What's new

What Are You Reading?

Gave up on Stephen King's Roadwork. It's probably a good novel -- I read it when I first bought the 4-novel omnibus, but remember it poorly -- but it was depressing me. And right now that's not what I need.

I switched over to a re-read of Larry McMurtry's Streets of Laredo, the sequel to Lonesome Dove.

Trying to read a few easy to read classics before I start tackling House of Leaves.

Currently it is The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler. Typical 30’s private dick noir mystery. So far it is excellent. 👍👍

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
“The Unknowns: The Untold Story of America’s Soldier and WW1’s Most Decorated Heroes Who Brought Him Home,” by Patrick O’Donnell. My son in the Army’s Old Guard, stationed at Arlington National Cemetery. Gives me yet another way to connect, but the book is fascinating.

proxy.php

The Gulf: The Making of an American Sea by Jack E. Davis. Reading the Prologue already has me shaking my head about what has been lost, but there seems to be a promise that the Gulf will always provide. I came upon the title while reading of the shut down of the Appalachicola oyster fishery for the next 5 years.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Can’t say I’m learning anything I don’t already practice but it’s entertaining nonetheless. Plus I found another author and book to check out from reading this; Post Office by Charles Bukowski will be next.

73A6B3F1-F88D-4886-A3AB-E3EDCA48E580.jpeg

Currently it is The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler. Typical 30’s private dick noir mystery. So far it is excellent. 👍👍

Great book. Good films made from it.

I am reading the latest Jussi Adler-Olsen police procedural Victim 2117. Assad has a bigger role. I like it. I am not sure I like it as much as most of the earlier books in the Department Q series. A little heavy on descriptions of torture, perhaps.

Last edited:
Just reread - “The Last of The Breed“ by Louis L’Amour.
A U.S. Airforce Major, part Sioux, part Cheyenne Indian, is
captured by the Russians, then escapes, and is tracked across Siberia by an expert Yakut Tracker.
It‘s an excellent story.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Am currently reading:
1598030053906.png

A Childhood is the unforgettable memoir of Harry Crews' earliest years, a sharply remembered portrait of the people, locales, and circumstances that shaped him--and destined him to be a storyteller. Crews was born in the middle of the Great Depression, in a one-room sharecropper's cabin at the end of a dirt road in rural South Georgia. If Bacon County was a place of grinding poverty, poor soil, and blood feuds, it was also a deeply mystical place, where snakes talked, birds could possess a small boy by spitting in his mouth, and faith healers and conjure women kept ghosts and devils at bay.At once shocking and elegiac, heartrending and comical, A Childhood not only recalls the transforming events of Crews's youth but conveys his growing sense of self in a world "in which survival depended on raw courage, a courage born out of desperation and sustained by a lack of alternatives."

Re-reading the classic Sci-Fi "Hyperion". It is part of a trilogy and it is one of the most amazing stories ever told. If you like Sci-Fi then this should be in your collection.

Hyperion_cover.jpg

Just finished "Son of a Trickster" by Eden Robinson, as an audio book. I enjoyed.
Now reading "Trickster Drift" by the same author, as a hard-cover book.

I've just received "Bob Willis: A Cricketer and A Gentleman" from Amazon. For those who don't know him, he was one of the greatest fast bowlers ever, and his spell of 8-43 at Headingley in 1981 will never be bettered, given the match and series situation. He went on to become a really superb commentator, and then passed away after a long battle with prostate cancer at the end of last year. Really looking forward to getting started.

Last year I got rid of most of my premium cable channels since I rarely watched anything on them and have generally cut my TV viewing time to a minimum of baseball and Turner Classic Movies. According to Apple, I have read every week for more than two years. I probably read close to 100 books last year. In the past two years, I have worked my way through all of the Michael Connelly Bosch and Mickey Haller books, all of the Daniel Silva Gabriel Allon books and much nonfiction. Among the best nonfiction books I have read over the past few months are:
  • The Splendid and the Vile - I have read many Churchill bios and histories, but Erik Larson did a magnificent job mining the memoirs of Churchill's inner circle to present a vivid portrait of Churchill between May 1939 and the summer of 1940
  • Lights Out - Very good history of General Electric over the past 30 years and how their financial engineering and lack of knowledge about key businesses they got themselves into destroyed the company
  • Spearhead - a look at tank warfare during WW II through the eyes of an American and a German tanker. Both kept journals, they fought each other tank against tank in Cologne and both lived into their 90's so the author was able to arrange a meeting in the early 2000's. A great book about an aspect of war I was not very familiar with
  • Ivan's war - A history of WW II through the eyes of typical Russian infantryman. Does for Russians what Steven Ambrose did for American infantry
  • Zahav - A World of Israeli Cooking. I have eaten Israeli food all my life but never cooked much of it until recently. The author, Michael Solomanov runs four restaurants in the US and his food is fantastic. Native Israeli, French trained chef and gives proper due to the entirely of Jewish diaspora cooking, which in modern Israel is mostly food from across the Arab world with hints of Eastern Europe...Yum
  • The Accidental Superpower and Disunited Nations. Two books by geographer turned geopolitical strategist Peter Zeihan. The Accidental Superpower in particular, written in 2014 sounds like the roadmap for Trump's foreign policy. Zeihan's focus on looking at power through geography, economics and demographics is fascinating
  • Meditations - Marcus Aurelius, Roman Classic on being a stoic person
  • The Spy and The Traitor - Amazing, true life story about how MI-6 turned a KGB Colonel and how the CIA, in a fit of pique, let the cat out of the bag
  • Reset - Thriller about an alien force attempting to take over the world. Mix Artificial Intelligence with biological warfare.
Ok, time to end the book report and go to work

Last edited:
Top Bottom