What's new

What Are You Reading?

Just finished Jim Harrison's The Great Leader. Anyone fond of Hemingway should try Harrison.

Main character is a just retired Michigan State Police detective from the UP. He is chasing personal demons, brook trout, and a cult leader with a fondness for underage girls.

We lost Harrison not so long ago, tho perhaps in the nick of time. "No one was less suited to assisted living than Jim," was the consensus as age, wear and tear, and a fondness for adult beverages took their toll on his body.

Mac

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens. I am fairly early in it. Takes a certain more that usual suspension of disbelief, but seems well-written, plotted, and the geographic area and culture are well-drawn. May turn out to be something of a woman's book, even though it has a nice murder mystery at the center of it.

I'm about to start this one.

Gave up on Dickens' "Bleak House" for now.
Started "Leviathan Wakes", book one of "The Expanse" series by James S. A. Corey.
This was made in to a TV series by SyFy.
I love the Expanse books and the show, which is now on Amazon Prime after being cancelled by SyFy.

Just finished Berlin Game
44D525BF-7C5B-4A7F-A52D-FB2436FE42CB.jpeg

Switched off Where the Crawdads Sing to Philip Kerr's latest and last Bernie Gunther book, Metropolis, just posthumously released.

I could cry reading this. So far this is as good as any in the 14 book series. What a lose for Kerr to die last year at the age of 62. A protean figure in this kind of literature.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I finally, finally, finished Winston Churchill's book on the Boer War. Not a bad read, but I was at the point where I was doing anything but reading. I've read a lot of Churchill in the last year, so maybe it's author fatigue. Or maybe I just don't find his earlier works as interesting as his later ones. I didn't find "The Malakand Field Force" or "The River War" especially compelling, either.

Anyway, that's done. Now on to "The Hunchback of Notre-Dame," by Victor Hugo. Had it sitting on my shelf for years, and I figured now is the time to read it.

Great Expectations is, well, great.

I'm also doing The Obelisk Gate on audio, NK Jemisin's second book in her Broken Earth trilogy.

Top Bottom