What's new

What Are You Reading?

Adrienne Miller, In the Land of Men--because I am a David Foster Wallace fan. Wish me luck.

Well-written so far. Writing style seems highly influenced by DFW. I am under no illusion that DFW was a nice, regular guy! I read to read him and, I suppose, listen to him talk, but I would not have wanted to live with him, or try to edit him!
"I like to read him" not what I wrote above.

If you like DFW, romantic love, women, Adrienne Miller, etc. In the Land of Men may not be for you. Yuck. Add psychopath and narcissist to his mental aliments.

Re In the Land of Men: I thought I had almost finished listening to this book on Audible. Turns out I had another three plus hours to go!

Not to bore folks on B&B with yet a third posting on this book, but i had some further thoughts that one is unlikely to come across in a standard, generally published review of this book. It seems to me that what we have here is likely the memoir of a woman being kept on the side. From photos on the web, Adrienne Miller, at least when she was seeing DFW, was a strikingly good looking woman, and she comes across as quite appealing. The things DFW was saying to her over I do not know how many years, sure sounds to me like the type of thing a a guy might say to someone he was trying to keep on the side, while he pursued other women, too. In this context, nothing seems all that brilliant or special, much less sincere.

I suppose not many men would want their "game" exposed, or would seem like a good person in any respect if it were. So maybe DFW can be forgiven for coming across as an utter narcissist and psychopath, and can be seen as closer to the norm, at least for a certain kind of guy. I mean, what the heck do I know about what Mick Jagger tells his girl friends. I am not condoning this. It is not me--not now and probably not ever--that is for sure.

Although Ms. Miller has crafted an entire book mostly around her relationship with DFW, she does not even show up, as far as I know, at least as a love interest, in DT Max's quite comprehensive and seemingly excellent biography of DFW.

I think Mary Karr's take on DFW was probably more realistic that DFW would do a lot to get with a woman. (Although MK's portrayal of him is truly scary, involving real stalking, physical assault, and the like.)

One might also question the judgement of a fiction editor of a fairly substantial magazine having an extended, passionate affair with an author she was supposed to be selecting and editing. I am not sure the magazine's management was getting its salary's worth. But that consideration does not seem to come up in this book. It did not seem to me that any one was being coerced in this. Although, certainly, pretty young women do often taken advantage of.

In any event, I am not sure where I would go with this. Adrienne Miller writes well and is quite appealing. I wish her the best and hope her marriage and family life is good.

Just finished Death in the Air: The True Story of a Serial Killer, the Great London Smog, and the Strangling of a City
by Kate Winkler Dawson (2017). Duel narrative of the Londoners dying from the smog and the Rillington Place strangler.

Continuing on with Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food, Catherine Shanahan, Luke Shanahan (2008). Chapter 8 Brain Killer is an eye opener. [ Good Fats Bad Fats ] - Vegetable oil is worse than sugar or refined grains.

One Minute Out, (Gray Man #9), Mark Greaney (2020) arrives today from amazon preorder.

1582048608025.jpeg

I think I will go back and re-read Infinite Jest. Just kidding.

Am listening on Audible to some Longmire police procedural right now, The Western Star, but not getting into it like I usually do. Might just be me. Book club book is Dispatches from Pluto. Not sure why I am procrastinating that. I suppose the last book club selection, A Tall History of Sugar kind of threw me off.

I am thinking maybe the book The Irishman was based on, although that account of Hoffa's demise seems apocryphal. Maybe a book on the Ford/Ferrari rivalry, although I do not know if I need more than the movie and various You Tube videos on that.

I think I will go back and re-read Infinite Jest. Just kidding.

Am listening on Audible to some Longmire police procedural right now, The Western Star, but not getting into it like I usually do. Might just be me. Book club book is Dispatches from Pluto. Not sure why I am procrastinating that. I suppose the last book club selection, A Tall History of Sugar kind of threw me off.

I am thinking maybe the book The Irishman was based on, although that account of Hoffa's demise seems apocryphal. Maybe a book on the Ford/Ferrari rivalry, although I do not know if I need more than the movie and various You Tube videos on that.

How about some Tana French for a mystery alternative?

Bob, I have long admired your taste in books! I think there are now six books in the Dublin Murder Squad series. I have read at least three of those. Perhaps more. I should got back and figure out which, if any, I missed. I own The Witch Elm on Audible, and and had rushed out and bought it when it first came out, but found myself not getting into it at all. I could give that one another try, too. I think of Tana French as being a good author!

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
These.are some of the books I'm reading now on my Kindle Oasis e-reader. I just finished "The Institute" by Stephen King, and thought it was very good.
20200221_202439_kindlephoto-90764429.jpg

Finally finished Colson Whitehead’s The Intuitionist. It’s an amazing book with so many layers to it that I feel like I only scratched the surface. I see re-reads in the future.

Moving on to Agatha Christie’s ‘Murder in Mesopotamia’.

Top Bottom