What's new

What Are You Reading?

Persuader, a Jack Reacher novel, by Lee Child. I am confused. Apparently this book came out in hardcover in 2003--said to be the 7th in the Reacher series--and paperback in 2009. But was just released today on Audible. I thought I had read all the Reacher books going back. I guess not as this one does not seem familiar, but I could be wrong. It seems to have had a different cover in hard copy than what Audible displays, and the hard copy cover does look familiar to me. Anyone have any insight into why this would just be hittting Audible? When I pre-ordered it some time ago, I assumed it was new.

Seems like standard Reacher stuff, so a guilty, but very real, pleasure.

Over the weekend I finished Richard Powers's "The Overstory." My original impression posted in this thread stands; it's an amazing book

You and I rarely disagree on books, Bob, so I am going to have to give this one another shot. I think I got about 20% in on Audible and just lost all interest. Maybe not that far. I am supposed to read it for coed book club, assuming we ever have it again!

Persuader, a Jack Reacher novel, by Lee Child. I am confused. Apparently this book came out in hardcover in 2003--said to be the 7th in the Reacher series--and paperback in 2009. But was just released today on Audible. I thought I had read all the Reacher books going back. I guess not as this one does not seem familiar, but I could be wrong. It seems to have had a different cover in hard copy than what Audible displays, and the hard copy cover does look familiar to me. Anyone have any insight into why this would just be hittting Audible? When I pre-ordered it some time ago, I assumed it was new.

I'm open to Reacher, but I read The Killing Floor and maybe 1/3 of the second book but it wasn't doing it for me. Are there any standouts that you would recommend or--at risk of sounding judgmental--do you think the series improves at some point? I think it is only natural for a series to improve as authors become more experienced.

You and I rarely disagree on books, Bob, so I am going to have to give this one another shot. I think I got about 20% in on Audible and just lost all interest. Maybe not that far. I am supposed to read it for coed book club, assuming we ever have it again!

Rob-This book has a very long arc. The backstories don’t end until 150 pages in, all of which are necessary for the meat of the 200 pages of action that follow. I found it worthwhile to stick with, and for me, was much more enjoyable than the other challenging book I tackled in 2020, Moby Dick.

I'm open to Reacher, but I read The Killing Floor and maybe 1/3 of the second book but it wasn't doing it for me. Are there any standouts that you would recommend or--at risk of sounding judgmental--do you think the series improves at some point? I think it is only natural for a series to improve as authors become more experienced.

Hard for me to remember the individual various books in the series and I do not think I read them in order, so this response is going to be a bit impressionistic. And I do not think the Reacher books lend themselves to a lot of in-depth analysis, whereas I would say that Michael Connelly's Bosch books definitely do.

My recollection though is that the first five or so books were not as well written and Child had not quite re his groove as to what a Reacher book should be. In particular, I thought the "love" scenes were clumsy, unconvincing, did not nothing to advance the story, and were sort of painful to read. Then I think there were quite a few Reacher books that were top of his game Child/Reacher efforts, within the limits of the genre, of course. My recollection is that I really liked the last couple of Reacher books and thought Child was back to form, whereas the two or three right before that seemed phoned in, or at least not as much fun as the previous ones. My recollection is that not everyone thought that and felt that the whole series had gotten to repetitive plot-wise. I find myself very tolerant of the plot repeats. I think the books are best when there is a lot of action, I suppose with a good build up to the action.

Again, these books are guilty pleasures to me. Pure entertainment. On some level there is only so good they are going to be, and one has to have a suspension of disbelief. Reacher is a great character, and Child does a wonderful job of presenting a purely imaginary person. Something like Marvel comics. But I really appreciate them.

So, bottom line, you may not end up liking Reacher at all, but the books do vary quite a bit over the run quality-wise to a more or less "fan" like me.

as much more enjoyable than the other challenging book I tackled in 2020, Moby Dick.
I will not argue with that! You may have put your finger on why Overstory did not keep my attention. I will try to press through the first part. It has gotten amazing reviews, that is certain, including from you, which is something I pay attention to!

