What's new

What are you listening to?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
On this date in 1746 Europe's last feudal army, made up of Scots' highlanders and islanders fighting for Prince Charles Edward 'Bonnie Prince Charlie' Stuart suffered a total defeat by the Duke of Cumberland and his artillery at Culloden Moor. So for the day that's in it, a few Jacobite songs inspired by "the '45," as the rebellion is known.

After the battle, a massive manhunt sought Charlie all over Scotland. All sorts of Romantic legends have sprung up about his escape from the mainland to the Isle of Skye with Flora MacDonald and with an Irish friar whose name escapes me, with Charlie disguised as a woman. as I said, he was bonny.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
A couple of Jacobite songs in the auld tongue. The first, Mo Ghile Mear, has variants found throughout Ireland as well as the highlands and western isles. The second, O Bean na ti. is an Irish Jacobite song. The Irish try to downplay it, but the fact is they would have been perfectly happy had a Catholic been on the British throne. Until the famine, really, Irish peasants looked for their deliverer to come on billowing sails over the sea from France. A great song, anyway.

Wow!

i just came to post how great watching this is. Lol

image.jpg

Top Bottom