What's new

What Are You Reading?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Just re-found this thread, so have to scroll back for some recommendations .. and right now reading The Bookworm, first 150 pages flew by ..

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Stephen Hunter is my favorite author. I've read all his stuff. From Dirty White Boys to Hot Springs. Hot Springs by Stephen Hunter would be exactly what you would like.

I'll pick up Hot Springs and give it a go. I've read a couple of Hunter's books. And Hot Springs used to be a "sanctuary" for Capone and others from what I've heard. Not too far from there right now. I did tell you I used to live in K.C. Mo. for awhile, didn't I? I found out later that the hotel I lived in for a bit was one that Capone frequented when he was in town.

I haven't figured out if I can attach photos to a PM, so I'll take some pics. of Mom's books later, then post them here, and let you take your pick. They're getting ready to be sold anyway so you might as well have which ones you want.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
@DoctorShavegood

Here ya go, buddy. Take your pick, any or all.

DSC_0020 (2).JPG

DSC_0023 (2).JPG

DSC_0026 (2).JPG

DSC_0029 (2).JPG

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'll pick up Hot Springs and give it a go. I've read a couple of Hunter's books. And Hot Springs used to be a "sanctuary" for Capone and others from what I've heard. Not too far from there right now. I did tell you I used to live in K.C. Mo. for awhile, didn't I? I found out later that the hotel I lived in for a bit was one that Capone frequented when he was in town.

I haven't figured out if I can attach photos to a PM, so I'll take some pics. of Mom's books later, then post them here, and let you take your pick. They're getting ready to be sold anyway so you might as well have which ones you want.
Hot Springs is one of the Books that features the character Earl Swaggard, Bob Lee's dad. I like the part in the book when they go on a raid and one guy brings a BAR. If I recall the bullet went through like 6 walls.:eek2:

Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy. The first book was simple but very good; the second book is downright annoying (just kill the bad guy already, for pete's sake!).

I normally don't read female authors, but Hobb sucked me in with her first book in the trilogy. I hope it gets better because the second book is agonizingly slow and painfully contrived. In a quasi-medieval fantasy world full of warriors, warlords, and assassins, a bad guy so openly and blatantly screwing everyone else in the entire book over, repeatedly, would have had his head lopped off about two chapters in. This bad guy just romps on everyone, and all these tough characters sit around wringing their hands for hundreds of pages. It is frankly kind of ridiculous.

Finished White Fang on audio and have moved on to ‘North’ by Scott Jurek about his record setting through hike of the Appalachian Trail.

Just finished with Great Expectations by Dickens. Now starting on Exit West by Mohsin Hamid. Kind of a romance novel which is not usually my thing, but this one is set in war-torn Damascus. Looks to be a pretty quick read.

Your timing is good, Bob. I am ready for another one.

Walter Mosley, eh. I have found his books to be a bit uneven. The first ones of the Easy Rawlings series were so good. Indelible characters. I will give this one a try for sure!

I am about six chapters into Sapiens--A Brief History of Humankind by Harari. Really well-written and thought-provoking so far. I think it deserves its near cult status. I do not know, at least yet, if it deserves the scholarly-type criticism it has received. Has been compared, rightfully so methinks, to Jared Diamond's Germs, Guns, and Steel.

For once a book I wanted has a reasonable hold time on my local library's wait list for an on-line audio book I am interested in. I am second in line for two copies of Down the River Unto the Sea.

Top Bottom