What's new

What Are You Reading?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Finished Post Office by Charles Bukowsi. Freaking excellent book. Raw, dirty, honest - nothing was held back. I ordered Ham On Rye and Women by Charles

Started Ham On Rye because that is the supposedly the first of his “autobiography“. Love this dude so far. So I‘ll read Ham On Rye and then Women.

A410173E-1BDD-4A1B-B76E-5CB0FDE29F4E.jpeg

8D4281B2-65DD-47EF-B273-FE5765AB004B.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
Finished Post Office by Charles Bukowsi. Freaking excellent book. Raw, dirty, honest - nothing was held back. I ordered Ham On Rye and Women by Charles

Started Ham On Rye because that is the supposedly the first of his “autobiography“. Love this dude so far. So I‘ll read Ham On Rye and then Women.

View attachment 1165156

View attachment 1165157
I am the biggest Bukowski fan. Have all of his novels, and most of his poetry books. Read Factotum next.

Just received and finished (in practically one sitting) The Tragedy of Errors, a 1999 book-length tribute to author and detective Ellery Queen. It contains a 1970 detailed plot synopsis for a never-written EQ novel, several uncollected short stories, and a bunch of tributes and essays.

The synopsis is terrific and would have worked well. The essays and tributes are grand too. One essayist tells us that the Japanese love EQ and the grand old puzzle story. And after reading Mike Barr’s overview of the EQ comics and how some elements of the original stories found their way into other venues (like Batman solving the puzzle of a real, solid house that disappears overnight!), I’ve ordered a copy of Barr’s comic “The Maze Agency” No. 9. In it, Ellery guest-stars in “The English Channeller Mystery”!

Any EQ fan should grab a copy of Tragedy of Errors.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I just finished reading all 14 books from Robert Jordan’s Wheel Of Time Series.

I am now going to listen to War And Peace via Nook Audiobooks. Complete and Unabridged.
I think it’s about 60 hours. Maybe more.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I have read it a couple of times. I really enjoyed it. But I like audiobooks while on the treadmill or outside running.

I am halfway through reading this one and am loving it so far.
Sorry but I cannot help myself. Hope I did not say this earlier. To quote, I think, Woody Allen: "I took a speed reading course. I read War and Peace in just two hours. It's about Russia."

I am reading The Overstory by Richard Powers. I am not that deep into it and did not realize it is apparently written from an environmental activist viewpoint. But it is real literature and powerful. I where I am now in the book is talking about the impact of the Chestnut blight on rural America in the first part of the 20th century, apparently as a metaphor for a lot of what is going on for the humans in the book. I had forgotten about the Chestnut blight, but I remember my Dad talking about it and seeing still standing, although dead, chestnut trees when I was growing up. It must have been a terrible thing.

. . . And after reading Mike W. Barr’s overview of the EQ comics and how some elements of the original stories found their way into other venues (like Batman solving the puzzle of a real, solid house that disappears overnight!), I’ve ordered a copy of Barr’s comic “The Maze Agency” No. 9. In it, Ellery guest-stars in “The English Channeler Mystery”!

I just finished the comic. It has a strong movie-like flavor, with different angles and shots. And the story is very very EQ-like, with a false solution followed by the true one, a "Challenge to the Reader," and plausible and yet bizarre murder methods and scenes. At the end, we get icing on the cupcake: a moment where Ellery counsels one of the private detectives he is working with -- echoing and quoting from a scene at the end of the greatest EQ novel, Cat of Many Tails.

I found Barr's website and sent him a note of congratulations.

Reading - ‘A Certain Idea of France: The Life of Charles de Gaulle’ by Julian Jackson; ‘KL: A History of the Nazi Concentration Camps’ by Nikolaus Wachsmann; and ‘Appeasing Hitler’ by Tim Bouverie.

When I can stay away from B&B for long enough, or shaving, or thinking about shaving, that is...😬

Just finished "A Knock at Midnight" (Brittany Barnett), "Battle Ground" (latest Dresden, by Jim Butcher), and "The Magic of Dialogue" (Yankelovich), all in the last week.

In various stages with "The Pocket Stoic" (Sellars), "The Coaching Manager" (Hunt & Weintraub), and "How to Think Like a Roman Emperor" (Robertson).

Beginning soon are "What Seek Ye" (Wilcox) and "Appalachian Odyssey" (Ryan) before the end of the month.

Sorry but I cannot help myself. Hope I did not say this earlier. To quote, I think, Woody Allen: "I took a speed reading course. I read War and Peace in just two hours. It's about Russia."

I am reading The Overstory by Richard Powers. I am not that deep into it and did not realize it is apparently written from an environmental activist viewpoint. But it is real literature and powerful. I where I am now in the book is talking about the impact of the Chestnut blight on rural America in the first part of the 20th century, apparently as a metaphor for a lot of what is going on for the humans in the book. I had forgotten about the Chestnut blight, but I remember my Dad talking about it and seeing still standing, although dead, chestnut trees when I was growing up. It must have been a terrible thing.
I like that Woody Allen quote. :)

The Overstory - that one is on my "to read at some point" list. Sounds like you recommend it? I may have to bump that one to the top of the list.

The Overstory - that one is on my "to read at some point" list. Sounds like you recommend it? I may have to bump that one to the top of the list.
I am still not that deep into it. I am listening on Audible. I actually screwed up somehow and re-listened to the good deal of the first part that I had already heard. It started playing earlier than I left off by about an hour and I liked it so much I just listened through it again. So I would really recommend it, but for the fact that others in our coed book club--we have not met about this book yet--told me that they liked the first part a lot and and then had unidentified problems with the book. I will try to update if I ever finish it. It is might long. I think some of the reviews say it really needed to be edited down.

I am still not that deep into it. I am listening on Audible. I actually screwed up somehow and re-listened to the good deal of the first part that I had already heard. It started playing earlier than I left off by about an hour and I liked it so much I just listened through it again. So I would really recommend it, but for the fact that others in our coed book club--we have not met about this book yet--told me that they liked the first part a lot and and then had unidentified problems with the book. I will try to update if I ever finish it. It is might long. I think some of the reviews say it really needed to be edited down.
Gotcha. Let me know what you think of it when you finish.

Top Bottom