What's new

What Are You Reading?

Charlotte Bronte - Jane Eyre
Ernest Hemingway - A Farewell to Arms (can't stand it)
Frank Herbert - Dune Messiah
Cormac McCarthy - Blood Meridian
Jack D. Hunter - The Blue Max.

Just finished Tom Wolfe's Bonfire of the Vanities, and Michael Shaara's The Killer Angels.

I've got a bad habit of starting a book and then not sticking to it...

Can't stand Farewell to Arms? Wow.

Cormac McCarthy is a great writer. His style is very polarizing, though. People seem to love his work or detest it. No real in between. I'm in the first camp. His Border Trilogy is excellent, as are his other stand alone novels. His style is tough to read at first, but I've found that it forces me to read the story much more carefully and slowly, and the experience is very rewarding for me.

I read multiple books at a time. Currently in the hopper:
'Lucky Man' by Michael J. Fox - about 2/3rds through, very interesting and good read.
'Vanished' by Joseph Finder- a third into it, pretty good so far, thriller/mystery type of book.
'Chronicles of the Black Company' by Glen Cook - omnibus of the first three novels in the Black Company series. I read these many years ago. They finally became available on kindle and I got all four of the omnibus for my birthday from my beloved. Gritty fantasy, like Steven Erikson and GRRM. Great stuff.

Blackjack, by Andrew Vachss. Tight story, great characters, interesting mystery.

Andrew Vachss is pretty good. I've got most of his books, including the chapbook "Veil's Visit", signed by both him and Lansdale. I bought it right after it was released; now I see it selling for anywhere from $100 to $200.

Going for a bit of nostalgia from when I was a kid. Currently reading The Adam Strange DC Archives Vol 1. One of my favorite Silver Age characters from the late 50's along with Green Lantern & The Flash. I shudder to think what my collection of comics from back then would have been worth today had they not been tossed.

Top Bottom