What's new

What Are You Reading?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Just started Jim Butcher The Dresden Files: Storm Front. A bit elementary. I keep expecting him to meet his best friend and start wizard school.

The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty. This is a "women's" novel written by the same author who wrote the novel upon which Big Little Lies is based. Again, terrible secrets in the past come back to haunt the present. It's very good, the characters are realistic and the secrets are almost believable.

Just started Jim Butcher The Dresden Files: Storm Front. A bit elementary. I keep expecting him to meet his best friend and start wizard school.
I had heard such good things about this series that I bought the first several in the series sight unseen and, boy oh boy, I will never do that again. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, but that is a series I do not understand the hype for. I trudged through the first one and when the second book did not improve upon the first I abandoned the series. Good luck to you; hopefully you enjoy it more than I did.

Reading the Baker Street Irregulars by Anthony Boucher. I'm about halfway through and it's incredibly witty, very different from what I was expecting and makes me want to learn more about the composition of the Irregulars during the late 1930's and early 1940's (it's about the American Sherlock Holmes appreciation society, but also a murder mystery with loads of Holmesian references). I had the immense fortune to meet Otto Penzler about 30 years ago (a member of the Irregulars) and his enthusiasm for Holmes strengthened my appreciation. This novel is definitely a love letter to that wonderful society.
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Being a Holmes fan since the late 70s, I was interested in the book. By the end of the sample I read, I was hooked, and am thoroughly enjoying it!

I would like to recommend Mycroft, by Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

Eric; M, Karve Diem, BOSC

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Being a Holmes fan since the late 70s, I was interested in the book. By the end of the sample I read, I was hooked, and am thoroughly enjoying it!

I would like to recommend Mycroft, by Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

Eric; M, Karve Diem, BOSC
I saw Jabbar's book and was a bit shocked that he would choose to write something like that. I'll have to kindle it when I can.

I'm reading That thin, wild mercury sound : Dylan, Nashville, and the making of Blonde on blonde

Its a real interesting story about all of the people involved in making of this album in 1966 Nashville. I had to go back and revisit the album. It really is a masterpiece, especially the backing music.

Make a Joint Stool from a Tree by Jennie Alexander and Peter Follansbee and about to re-read some of Jason Aaron's Thor runs or crack open a Toni Morrison book.

Texas Flood, The Inside Story of Stevie Ray Vaughan. Excellent so far!

IMG_1804.JPG

Finished Dianne Hales La Passione and Neil Gaiman The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Just started George Duany's history of the Puerto Rican Archipelgo Puerto Rico: What Everyone Needs to Know.

Just getting back to Moby Dick.

Oh, goodness. My condolences. I have read Moby Dick. I'm glad I have because with less than 10 minutes notice once I was asked to read excerpts from it on stage in front of about 1,500 people.
The story is good. Reading anything by Melville is like swimming up stream in molasses in January.

I just finished the third Travis McGee novel, A Purple Place for Dying. I had to slog through it because I like the series, but there wasn't much about this particular story that held my attention.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Oh, goodness. My condolences. I have read Moby Dick. I'm glad I have because with less than 10 minutes notice once I was asked to read excerpts from it on stage in front of about 1,500 people.
The story is good. Reading anything by Melville is like swimming up stream in molasses in January.
A real page turner. Mercifully, despite his long sentences and paragraphs, Melville at least keeps most of his chapters short. Almost finished, though. Cannot wait for the famous epilogue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom