, 'Foundation and Empire,' on audio yesterday, and quickly snapped up and started the last one, 'Second Foundation.' Great story so far (though I had the second one figured out waaaaaay ahead of time). I'm hoping to complete it (and should) before the AppleTV+ adaptation launches this year.

Reading "The Burning Edge. Travels through irradiated Belarus".

If you're familiar with the YouTube channel "bald and bankrupt", you know the Author.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Just finished "7½ Lessons About the Brain." A snapshot of current thinking about how the damn thing works (or doesn't). Very short. Almost a pamphlet rather than a book.

A certain former politician. One that is articulate, intelligent, well spoken, and actually reads books. ;) He puts out his reading list every year and I'm 100% certain both of those titles were on it a couple of years ago.

An intelligent president that reads books? Huh?? I’ll check out his reading list. Thanks for the tip. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After John LeCarre' passed recently, I decided to go back and read several of his classics. I wanted to read several of his George Smiley books (9 or 10 total), so found a good recommendation online of the 3 to read and in which order. I recently finished The Spy Who Came in from the Cold and am now about a third of the way through Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. LeCarre' is a genius, and frankly, it's quite refreshing to read espionage and spy thrillers where the work is more cerebral than the technology driving game of today.

[ goodreads ]

proxy.php

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
"Bloodline" by Jess Lourey. Not promising. So far, it reads like a knock-off of "Rosemary's Baby," It's just one of those books that finds its way onto my Kindle, either because it was cheap or free.

"The Fabric of Civilization" by Virginia Postrel. A history of threads, cloth and clothing that's almost too detailed in spots. Postrel reminds us that technologies we take for granted--spinning and weaving--were the high tech industrial wonders not of the later industrial revolution, but of Renaissance Italy. Fascinating stuff, the kind Postrel always delivers.

Next on the stack, "Atomic Habits" by James Clear. I generally eschew self-help books, but this one looks promising. And I need a lot of help.:tongue_sm

Finished Ready Player Two. It was ok, but will make a great Spielberg movie. I was a teenager in the 80’s so i love the old school references.

Resuming A Gentleman in Moscow. 👍

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Top Bottom