I'm reading "Trash of The Count's Family" which is a Korean-translated web novel, and it is very fun. The main character gets transported into the fantasy book he was reading as one of the antagonists but ends up changing the story drastically. He becomes friends with the protagonist, collects a bunch of 'minions' on his travels, and gets a lot of political power, though he is weak. It was funny how he seemed to 'know' everything but that was just because he had read the book.

Thanks for the detailed Reacher rundown. Of course I know they are thrillers and as I said I am open to that. I was an English and Classical Studies double major in college; at that time I read a lot of ancient Greek and contemporary American avant-garde poetry. Now I have two children under 3 and most of my reading is done late at night in bed; thrillers keep me hooked. I might check out Tripwire I know they made a movie of that one.

The Graveyard Book, Neil Gaiman's Hugo Award-winning 2008 young adult fantasy novel modeled in essence on Kipling's Jungle Book. Witty, imaginative, simply and superbly written -- it is the gold standard for fantasy. Adults can read it with the same pleasure as teens (I certainly did on my first reading last year, and am enjoying it all over again). If you have somebody who "hates" fantasy stories, or liked Harry Potter and doesn't know where to go next, have him try this one.

I really like the Travis McGee books. I definitely will read all of them. I haven't read many of MacDonald's other books. I enjoyed The Executioners which was adapted to the movies as Cape Fear. The book is much darker than the film in terms of the main character Sam Bowden and why Max Cady is out to get him.

The Travis McGee books also feature murderous psychopaths!
. . .
Just about anything with MacDonald's name on it is worth reading more than once. He was called "the John O'Hara of crime fiction" for good reason. Particular favorites of mine (aside from the McGees) are Murder in the Wind and the big novel Condominium (both featuring hurricanes), and his science fiction novels Ballroom of the Skies and The Girl, the God Watch, and Everything.

Sharyl Attkisson's "Slanted." Vince Flynn's "Kill Shot."

Also, Ira Levin's "A Kiss Before Dying," which reads like a novelization of the screenplay in which a young Robert Wagner murders a young Joanne Woodward. "An American Tragedy" wannabe from the 'fifties.

Next up: "Street Without Joy" by Bernard Fall.
A Kiss Before Dying was Levin's first novel, completed when he was only 21. Stephen King points out that its structure is immune to The Reader Who Looks in the Back to See How It Comes Out. The real screeching bombshell in the plot is at about the halfway mark. If you happen across it without reading the preceding pages, it means nothing; but if you have read up to then, it means everything.

King also points out that Levin is the "Swiss watchmaker" of novelists; he makes what other thriller writers do look like Amateur Night. It's why most of the films adapted from Levin's books are pretty darn close to what he wrote. (He's also been lucky in the screenwriters and directors who've adapted his stuff.)

Finished Code Girls. Did not realize the extent that intercepted messages had on WWII naval battles / enemy sinkings. The near real time feedback on breaking codes / messages and the following direct military action was amazing.

proxy.php

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Hard for me to remember the individual various books in the series and I do not think I read them in order, so this response is going to be a bit impressionistic. And I do not think the Reacher books lend themselves to a lot of in-depth analysis, whereas I would say that Michael Connelly's Bosch books definitely do.

My recollection though is that the first five or so books were not as well written and Child had not quite re his groove as to what a Reacher book should be. In particular, I thought the "love" scenes were clumsy, unconvincing, did not nothing to advance the story, and were sort of painful to read. Then I think there were quite a few Reacher books that were top of his game Child/Reacher efforts, within the limits of the genre, of course. My recollection is that I really liked the last couple of Reacher books and thought Child was back to form, whereas the two or three right before that seemed phoned in, or at least not as much fun as the previous ones. My recollection is that not everyone thought that and felt that the whole series had gotten to repetitive plot-wise. I find myself very tolerant of the plot repeats. I think the books are best when there is a lot of action, I suppose with a good build up to the action.

