What's new

What Are You Reading?

Hats off to you. My wife claims to have read this in high school. Her suggestion was that it is not all that "hard" a book. But to take one's time reading it. It is no page turner.
Sometimes I think it's easier to read something heavy in high school because my mind was more open at the time. I remember running through The Sound and The Fury and really enjoying it once I got my footing.

Right now, my book on the bedside table is
Capture.JPG

This is largely taken from Entwistles aborted memoir and interviews with his son. After going through Townshend's excellent Who I Am and Daltrey's surprisingly good Thanks A Lot Mr. Kibblewhite, I can only wish Moon had survived to put pen to paper.

I just completed the most recent in Susan Hill's Simon Serrailler police procedural 'The Benefit of Hindsight', just starting the latest Jean-Luc Bannalec police procedural 'The Killing Tide, A Brittany Mystery', then to be followed by the latest Rennie Airth John Madden Mystery 'The Decent Inn of Death'. I have enjoyed these 3 series, good plots, interesting character development. My only complaint, I read them faster than the authors write. At my age, I'm a bit impatient while awaiting the next installment!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Badger and Blade at the moment. I do read often and different sorts of books but I would say Hemingway is my favorite writer. Jim Harrison is another superb writer. I have a degree in English Lit so I’ve read many I didn’t like at all.

I just finished “Good Omens” by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. I may seek out the series to see if it holds up.

Now reading “Vague Direction” by Dave Gill. 12,000 mile bicycle tour of the US and Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Avi
The prolog/introduction is the best part, setting the frame. The individual tales are rather adolescent. If I'm not mistake, however, someone also tells the "parable of the rings," later used by Lessing.

True, i find myself flying over some of the tales. It still offers a lot of enjoyable stories.

Haven't been reading before bed the last 2 months and, as a result, I haven't had a good night sleep in couple of weeks. So last night I went back to reading some James Thurber, before bed, and I slept like a baby. I bought my 1st Thurber book in the early 1960s in high school. I still have that first Thurber paperback book, and have since added close to 20 more over the years. Sadly, even today's English majors never heard of him. Whether you're an intellectual, a wordsmith or just a dumb-a** like me, he's worth checking out.

Eddie: The Life and Times of America’s Bad Boy by Ken Osmond otherwise know by his stage name,
Eddie Haskell. Since he passed a few days ago I thought I’d read about him since I grew up watching the Cleaver clan and Eddie.

This one is on my bookshelf taunting me. Let us know what you think. I enjoyed White Noise a few years ago.

Just made it to part 3, a little more than a third of the way through this 827 page tome. It's pretty remarkable, though I would be challenged to summarize the plot. Not sure there is a "plot" so to speak, nor could I tell you what it is about.

As an author, DeLillo reminds me of Mark Helprin and Haruki Murakami. Not in how he writes, just that they all are so imaginative. With all of them, there is no way to guess what the next chapter is going to be, the next page, even the next paragraph. But when you read it, you realize that was the only paragraph that could go there.

As a comparison, I just finished Booth Tarkington's The Magnificent Ambersons. It might have won a Pulitzer, but I found it dated and worse--entirely predictable. You can't say that about Underworld.

Sometimes I think it's easier to read something heavy in high school because my mind was more open at the time. I remember running through The Sound and The Fury and really enjoying it once I got my footing.

Right now, my book on the bedside table is
View attachment 1097064
This is largely taken from Entwistles aborted memoir and interviews with his son. After going through Townshend's excellent Who I Am and Daltrey's surprisingly good Thanks A Lot Mr. Kibblewhite, I can only wish Moon had survived to put pen to paper.
Ahh Thunderfingers.....

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Finally getting back to Tierney and Baumeister's "The Power of Bad."

About to start John Stanford's latest, "Masked Prey."

Michael Connelly Fair Warning. Hot off the presses. Audio version from my public library of all places, even though audible.com says it was released today. I am about two hours in, but it seems excellent. Jack McEvoy, the reporter, is back. As far as I know, Bosch does not appear. Titus Welliver does not read, which seems like a nice break.

Top Bottom