What's new

What Are You Reading?

According to the internet The Modern Library said it was the 11th best English novel of the then past 100 years. It has made the top 100 modern novel lists put out by various prestigious outfits.

My professor for Modern World Literature back in the day in undergrad, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, was Douglas Day. He wrote a biography of Malcom Lowry. I do not remember much about the book from reading it--I do remember it is not an easy book--but Prof Day made it sound important and compelling. I would say it is a modernist masterpiece. Packed to the brim with symbolism and allusion. At times quite hallucinatory.

This may be the kind of book for which it is worth buying one of the those summaries/study guides Amazon seems to offer. As some have said--most notably for me recently, David Wallace, as I recall, something from Of Flesh and Not--great writing is not supposed to be easy, but should greatly reward effort. My guess is this book will reward all of the effort you put into it. Although part of the reward may be knowing more about how literature was evolving in 1947, or whenever that novel was written. I am told we are well into post-post-modernism at this time.

The Doug Day biography of Lowry seems to be on-line for free. That might be worth a go, too. I think Day frequently said that one had to remember that Lowry would not want to be taken so seriously all the time.
What a great comment @The Knize! The book is indeed packed with symbolism, allusions, and mysticism (Kabbalah). It is tough sledding in parts, but worth the effort. I may need a palate cleanser after this one, perhaps a Wodehouse.

The literary podcast Backlisted has an excellent episode about Lowry and Under the Volcano (www.backlisted.fm).
Thank you for the information. I wasn't aware of this podcast, but I now have the Under the Volcano episode queued up for when I finish the novel. Looks like they discuss tons of great books on that podcast, so thanks again!

What a great comment @The Knize! The book is indeed packed with symbolism, allusions, and mysticism (Kabbalah). It is tough sledding in parts, but worth the effort. I may need a palate cleanser after this one, perhaps a Wodehouse.
Wodehouse! A gentleman and a scholar. I am impressed! And I like the idea of a palate cleanser.

I am thinking of doing an Best American Essays of some year or other collection next, although I must say I am not recognizing much, or at least much I am dying to read, in recent years.

Ive just finished The Godfather (fills in a lot of blanks from the movie) by Puzo, and I've just started Karamazov by Dostoevsky for the second time around. I read it ten years ago, now I'm going to try the audiobook. I did also just read Never Split the Difference, which I enjoyed.

I read this a few months ago. Having been a college educator for the last 30 years, I can say that much of it resonated with me, and I see it happening all the time on campus. And off.

I read this a few months ago. Having been a college educator for the last 30 years, I can say that much of it resonated with me, and I see it happening all the time on campus. And off.

I like to listen to books while I jog or lift weights. Generally, it's non-fiction while jogging and fiction while lifting. I read/listen about two to two and a half hours a day.

For non-fiction, I read and highlight the book on my Kindle after listening to it.. Then I export the notes to a master word file that I can search for ideas while writing books.

Here is a peek at my bookshelf of books I read this year. I'm reading the yellow ones.

1583022048394.png

This is my "anti-library", which is books I own, but haven't read. They are on this year's list. The blue highlighted books are fiction.

1583022128703.png

Last edited:
Currently reading The Other Girl by Daniel Silva. Love my spy stories and he's one of the best.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Currently going through a handful of books for different reasons

Professional: Representations of the Body in Middle English Biblical Drama

Casual: The Witcher: Time of Contempt

Audiobook: The People of the Parish: Community Life in a Late Medieval English Diocese

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Audiobook: The People of the Parish: Community Life in a Late Medieval English Diocese

Hats off to you! I am not even entitled to call myself a reader given your reading list!

Hats off to you! I am not even entitled to call myself a reader given your reading list!
Honestly, I'm on a PhD so most of my reading is for that. I set aside a novel each week for lighter reading, else it gets a bit mind numbing.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I like that format! for me:
Professional: A Secular Age (Taylor)
Casual: Til We Have Faces (Lewis - re-read)
Audio: Moby Dick (Melville)

Yep, I like that format also. Usually, I have more than one book going at once in any given category, and multiple categories. That's been my habit since third grade, when my schoolteacher would take away my books one at a time (b/c I was reading during math, say) and then give them back at the end of the day. Here are mine:

Professional: The Listening Leader (Harris) and Seven Practices of a Mindful Leader (Lesser)
Serious non-professional: Ego is the Enemy (Holiday) and Glock: The Rise of America's Gun (Barrett) and How to Be a Leader (Plutarch)
Casual: Spider-Man: The Darkest Hours (Butcher)
Audio: Call Sign Chaos (Mattis) and The Boys in the Boat (Brown)

Top Bottom