What's new

What Are You Reading?

Windows 10: The Missing Manual (May 2019 Update) by David Pogue. I have always relied on Pogue's "missing manual" books when switching to a new Windows version, especially for privacy issues.

I installed Win10 this month on a new SSD, but I can still dual-boot into Win7 on my old HDD, so I can transfer files back and forth. So far it's worked out fine.

Right now, I'm about about 5/6 of the way through The Promise by Chaim Potok. I've been on it for a couple months, but a day or two I decided I needed to finish it and have really buckled down and finished the majority of the book. This novel is the sequel to The Chosen and is an excellent novel (as is The Chosen). I highly recommend it, both for the religious debate and the interpersonal relationships and psychological. Reading The Chosen first is not neccesary but it helps.

I've also made a New Years Resolution to read the entire Bible, actually I made it about a week ago, but that's close enough to New Years, right? I'm still in Genesis, but I'm really enjoying spending a few minutes with my Bible everyday. I've also began an individual Bible Study of the book of Proverbs, covering and studying a chapter a day. The amount of wisdom in that book is astounding. Highly beneficial for one of any faith.

Finally, I began James Dobson's What Wives Wish Their Husbands Knew About Women, a non-fiction Christian and Psychological book on marriage (in addition to his religious teachings Dobson is a clinical psychologist). Hopefully the insights I'm learning now will serve me well in the next year or two when I do settle down. I was thrown by the title, but the book actually seems to be intended for women rather than men, but I've found the insights to be just a poignant to a male seeking to better connect with his partner and strengthen the relationship.

About 30 years ago I began reading the Bible in a language that is not my first language. It gives me more practice in the language and it makes me go a little more slowly so that I notice things in the Bible I might not otherwise have noticed. All in all, I have more reasons to keep up with my reading. Thirty years sgo I had to find a printed version for sale and carry it around. Now so many things are available on-line, often for a free download.

Whereas I am retired, I work at reading the books I bought once, but still have not read.

Walter Mosley Six Easy Pieces. I am back to Easy Rawlins. Sort of a Watts Harry Bosch. I seem to be reading these way out of order.

Windows 10: The Missing Manual (May 2019 Update) by David Pogue. I have always relied on Pogue's "missing manual" books when switching to a new Windows version, especially for privacy issues.

I installed Win10 this month on a new SSD, but I can still dual-boot into Win7 on my old HDD, so I can transfer files back and forth. So far it's worked out fine.

I didn’t realize Pogue was still active. After he left the New York Times for Yahoo, it was like he fell off the face of the earth.

When I said "great read" earlier, I meant Ready Player One. I am not literate enough to have listened to Clare Danes read Emily Wilson's translation of The Odyssey, although I am very impressed, as usual, with you, Bob!

I would consider Ready Player One an excellent example of how there is some wonderful youth fiction out there that folks of any age can read and enjoy.

When I said "great read" earlier, I meant Ready Player One. I am not literate enough to have listened to Clare Danes read Emily Wilson's translation of The Odyssey, although I am very impressed, as usual, with you, Bob!

I would consider Ready Player One an excellent example of how there is some wonderful youth fiction out there that folks of any age can read and enjoy.

As an 80’s teenager, Ready Player One was 100% in my wheelhouse. Literally every cultural reference in the book was deeply familiar to me. It was like I was protagonist. That’s tough to do.

Re: The Odyssey, this translation is fantastic. Beautifully rendered into 2000’s English. It’s a fantastic story and the telling is completely accessible. No stilted High-falutin’ English. It flows. Again, not easy to do. I hope Emily Wilson tackles The Iliad.

1984. Reads like my work diary.

Exactly. I'm retired now, but when I still went to work I phantasized that I would arrive at my office one day, and there would be a telescreen on the wall. If I would mention it to someone, they would pretend that it had always been there and probably denounce me.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Finished The Da Vinci Code. Really enjoyed it. I wouldn’t mind reading the rest of the series some day. I also watched the movie after I finished the book and the movie sucked. I typically like Tom Hanks, but not in this. Moving on!

Continuing my Bookcase Series, I’m getting started on an old one I had to read in school -

3069B245-D8D3-44E6-9938-3EDB6CA25A14.jpeg

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Just finished "Kim," by Rudyard Kipling, and am moving on to "Treasure Island," by Robert Louis Stevenson.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Finished the House of Dies Drear. A decent short read for an adult but I recall it taking me the whole school year as a kid.

3rd installment of the Bookcase Series: The Kite Runner. I’ve had this book for years! Probably 9 At least and never opened it.

0BA3ABD7-B7A0-405E-A161-4BDBFADB842F.jpeg

I'm reading Among the Believers: an Islamic Journey, by V.S. Naipaul. I like Naipaul's travelogue books. This one was published in 1981, so it's interesting to read it in light of all that's happened since.

The National Dream by Pierre Berton. It's the story of the construction of the Canadian Pacific Railway, starting in the decades before construction began in earnest and beyond the "Last Spike". It was interesting to find out the origin of the name for Kicking Horse Pass.

Life in a Medieval Village, by Francis and Joseph Gies. Doing a bit of research. Had just finished Life in a Medieval City by the same authors.

Blonde Faith, another in the Easy Rawlings series. I do not seem to be able to get enough. I do not know why I thought otherwise at some point, but the quality seems to hold up across this series.

Also Possible Side Effects, by Augusten Burroughs. One of my favorite essayists. Does not get enough love as far as I can tell. He wrote Running with Scissors, probably my least favorite of his books.

Top Bottom