What's new

What Are You Reading?

I would add to this listing the name of Joe Gores; especially, his "DKA" series. You'll probably have difficulty finding any-or-all of them in your public library, but they're all available new/used on Amazon, and also on eBay. Excellent reading; and, again, should be read chronologically.

I appreciate the tip

I've actually got a copy of Hammett by Joe Gores that I haven't read yet

Eric Tamms overwhelming Brian Eno: His Music and the Vertical Color of Sound. It's quite thorough guide to thoughts, experiments and music of Mr. Eno.

It appears as though I am the only one here reading fantasy; Eldest by Christopher Paolini.
Ken.
Living the fantasy of early retirement.

Great thread here.....

Based on recommendations I picked up here, I am midway through book 2 of the George R. R. Martin series, A Song of Ice and Fire. " A Game of Thrones" was outstanding and I can't put down "A Clash of Kings". I ordered the 4 books at once along with Mervyn Peake's The Gormenghast Novels.

I have been reading too many books analyzing the current state of global politics and found myself growing too cynical for my own liking. These books are a welcome breath of fresh air for me. Thanks again to all the contributors for your opinions.

-Scott

Right now I am reading Death in the Long Grass by Peter Hathaway Capstick. I believe that Todd had mentioned it. This is a good book. :thumbup:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Right now I am reading Death in the Long Grass by Peter Hathaway Capstick. I believe that Todd had mentioned it. This is a good book. :thumbup:

Admit it, Bob. You're still reading What to Expect When You're Expecting. :lol:

It appears as though I am the only one here reading fantasy; Eldest by Christopher Paolini.
Ken.
Living the fantasy of early retirement.

Heh. Count me as a fantasy fan - I like books that distract me when I'm reading for fun.

If you're into those sorts of books Terry Pratchett is my hands-down all-time favorite. Any of his Discworld series is brilliant, but if you've never read him before I'd look for, say, The Last Continent or earlier stuff. Later than that and you've missed a LOT of character development.

Hmm, let's see, I can come up with some other recommendaitons...

Non-fiction
Einstein's Violin - Joseph Eger
Michelangelo and the Pope's Cieling or
Brunelleschi's Dome - both by Ross King

That last one in particular is fascinating - all about how Brunelleschi managed to design and build the dome on the Santa Maria del Fiore in Florence.

As for what I'm actually reading right now? The History of Orchestration by Alan Carse. That one's for a class, though. :redface:

cally's war by john ringo
deals with the aftermath of an invasion of earth that was repulsed and the cleanup (in many ways).i think it is book 5 in the set.i missed book 4,have to find it.
have 'the interrogators' waiting.it is the tale of the us intel staff in afghanistan.
other than that reading guns and ammo and new american issues that a friend gives me.

I hope you enjoy A Cook's Tour as much as I did. :thumbup:

I read Kitchen Confidential a while back. I honestly didn't enjoy it in the traditional sense, but it was very interesting and kept my attention.

I did enjoy Kitchen Confidential quite a bit but I listened to the audiobook on my iPod while commuting when it first came out. I think I know what you mean by not enjoying it in the traditional sense, but the audiobook was read by Bourdain himself so that may have made the difference. I couldn't stop thinking about it and ended up buying several of his hardcopy books, including A Cook's Tour and a couple of his mysteries, etc. I would like to hear him read A Cook's Tour too, but I can only find that one abridged. I have also since become addicted to his show No Reservations on the Travel Channel. Something about the personality of his writing both repels and attracts me...weird.

:lol: No...I am done with that one. I did just purchase What to Expect the First Year. For my wife of course...

Wise purchase Bob. Had I bought that book sooner, I could have saved a lot of money (and a lot of frayed nerves) on panicked calls to the doctor for things that were totally normal! :blushing:

All the best-

I did enjoy Kitchen Confidential quite a bit but I listened to the audiobook on my iPod while commuting when it first came out. I think I know what you mean by not enjoying it in the traditional sense, but the audiobook was read by Bourdain himself so that may have made the difference. I couldn't stop thinking about it and ended up buying several of his hardcopy books, including A Cook's Tour and a couple of his mysteries, etc. I would like to hear him read A Cook's Tour too, but I can only find that one abridged. I have also since become addicted to his show No Reservations on the Travel Channel. Something about the personality of his writing both repels and attracts me...weird.

I actually listened to the Audiobook read by Bourdain as well. He did a good job narrating and the book moves. But I guess I disliked so many characters so much and some of his views, that I wouldn't say I enjoyed the book overall. Though he did have some good insights and advice.

I'm almost finished with Lamb by Christopher Moore. I read A Dirty Job a while back and loved it, so I figured I'd give this a try.

Finished Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin
A clever, fun read and a great period (12th century) mystery.

Currently: Collapse by Jared Diamond
How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed

Still plowing through: A History of the End of the World by Jonathan Kirsch

Top Bottom