What's new

What are you looking for in your next brush?

I really want an elite razor bloody basin jasper stone brush in Manchurian White. 26mm. Just a beatiful brush. Normally I prefer m7 or m8 style brushes, but, I've fallen in love with the red jasper on this brush. I hope he makes more..
proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Exactly as the titled states.

What are you looking for in your next brush? Badger, synthetic, boar, or horse hairs?

2-band, silvertip, tuxedo, cashmere, ivory handle, purple haze handle, lotus shape, TNS, TDR, DG, .... and the list goes on.

As for me, I'm slowing down my brush search but I wouldn't mind another soft synthetic in my den. Given my purchases this month, I'm going to hold off on that but it's a potential for next year.

Let me know what you're looking for!

If I were looking, I would probably opt for something narrower. I have a Stirling 26mm bulb tuxedo synthetic. I could possibly use a 22mm fan tuxedo synthetic, with a black handle. I have no idea if anyone even makes one like that.

just got the 1305 last night.

the only others I could see in my far off future would be:

duplicate back up 1305

or

the semogue SOC taj

camo

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
A small Simpson brush in Manchurian for travel, maybe a Duke 1, Classic 1, or if I am lucky a Jubilee. A Manchurian Chubby 1. Traditional handle colours please, nothing from Willie Wonka's Chocolate factory 😀

Something a bit more luxurious like a soft and spongy 3-band silvertip. I've been through everything and really like my 2-band silvertip fans but want a change of pace brush.

I really want an elite razor bloody basin jasper stone brush in Manchurian White. 26mm. Just a beatiful brush. Normally I prefer m7 or m8 style brushes, but, I've fallen in love with the red jasper on this brush. I hope he makes more..
proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
That is a beauty. The handle seems very ergonomic.

If I were looking, I would probably opt for something narrower. I have a Stirling 26mm bulb tuxedo synthetic. I could possibly use a 22mm fan tuxedo synthetic, with a black handle. I have no idea if anyone even makes one like that.
I know Maggard has some 22mm synthetics but i'm not sure where you can find a fan tuxedo...

just got the 1305 last night.

the only others I could see in my far off future would be:

duplicate back up 1305

or

the semogue SOC taj

camo
SOC is nice brush to work with but it is a bit of a challenge. It takes in more soap and bit more to work in the lather. Still soft and enjoyable.

A small Simpson brush in Manchurian for travel, maybe a Duke 1, Classic 1, or if I am lucky a Jubilee. A Manchurian Chubby 1. Traditional handle colours please, nothing from Willie Wonka's Chocolate factory 😀
No Purple Haze? Heresy..

Haha, I've been drawn to more of those wonky colors for some reason.

Something a bit more luxurious like a soft and spongy 3-band silvertip. I've been through everything and really like my 2-band silvertip fans but want a change of pace brush.
Hope you find that! I'm guessing you're looking towards artisans like Shavemac? I don't have much experiences with silvertips but I do really enjoy the Yaqi silvertips that I have. Soft and spongy

Hope you find that! I'm guessing you're looking towards artisans like Shavemac? I don't have much experiences with silvertips but I do really enjoy the Yaqi silvertips that I have. Soft and spongy

I traded for a Chubby 1 in Super and we'll see how it goes. Otherwise I typically go Shavemac due to consistency and quality. I had a 24x48 3-band silvertip fan once that I liked but would probably go a tiny bit bigger (25x50 maybe?).

And would likely see if Rudy could make me another brush as he's done several for me which I really like. Something colorful this time, like purple or blue...

A 2nd approach to synthetics...
Incoming is a Shavemac custom fan synth with beehive handle.
My first synth was a Chubby-2 and I don't get along with the pointy bulb shape and pretty stiff fibres. The tips are super soft but the brush almost doesn't splay at all. Simple wrong choice of weapon for face lathering.
I hope the Shavemac will suit me better.

I always been a fan of big badger knots and wanted another brush in the Chubby 2 (knot) size class. Though, I'm a big fan of boar brushes I think the height of luxury is a is a big badger brush. I have owned a couple of Chubby 2's in the past but usually make my own brushes. Here's the latest. Pre and post bloom.

A 2nd approach to synthetics...
Incoming is a Shavemac custom fan synth with beehive handle.
My first synth was a Chubby-2 and I don't get along with the pointy bulb shape and pretty stiff fibres. The tips are super soft but the brush almost doesn't splay at all. Simple wrong choice of weapon for face lathering.
I hope the Shavemac will suit me better.
Nice. What other synthetics have you tried out?

For me, my favorite synthetics are Yaqi synthetics and Duro knots from PAA. They have good softness to backbone ratio and gives me a decent scrub for face lather.

I always been a fan of big badger knots and wanted another brush in the Chubby 2 (knot) size class. Though, I'm a big fan of boar brushes I think the height of luxury is a is a big badger brush. I have owned a couple of Chubby 2's in the past but usually make my own brushes. Here's the latest. Pre and post bloom.

Looking good! I just knotted a big SHD badger and it looks lovely. Although I am having some trouble lathering with the bigger brush. It seems to hog the lather a bit more and it's harder to work in with the low backbone/scrub. Still experimenting with it but the feel of the brush is top notch.

SOTD 11182019.jpg

As the crazy deals and sales approaches, I'm looking for a nice and comfortable synthetic as I mentioned before. I think I see the price drop for the one I was eyeing. That'll be my only brush purchase as of now.. hoping to keep it that way. More to post after that gets in my mailbox!

My next brush, I'd love to get my hands on a Declaration Grooming B5 knot, preferably in a Jefferson handle. With how highly regarded all the Declaration knots are, B5 usually ranks near the top.

After trying 25 brushes, I'm done. I still have 9 brushes, but mostly only use my 2-band Thaters (4125/1 and 4215/2), and an old Rooney 1/1. If I ever feel a need for a next brush, I will have Rudy replace the original knot in a Simpson Rover, I no longer use, with a 2-band Shavemac knot.

My next brush, I'd love to get my hands on a Declaration Grooming B5 knot, preferably in a Jefferson handle. With how highly regarded all the Declaration knots are, B5 usually ranks near the top.
Nice, I hear a lot of good things about DG knots but it's a little out of my reach. Hope you find what you're looking for!

After trying 25 brushes, I'm done. I still have 9 brushes, but mostly only use my 2-band Thaters (4125/1 and 4215/2), and an old Rooney 1/1. If I ever feel a need for a next brush, I will have Rudy replace the original knot in a Simpson Rover, I no longer use, with a 2-band Shavemac knot.
Hopefully I get there soon. I'm still tempted by brushes here and there. I definitely have enough to use but I always do want to review that next upcoming brush.

Top Bottom