What's new

What Are You Reading?

The Rise of a D-list Supervillain. It's pretty good if you like scifi pop-culture, sarcasm and dark humour.

Victor Hugo - Les Misérables

proxy.php

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Robert Jordan
The Wheel Of Time
Book 1. Eye of the World
2nd time through this series

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
Although there are many great books, I'm re-reading "The Sun Also Rises" by Ernest Hemingway.

This book, first published in 1926, concerns a group of disillusioned American expatriates living in Paris in the 1920s and living a dissolute, hedonistic lifestyle. The American journalist Jake and his friends spend the time at cafes. He has a special interest in his ex-fiance Lady Ashley and they take a vacation in Pamplona to watch the bull-fights.

Even though this book was written in the 'first-person' and prose of the times and no doubt there are passages in a negative bigoted and prejudicial (besides many cigar [and cigarette] references...sweet), 'theme', but in maintaining a nuanced understanding...it was and still is a great book to read. :thumbsup:

proxy.php

proxy.php
"Some books leave us free and some makes us free". Ralph Waldo Emerson

proxy.php
Although there are many great books, I'm re-reading "The Sun Also Rises" by Ernest Hemingway.

This book, first published in 1926, concerns a group of disillusioned American expatriates living in Paris in the 1920s and living a dissolute, hedonistic lifestyle. The American journalist Jake and his friends spend the time at cafes. He has a special interest in his ex-fiance Lady Ashley and they take a vacation in Pamplona to watch the bull-fights.

Even though this book was written in the 'first-person' and prose of the times and no doubt there are passages in a negative bigoted and prejudicial (besides many cigar [and cigarette] references...sweet), 'theme', but in maintaining a nuanced understanding...it was and still is a great book to read. :thumbsup:

proxy.php

proxy.php
"Some books leave us free and some makes us free". Ralph Waldo Emerson

One of my all time favorites and the one that ignited my Hemingway passion as a young man.

I recently finished 12 Years A Slave, about to start Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. I was going to start on Guns, Germs & Steel but I appear to have lost the book.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
One of my all time favorites and the one that ignited my Hemingway passion as a young man.
Coach:
Thanx for the
Shout-out.jpg
, support and for sharing! :thumbsup:

Keeping it 'interesante', I find that each time you re-reading books...it puts you deeper in a frame of mind in understanding that 'you were there'....and a part of the drama / fiction that the story presets.

Also, I too have read all his books, but for reasons in my previous post.. l always find myself 'drawn' towards this
particular novel.
Shoulder Shrug.jpg

proxy.php
"[Reading] a book is a device to ignite the imagination". Alan Bennett

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
F52EE581-45C7-442D-90EF-2DCAB66F3A22.jpeg About to start Louis Theroux’s “The Call Of The Weird”. I like Louis as a documentary maker and interviewer so I am looking forward to reading this book.

On my library list for this weekend:

Handwriting; everyman's craft, by Graily Hewitt.
Senso: Japanese memoirs of the Pacific War
Recipes and reminiscences of New Orleans / [by] The Ursuline Academy Cooperative Club.
Roadside food : good home-style cooking across America
The cooking gene : a journey through African American culinary history in the Old South / Michael W. Twitty
Appalachian home cooking : history, culture, and recipes / Mark F. Sohn.

Christ Stopped at Eboli by Carlo Levi. A captivating portrait of his time living with the peasants of Southern Italy as a political prisoner of the Fascisti.

I received in the mail and started reading The Coin Box - Legacy of a Circuit Rider by Doug Radke.
I actually served as a historical/technical advisor to the author. It's pretty cool to be mentioned right out of the gate in the acknowledgments.

Top Bottom