What's new

What Are You Reading?

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I've been reading Winston Churchill's "The World Crisis." I'm reading the last two volumes out of order. The second-to-last volume is "The Aftermath," which is pretty self-explanatory. The last volume is "The Unknown War," which covers the entire war from the perspective of the Eastern Front. I decided it would be better to read that first, then deal with "The Aftermath."

Just finished A Father Who Keeps His Promises by Scott Hahn. Currently about 115 pages into The Advetures of Sherlock Holmes by the great Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I am really enjoying the imagery and personality he’s bringing to the characters.

proxy.php

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T.E. Lawrence. The effects of the geo-political tom foolery back then is mind boggling!

Still working on "A Wild Sheep Chase" by Haruki Murakami.
It's going a lot faster now that I started reading it in the day, instead of in bed at night. I would get to read about one page before I fell asleep.
Murakami novels remind me a bit of Thomas Pynchon's.

Reading Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear on audio....kind of a jarring transition from Walter Mosley.

Reading the Mosley book Down the River Unto the Sea Now, per your recommendation. Did not like it at first. Loving it now. Mosley hitting on all cylinders again. How gratifying!

Tell me about Dobbs/Winspear.

The Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T.E. Lawrence. The effects of the geo-political tom foolery back then is mind boggling!

Fabulous book. Should be must reading for anyone trying to understand the 20th Century and the 21st, I am afraid. Also a great story of "men interacting." T.E. Lawrence was one odd duck, but he wrote deep, thought provoking stuff, and he sure walked the walk. Good companion piece to the Hemingway we have been talking about, although the writing style is completely different.

Kilroy6644

Finally finished Winston Churchill's "The World Crisis," and after about 20 minutes of agonizing over what to read next, I finally settled on "Dune."

Finally finished Winston Churchill's "The World Crisis," and after about 20 minutes of agonizing over what to read next, I finally settled on "Dune."

If you have never read it, you're in for a treat. Dune is a magnificent novel; one of the best sci fi stories ever told. The endless sequels? Not so much.

Kilroy6644

If you have never read it, you're in for a treat. Dune is a magnificent novel; one of the best sci fi stories ever told. The endless sequels? Not so much.
I only have the six by Frank Herbert. I read the first three several years ago, so I'll be rereading them, and then on to the next three. I have no plans to get into the newer stuff.

I recently picked up a used copy of the Penguin edition of three of Henry Green's novels: Loving, Living, and Party Going, in the hopes that it will be my reading companion during the forthcoming deep-winter's evening series of bathtub soaks. I'm only around thirty pages into Loving, upstairs/downstairs and all that, striking me a bit like a period prototype for Downtown Abbey. Of course, as an American in the early 21st century, I'm probably oblivious to a lot of understated nuance here, and Evelyn Waugh would probably not be pleased that I should even try to read it, my having enjoyed reading his impossible-for-an-American-to-understand Brideshead Revisited last winter.

Just started Anthony Horowitz's new Bond book Forever and a Day. Not bad, but not nearly up to his first effort Trigger Mortis which really captured Fleming's style, particularly in the race sequence.

Kilroy6644

Just started Anthony Horowitz's new Bond book Forever and a Day. Not bad, but not nearly up to his first effort Trigger Mortis which really captured Fleming's style, particularly in the race sequence.
I was really looking forward to it, too. I loved Trigger Mortis.

Top Bottom