What's new

What are you listening to?

Beethoven's Ninth Symphony! :cool:

This next part is going to blow you away:
I'm 19 :eek:

Good for you!

I started with classical at about the age of 14 (pretty much my main listening interest at that point in my life was Heavy Metal).. started with lighter stuff, popular overtures, Tchaikovsky and Beethoven symphonines.. but my main addiction are the symphonies of Gustav Mahler.

Got Mahler?

:wink2:

-Mason

Mason:

Unfortunately no. Although I’ve listened to Classical music for most of my life, I was never one to buy CDs of anything. As a result my library is fairly small.

I have Beethoven’s Fifth and Ninth Symphonies, Holst’s The Planets, Johan de’Mei’s (not sure on the spelling, can't find my CD) Symphony No. 1: The Lord of the Rings, a Bach compilation, and some mixed CDs containing Mozart, Brahms, Wolf, Barber, etc from my years in choirs and concert bands. :blink:

I have plans to vastly expand my Beethoven, then move onto Brahms and follow my fancy from there. :001_rolle

I've been listening to the Smoking Popes a lot lately, Pure Imagination is a catchy little tune, can't seem to get it out of me bloody head.

Steve

Mason:

Unfortunately no. Although I’ve listened to Classical music for most of my life, I was never one to buy CDs of anything. As a result my library is fairly small.

I have Beethoven’s Fifth and Ninth Symphonies, Holst’s The Planets, Johan de’Mei’s (not sure on the spelling, can't find my CD) Symphony No. 1: The Lord of the Rings, a Bach compilation, and some mixed CDs containing Mozart, Brahms, Wolf, Barber, etc from my years in choirs and concert bands. :blink:

I have plans to vastly expand my Beethoven, then move onto Brahms and follow my fancy from there. :001_rolle

Well it's good to approach Mahler's works from the early Romantics (Beethoven, Schubert) up through the late 19th Century (Brahms, Dvorak), so you have some perspective. Diving right into Mahler can be a somewhat arduous task, though seeing as how you are familiar with Beethoven's 9th and The Planets, you are no stranger to large-scale works. If you're really interested, find a way to check out the Mahler 1st. Most libraries will have a decent selection of Mahler performances. Mahler did 9 symphonies, and also several song cycles and a few larger-scale works for vocals and orchestra. He also left an unfinished 10th symphony.

Once folks get sucked into the world of Mahler, they seldom escape... I consider Mahler's 9th to be the greatest musical composition that I know. However, most would be better served to start off with one of his earlier works.

-Mason

I forgot to mention that I have Carl Orff's Carmina Burana. Hardly "Classical" I know, more like... I really don't know what to classify it as, 20th century I guess.

I'll have to check out Mahler, looks like I'll be getting a new AD!

I find I like pretty much anything from Baroque to Romantic and beyond as long as it's not atonal. :cursing: Atonal music and I don't mix, at least for now. I don't know what I'll be listening to in a few years.

I forgot to mention that I have Carl Orff's Carmina Burana. Hardly "Classical" I know, more like... I really don't know what to classify it as, 20th century I guess.

I'll have to check out Mahler, looks like I'll be getting a new AD!

I find I like pretty much anything from Baroque to Romantic and beyond as long as it's not atonal. :cursing: Atonal music and I don't mix, at least for now. I don't know what I'll be listening to in a few years.

Mahler is considered by some to be the last great Romantic composer. The stretched the boundaries of everything that had come before him all the way back to Bach. Mahler stood right at the gatway from the "tonal" era and the Modern era of the 20th century. He toyed with atonality in a few of his last works (the 9th, the 10th), but he always had one foot firmly planted in the tonal tradition. Bernstein went even further to say that Mahler's music predicted the rise of fascism and the global warfare that gripped the world in the subsequent years after his death in 1911. Mahler's goal was the express "the world in a symphony" - you can definately hear that in his work.

I've had MAD (Mahler Aquisition/Addiction Disorder) for over 20 years now..

(Oh, I love Carmina Burana too.. there's really nothing else quite like it.)

-Mason

Been listening to some oldie's lately the Clash; Revolution Rock and Straight to Hell. Forogt how good those songs were. Real toe tappers.

Steve

see me got, me got photo photograph of you and
mama mama mama-san
of you and mama mama mama-san..

there ain't no asylum here..
king solomon he never lived 'round here..

(straight to hell, boys)

yes, definately one of my favorite songs.

My other favorite Clash jams:

Lost In a Supermarket
Charlie Don't Surf
Washington Bullets
Bankrobber
The Crooked Beat
The Guns of Brixton
The Magnificent Seven
Somebody Got Murdered

yea, I love Sandinista! hehe.

-Masno

Right now I'm stuck on:

The Shins - "Wincing the Night Away"
Blonde Redhead - "23"
The Decemberists - "The Crane Wife"

Yeah, the Clash are awsome..

You know, I never got into the Decemberists. I've got some of there stuff, but it just aint doin nothin for me...The Shins are great, though.

Steve

Top Bottom