What's new

What Are You Reading?

Curious: Do yall post the books as you are reading them, or when you finish them?
Both...but not consistently, only when the mood strikes me. I'm typically reading 4 or more books at once, in different genres. Recently they included:
  • How to Think Like a Roman Emperor (Robertson)
  • Falling to Heaven (Ferrell)
  • Uncomfortable Conversations With a Black Man (Acho)
  • Lost City of the Monkey God (Preston)
  • Lives of the Stoics (Holiday)

Curious: Do yall post the books as you are reading them, or when you finish them?
First rule of book club? There are no rules in book club.

Do what you want as we are just hoping to hear about something new and interesting to read. I usually post what I am reading which is all over the place and I always have multiples going at once.

Currently reading (did I say all over the place? 🤪) ...

Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn - Wax and Wayne Series (almost done)
Ernest Cline - Ready Player Two (started off a bit slow)
Donnie Eicher - Dyrtlov Pass Incident (Russia 1959, 9 hikers disappeared)
John Kennedy Toole- A Confederacy Of Dunces
Sir Ernest Henry Shackleton - South (his 1914-1917 expedition)
David Lough - No More Champagne: Winston Churchill and his Money

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
First rule of book club? There are no rules in book club.

Do what you want as we are just hoping to hear about something new and interesting to read. I usually post what I am reading which is all over the place and I always have multiples going at once.

Currently reading (did I say all over the place? 🤪) ...

Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn - Wax and Wayne Series (almost done)
Ernest Cline - Ready Player Two (started off a bit slow)
Donnie Eicher - Dyrtlov Pass Incident (Russia 1959, 9 hikers disappeared)
John Kennedy Toole- A Confederacy Of Dunces
Sir Ernest Henry Shackleton - South (his 1914-1917 expedition)
David Lough - No More Champagne: Winston Churchill and his Money
The coldest winter I ever experienced was when I read Shackleton’s “South.” Wonderful read.

The coldest winter I ever experienced was when I read Shackleton’s “South.” Wonderful read.
Agreed. I can’t imagine living like they did.

I get distracted and go to something more “fun” from time to time but I am getting thru it. Pretty amazing read.

1984 I’ve had this book for years and this is the first time I’m reading it. Great read so far.
D39A8EDC-0437-42C4-8119-78280F9AD7D2.jpeg

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Aren’t library books via Overdrive (Kindle & audio) just the bomb?

Dress Her in Indigo (Travis McGee series), John MacDonald (Mike Rowe’s favorite)
Modern Warriors, Pete Hegseth (audio book)
Legend, Eric Blehm (5 stars on Amazon)

I just finished Deep Descent: Adventure and Death Diving the Andrea Doria - McMurray
Starting a little lighter fare, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes - Collins
I am also slowly, a chapter or two at a time, making my way through Astrophysics for People in a Hurry - Tyson

I usually wait until I'm far enough into abook to know if I'll be sticking with it before posting.

As old as I am, I sometimes have to overcome some kind of imperative in me to force myself to put down a book which I'm not enjoying. I keep having to convince myself that there's no law stating that I have to finish a book which I actually consider to be drivel - life is too short for that.

Last edited:
The past couple of weeks, I've been sinking my ears with the Opus X series by Michael Anderle. When I'm in the deep dark of a migraine, audiobooks are a lifeline and my library has a good selection of novels that are available on audio.

I'm also reading the following:

I finished Paul Beatty’s ‘The Sellout,’ on audio. It won the Booker Prize back in 2014. I absolutely loved it. It is a satire set in LA, and to me, was very reminiscent of Catch-22. Please note that Beatty, an African American writer, makes liberal use of the N word and racial stereotypes as part of the satire.

Moving on to some Agatha Christie short stories on audio.

I’m reading The History of the Guitar in Jazz. Its out of print but I found a used copy. It was written when a lot of the old time guys were still alive so it’s pretty good.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Rereading for the Brazillionth time A Canticle for Leibowitz. I think this is the fourth or fifth copy I've bought with the others either falling apart or going to ForEver homes.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Just finished "Irreversible Damage" by Abagail Shrier.

Now reading "V2" by Robert Harris, and Heather MacDonald's "The Diversity Delusion."

Aren’t library books via Overdrive (Kindle & audio) just the bomb?

Dress Her in Indigo (Travis McGee series), John MacDonald (Mike Rowe’s favorite)
Modern Warriors, Pete Hegseth (audio book)
Legend, Eric Blehm (5 stars on Amazon)

I really like the Travis McGee books. I definitely will read all of them. I haven't read many of MacDonald's other books. I enjoyed The Executioners which was adapted to the movies as Cape Fear. The book is much darker than the film in terms of the main character Sam Bowden and why Max Cady is out to get him.

The Travis McGee books also feature murderous psychopaths!

You are right on about using Overdrive. I read most of my books on loan from the library.

Currently I'm reading a Georges Simenon book called Maigret's Holiday. Also a loaner from the library. The Maigret books are quiet enjoyable and I'm looking forward to reading many more of them!

Top Bottom