What's new

What Are You Reading?

A fun one.
FDCFAEB9-1B3D-4629-A350-21130E31AB58.jpeg

Michael Connelly Fair Warning. Hot off the presses. Audio version from my public library of all places, even though audible.com says it was released today. I am about two hours in, but it seems excellent. Jack McEvoy, the reporter, is back. As far as I know, Bosch does not appear. Titus Welliver does not read, which seems like a nice break.
My copy should arrive tomorrow - amazon hardcover preorder. I like the Rachel Walling character.

I have no idea how I managed to get a copy of this book so early. Am really liking it. Thanks for posting the video. I really like Rachel Walling, myself!

I am really enjoying it so far, although I am only about 20% of the way through the book. This was a time period of Japanese history that I wasn't too familiar with, so I love learning about that. I read Mitchell's Black Swan Green a few years ago, and I was determined to read more of his novels because I enjoyed that one so much.

Having recently finished Andrew Roberts' 2018 Churchill: Walking With Destiny, I was drawn to an old Book-of-the-Month copy of Churchill's A History of the English Speaking Peoples, Volume One: The Birth of Britain on my library shelf. Just a few chapters in, reminded of Churchill's command of the language, against my New Year's resolution to read more fiction, I've already committed to all four volumes. If you are ever so inclined to take this series on, I recommend you find a hardcover edition. It is worth the investment.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy

I've been working my way through The Chronicles of Narnia this year, have got 3 more to go. Somehow as a kid I only read the first couple and have been meaning to revisit them for a long time. Need to reread Screwtape as it's been at least 20 years since I've read it. Read The Great Divorce for the first time a few months back and it is absolutely brilliant.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Having recently finished Andrew Roberts' 2018 Churchill: Walking With Destiny, I was drawn to an old Book-of-the-Month copy of Churchill's A History of the English Speaking Peoples, Volume One: The Birth of Britain on my library shelf. Just a few chapters in, reminded of Churchill's command of the language, against my New Year's resolution to read more fiction, I've already committed to all four volumes. If you are ever so inclined to take this series on, I recommend you find a hardcover edition. It is worth the investment.

I've got his multiple volume history of WW II on my shelf waiting to be read one of these days. Am currently reading Erik Larson's recent The Splendid and the Vile a non-fiction narrative about Churchill's first year and the Blitz. It's very good, I should be finishing it this week.

Last edited:
I've been working my way through The Chronicles of Narnia this year, have got 3 more to go. Somehow as a kid I only read the first couple and have been meaning to revisit them for a long time. Need to reread Screwtape as it's been at least 20 years since I've read it. Read The Great Divorce for the first time a few months back and it is absolutely brilliant.
It’s a book you can pick up and put down anytime. It does help if you’ve read it but just fun for fun sakes.

I am really enjoying it so far, although I am only about 20% of the way through the book. This was a time period of Japanese history that I wasn't too familiar with, so I love learning about that. I read Mitchell's Black Swan Green a few years ago, and I was determined to read more of his novels because I enjoyed that one so much.
So you'd be just about finished if it was a normal length! I've not read Black Swan Green, but I've read The Cloud Atlas and Number9dream. He writes a compelling narrative, but I find the endings sub-par. Can't bother me that much though, I've got The Bone Clocks on my shelf to read.

Well, Spanker's troubles is over, anyway; I guess he's digested by this time an' carvotin' over the landscape in the bellies of twenty different wolves, was Henry's epitaph on this, the latest lost dog.

White Fang, Jack London 1906

My copy should arrive tomorrow - amazon hardcover preorder. I like the Rachel Walling character.

I just finished this. I will be interested in what you think, and I do not want to give away anything, but, consistent with the video, I suppose, this books seemed uncharacteristically for M Connelly to have an awful lot of starred-crossed lover focus. Much as I like both of these characters--Jack and Rachel--I do not really care all that much, if any frankly, that Jack feels bad and blames himself that they are broken up and/or does not understand why Rachel does not want to get back together with him. I guess I do not really care how Rachel feels either, but if was desiring to read at length about their relationship, I think I would want to know more about her side of it.

I thought the plot and action sequences were pretty good, if not groundbreaking for Connelly. Is this DRD4 or dirty four genetic sequence really a thing, or did Connelly mostly just make it up? I know some variations on DRD4 have an association with ADHD, but this is a pretty big extension from that.

To follow up on my last post on Fair Warning, I want to give folks a chance to finish the book before I say much more about it. But I will note that on the audio version of the book that I was listening to after the book was over there was a sort of podcasty, interview section with Michael Connelly and Myron Levine, who appears as a character in this fictional book, but is also a real person, essentially indistinguishable from the character in the book, it is said. After listening to that, I better understand what Connelly was trying to do with/in the book. He really lays it out at length and expressly there.

I am just finishing Rennie Airth's John Madden series (6 books to date), about a retired chief inspector, sort of English police procedurals, this man can write, recommended highly.

Finished John Scalzi’s Ghost Brigade ( book 2 in the Old Man’s War series). It’s kind of predictable, but an enjoyable read. I’m also slowly but surely coming to the end of Moby Dick.

Top Bottom