What's new

What Are You Reading?

Holy smoke! Looks to me like there are currently 32 Jack Ryan books out. I am not sure how many Tom Clancy had much if anything to do with. The first five are
  1. The Hunt for Red October (1984)
  2. Patriot Games (1987)
  3. The Cardinal of the Kremlin (1988)
  4. Clear and Present Danger (1989)
  5. The Sum of All Fears (1991)
I do not know how far I got initially past 5. Much later I know I read some of the non-Clancy authored ones, which I liked okay, as far as I can remember. I think I took a shot at at least some of the Clancy books after Sum, but did not love them, and may not have finished them. I did not absolutely love Hunt (needed tighter editing, too many names) or Patriot Games, but, and this is a minority view probably, really liked Cardinal and Clear. For sum reason, Sum I thought was a fall off. Seemed grandiose, I guess. I would say that the first five Ryan books seem like more serious books to me than any of the Reacher books.

Looks like there are 27 Reacher novels out, plus some short stories and novellas. Another minority view, perhaps, but while I have liked virtually all of them, even though I realize I am often reading the same story over and over again, my recollection is I really liked the first book, then the next few, in parts, seemed pretty clumsy, especially the "romantic" scenes. Then for a few books Child seemed to refrain from much romance for Reacher. But then the quality of the writing seemed to get better across the board, and Reacher became more a a fleshed out human being, although with Reacher that is going to be a bit of an exaggeration. Reacher is definitely a guilty pleasure for me. But, personally, for me chapeau for a series I pretty much have enjoyed reading after the first three or four books. The prose is nothing all that polished, but still . . . .

By comparison, I would say that Connelly's Bosch and Lincoln Lawyer books are near literature. And I have liked all of those books. They seem like books about human beings and the quality of the prose is excellent. As David Foster Wallace said; "“Fiction’s about what it is to be a f**** human being.” I think that fits those books, but not the Reacher or Ryan books so much. (Maybe a couple of the Ryan books.) I wish I could write English sentences as well as Connelly generally does.

RE: Ryanverse
I read through the majority of the Ryanverse in college and just out. I believe Clancy himself wrote 12 novels, then there's a few he wrote with other authors, and apparently someone has picked it up since his passing. For some reason, I've never been interested in reading continuations beyond the original author's work. I'm not even sure on the co-writing scenario.

I did read the 12 that Clancy wrote, stopping with Teeth of the Tiger. If I recall correctly in that book, Jack Ryan Jr started to be a more focus, and I lost interest there. My favorite was probably Without Remorse, which is a sort of prequel to the Ryanverse.

I've not read any of Reacher yet, or the Connelly stuff. But they are on my list. I did read the Camel Club series by Baldacci and recall enjoying it, but I can't really recall much about what happened. Perhaps that should be an indicator to me regarding how much I REALLY enjoyed it.

I've never been interested in reading continuations beyond the original author's work. I'm not even sure on the co-writing scenario.
I surely know what you mean. Lee Child for the Reacher series has started to have co-writers. I actually think that has worked out okay. As I recall, I have read some of the Ryan books authored by others and I thought they were okay, not great.

Didn't the Jason Borne (sp?) books have different authors after the original author died? The new author books were pretty bad, if I recall.

I could probably tell you very little about any individual Connelly book. I do not think that is indicative of their quality or how much I liked them, though!

I do not know why I have not gotten into the Baldacci books. I have loved some of the Patricia Cornwell Kay Scarpetta books. But the later ones seem of largely poor quality or at least wildly uneven quality.