Again, these books are guilty pleasures to me. Pure entertainment. On some level there is only so good they are going to be, and one has to have a suspension of disbelief. Reacher is a great character, and Child does a wonderful job of presenting a purely imaginary person. Something like Marvel comics. But I really appreciate them.

So, bottom line, you may not end up liking Reacher at all, but the books do vary quite a bit over the run quality-wise to a more or less "fan" like me.

I will not argue with that! You may have put your finger on why Overstory did not keep my attention. I will try to press through the first part. It has gotten amazing reviews, that is certain, including from you, which is something I pay attention to!
"The Persuader" was my introduction to the backwater world of Reacher, and as such, stands as my favorite. Child's formula, wherein Reacher rolls into small towns where all is not well, has worn thin for me; his last two books were particularly disappointing, frustrating even. They both shout, "you've been here before," dampening much of one's reading pleasure (guilty or not).

It's time for Reacher to step off the bus in some new and novel places where he can do more than just rescue the characters he meets while walking away from bus stations.

"The Persuader" was my introduction to the backwater world of Reacher, and as such, stands as my favorite. Child's formula, wherein Reacher rolls into small towns where all is not well, has worn thin for me; his last two books were particularly disappointing, frustrating even. They both shout, "you've been here before," dampening much of one's reading pleasure (guilty or not).

It's time for Reacher to step off the bus in some new and novel places where he can do more than just rescue the characters he meets while walking away from bus stations.
Those are fair criticisms. I am liking The Persuader but not loving it so far. It does not quite feel like the classic Reacher is fully developed yet in this one. Maybe a bit too talkative. The love scenes seem a tad awkward to me. Good plot though.

The Graveyard Book, Neil Gaiman's Hugo Award-winning 2008 young adult fantasy novel modeled in essence on Kipling's Jungle Book. Witty, imaginative, simply and superbly written -- it is the gold standard for fantasy. Adults can read it with the same pleasure as teens (I certainly did on my first reading last year, and am enjoying it all over again). If you have somebody who "hates" fantasy stories, or liked Harry Potter and doesn't know where to go next, have him try this one.

I love this book.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Those are fair criticisms. I am liking The Persuader but not loving it so far. It does not quite feel like the classic Reacher is fully developed yet in this one. Maybe a bit too talkative. The love scenes seem a tad awkward to me. Good plot though.
Child is worth serious discussion, for when he is on his game, he owns the whole "heroic loner" genre. Unfortunately, he has been off his game for a while, suggesting that Child drop Reacher into some new environs.

Let's throw Reacher in prison (unjustly, of course) and see how he fares there; or, perhaps, Reacher could find himself in a corporate job (albeit temporarily) as head of security or something. Hell, maybe get him off the bus and onto an airplane that's flying into unknown trouble. Jack need not abandon small-town America, but he does need to get out more.

Another author whose franchise character has fallen into a similar rut is Daniel Silva. Gabriel Allon's Mossad adventures have become a bit repetitive (bad guys hatch plot, Allon assembles team, team mounts an operation, Allon vanquishes bad guys), and so it appears that Allon will be spending more time in Venice as an art restorer, dealing with bad guys in that milieu.

Successful formats, it seems, have their limits.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy

Agree, this is a brilliant book. I want to read some more from Gaiman, Anansi Boys is currently on my "to read" pile....

Agree, this is a brilliant book. I want to read some more from Gaiman, Anansi Boys is currently on my "to read" pile....
One that he co-authored with Terry Pratchett of the Discworld novels, Good Omens, is fascinating and funny. A demon and an angel on Earth find that they have more in common with each other than they do with their respective Bosses back in Hell and Heaven, and so find themselves working together.

Top Bottom