What's new

What are you listening to?

Great. Now I have "Here I go Again" stuck in my head. Earworm.

Oh well, it could be worse...

:a5: I saw the 'Special Guitar Heroes' documentary yesterday on the Franco-German cultural channel ARTE. It was presented by Ritchie Blackmore and gave an overview of the history of the guitar, hard rock (the Yardbirds and Led Zeppeling) and presented some present day bands like Wolfmother, the Datsuns and the Answer, along with guitar virtuosos. Fantastic documentary.

I was watching the Ken Burns documentary Baseball, the set on the 70's decade. In the chapter when the Orioles were beating the Reds and Brooks Robinson was the major player, they kept playing this wonderful synthesizer riff that was deep and growling. I thought it sounded like Stevie Wonder, but beyond that I had no idea what the song was.

I searched for several days. I posted a question on IMDb. I finally found it by just listening to tune after tune on iTunes, everything by Stevei Wonder that I didn't know. It is Maybe Your Baby from Talking Book. Early 70's soul at its best and most inventive. It was released in 1972, which may have been a year or two after the World Series they used it with, but at least they had the period right.

Tim

The Bravery - The Sun and the Moon
Razorlight - Self-Titled
Common - Finding Forever
Hot Hot Heat - Happiness Ltd.
Zwan - Mary Star of the Sea
Kanye West - The Graduate
Robin Thicke - Evolution of Robin Thicke
Eddie Vedder - Into the Wild

I don't like his latest album but I do love Beautiful Midnight. My favorite song of his is "While We Were Hunting Rabbits."

I streamed his latest album. I don't think it's his best stuff to be sure although Black Helicopters kind of sticks in my head. As I recall it seemed like every song was about the same tempo. Streaming it made it really difficult to tell when one song ended and the other one began. Of course the divorce and the hospital stay may have affected his compositional skills somewhat. WWWHR is an awesome song-that whole album is great. When MG is on there are few better.

Top Bottom