What's new

What Are You Reading?

Since he took ill late last spring I've been working my way through Ravi Zacharias' entire corpus of writings. So far I've read 7-8 books; I'm currently reading 'Jesus Among Other Gods.' Such an attractive and inviting mind. His voice is missed.

I know a popular phrase to throw around is, "_____ is the C.S. Lewis of the 21st century," and I've heard it used to describe a few people, but for my money it really is Ravi. He spoke with such insight and wisdom but every word he ever wrote was grounded in love.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I think one of the greatest lessons Ravi taught me was not in anything that he wrote, but was rather in the way that he interacted with people with whom he differed in beliefs, culture, and even in some cases morality. If you watch the Q & A segments of his video lectures on college campuses you'll see what I mean. He was a tremendous model for how to be a grounded believer in a pluralistic world. He loved people, and that shone through, no matter their faith and culture.

"The Deficit Myth" by Prof Stephanie Kelton.

Lots of people will claim such-and-such a book is a must-read but this really IS a must-read book. I promise it will change the way you understand the world. It's a very accessible read which doesn't require any expertise in economics.

Govt spending & deficits might not sound very interesting but with the normal economy upended by a global pandemic which isn't going away any time soon, it's crucial that we understand the options available.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
....see George MacDonald Fraser's Flashman, for instance --

I've read all the Flashman books and I absolutely love reading GMF. Loved Black Ajax, The Candlemass Road, and Mr. American as well. I went through a Napoleonic Wars fiction phase about 10 years back where I read all of Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe novels, which led me to C.S. Forester's Hornblower and GMF's Flashman, and eventually all of Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels (which I ended up reading that entire series twice - so good)

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Am reading the new David Mitchell Utopia Avenue and while I've just started, I am really enjoying it. The only other Mitchell book I've previously read was Slade House (which is excellent) and I've got The Bone Clocks on my book shelf to read.

1599151947981.png

I'm going to look this one up. This is why I like coming on this part of the forum, great recommendations.

A couple of additional thoughts about A Gentleman in Moscow, that might be of use. It has been a while since I read this book, but my wife was reading it at the same time, and I remember telling her when I was starting to read that I was not liking it because I did not "personally" like the characters. That the protagonist seemed selfish and self-absorbed, and that if the idea was I was going to feel very sorry for his being stuck living in a Moscow hotel, albeit in somewhat stressful conditions and not in luxury, that might not work out, and that the entire scenario seemed a bit contrived. But my experience and certainly my suggestion is to stick with the book. I found the characters compelling and "indelible." Well-drawn. With good and less good parts just like real human beings. And the author creates a "world" that seems very credible and "rich" as the story moves long. No great effort at a suspension of disbelief seems necessary. djm2 is right, too, that the prose is excellent. I hate to come across as such a fan boy, but I guess I am!

Just finished reading Robert Jordan's Eye of the World, now I'm on to book 2 The Great Hunt. I haven't read this series in a few years and damn if it didn't suck me back in. I don't know if I can read the whole series again, that is a lot of books!

So many books on my shelf that I never got around to reading. Today I started my HC limited edition of "The Eyes of Darkness" by Dean Koontz, as originally written as by Leigh Nichols. Up until now, my favorite Koontz books from the 80s were my paperbacks of "The Door To December" (released as Richard Paige), and my advanced copy paperback of "Strangers".

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Been rereading a lot of Robert A Heinlein, everything, including some of the "Juvenile" ones.

Lol, I'm living proof of something Lazarus Long said. That old folks live in the past, as opposed to kids in the now, and adults in the future. In other words: I'm fast approaching my dotage!

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I'll have to look into these. I'm one of the oddies that have never seen an episode, or know anything about the show. Or even that there was a book series! Thanks.

The books were started back in the late 1990's, and 5 have been written out of a planned total of 7. Fans have been eagerly awaiting book six as book five was published about 5 years ago. HBO adapted it for television but then the show outpaced the books, which is unfortunate. The books are much more richly detailed and I would recommend them with no reservation. The television series while being well done (very high production value, large budget, good acting and writing) but as with most things put out by HBO it has quite a "raunchy" factor with lots of gratuitous nudity.

While it's definitely high fantasy it's a very engrossing, binge worthy series (each book is around 1000+ pages) that most readers will enjoy regardless. (I actually am not a huge fan of the fantasy/science fiction genre) The characters are incredibly rich and complex and Martin is an excellent story teller. I first read the series about 8-10 years ago and have now been listening to the audio book versions (I have a long daily commute) narrated by the late Roy Dotrice and they are first class.

I have been reading science fiction novels nowadays.
Isaac Asimov - I Robot
Jules Verne - From the Earth to the Moon
H.G Wells - Invisible Man
Arthur C. Clarke - Childhood's End

Top Bottom