I cannot blame anyone too much. I can imagine that it is tough to write a good police procedural! I suppose to write any good pieces of fiction!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Holy smoke! Looks to me like there are currently 32 Jack Ryan books out. I am not sure how many Tom Clancy had much if anything to do with. The first five are
  1. The Hunt for Red October (1984)
  2. Patriot Games (1987)
  3. The Cardinal of the Kremlin (1988)
  4. Clear and Present Danger (1989)
  5. The Sum of All Fears (1991)
I do not know how far I got initially past 5. Much later I know I read some of the non-Clancy authored ones, which I liked okay, as far as I can remember. I think I took a shot at at least some of the Clancy books after Sum, but did not love them, and may not have finished them. I did not absolutely love Hunt (needed tighter editing, too many names) or Patriot Games, but, and this is a minority view probably, really liked Cardinal and Clear. For sum reason, Sum I thought was a fall off. Seemed grandiose, I guess. I would say that the first five Ryan books seem like more serious books to me than any of the Reacher books.

Looks like there are 27 Reacher novels out, plus some short stories and novellas. Another minority view, perhaps, but while I have liked virtually all of them, even though I realize I am often reading the same story over and over again, my recollection is I really liked the first book, then the next few, in parts, seemed pretty clumsy, especially the "romantic" scenes. Then for a few books Child seemed to refrain from much romance for Reacher. But then the quality of the writing seemed to get better across the board, and Reacher became more a a fleshed out human being, although with Reacher that is going to be a bit of an exaggeration. Reacher is definitely a guilty pleasure for me. But, personally, for me chapeau for a series I pretty much have enjoyed reading after the first three or four books. The prose is nothing all that polished, but still . . . .

By comparison, I would say that Connelly's Bosch and Lincoln Lawyer books are near literature. And I have liked all of those books. They seem like books about human beings and the quality of the prose is excellent. As David Foster Wallace said; "“Fiction’s about what it is to be a f**** human being.” I think that fits those books, but not the Reacher or Ryan books so much. (Maybe a couple of the Ryan books.) I wish I could write English sentences as well as Connelly generally does.
Without Remorse was the best of the bunch. John Kelly aka John Clark was brutal.

This was good.
d.jpg

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
This year, after discovering Amor Towles' The Lincoln Highway, and then rapidly devouring his two previous novels, I am delighted to admit Mr. Towles is my favorite author.
  • Rules of Civility, 2011
  • A Gentleman in Moscow, 2019
  • The Lincoln Highway, 2021
After reading his novels in reverse order of publication, I drafted a brief note to Mr. Towles, expressing how the struggles of the characters in Rules of Civility resonated with me. How their stories led to my own self-discovery. How each of his books touched my soul.

I did not expect or anticipate a reply. Then, just a few days ago, I received a message. Although I will not share specifics, Mr. Towles' reply was kind, genuine, well-crafted, and intensely personal. He brightened my day.

If you enjoy tightly woven stories that expose beautiful flaws of its characters while exposing your own, you will cherish Amor Towles. All of his novels are extraordinary. My highest recommendation.

amor-towles-Lincoln.jpg

1657714964263.png

This was a nice change of pace for me. I typically listen to audiobooks during my commute, and this one had me laughing out loud, despite awful construction traffic. It's essentially about a grumpy old man. The ending could cause one to realize it's quite dusty in their area, however, so be careful where you decide to finish it.

After finishing The Cloven Viscount by Italo Calvino, I'm on to the next book in the series, The Baron in the Trees.

And I'm about ⅔ through The Living Mountain by Nan Shepherd, about the Cairngorms in Scotland

02B0282C-7629-432D-9FF6-C18C4F4A1440.jpeg
Came home from Sifnos, Greece, with this novella by the author from Skiathos, another Greek island. Unfortunately for me, there is no English translation, so I am hoping to gain something from four years of high school French and a French-English dictionary, understanding that I will miss much not being able to read the original text. The watercolor covert art has me longing for another trip to the Aegean. I'll be finishing it in the Keys this weekend, with some similarly amazing views!

Last edited:
Mari Sandoz Sandhill Sundays

also Letters from Tove a collction of Tove Jansson's letters

I was re-reading Vikram Seth's The Golden Gate but I think I've given up

Top Bottom