What's new

What are you listening to?

Dylan's 17 min JFK song sucked. I won't even bother to post the link as I don't think I made it through 3 minutes. As a Dylan folk fan in the 1960s, I had all his albums. I saw him live in 1965, splitting that show half solo-folk and half with The Band. It was great. I also took my wife and 5yo daughter to his Rolling Thunder tour in 1976 in Florida, which was also great. Unfortunately, Dylan hasn't made anything worth listening to since the 1970s, and it's time he realized it and takes his millions and just goes away.
I'm envious of the fact you saw him in '65. Wow. Wish I saw that. I was born that year. The Rolling Thunder tour - that must have been a bit of a circus no? I'm not a first generation original Dylan fan - so I have a different perspective but man, here are three albums/tracks that do it for me. All post 1970s:

Love and Theft:

Modern Times:

Together Through Life:

I'm envious of the fact you saw him in '65. Wow. Wish I saw that. I was born that year. The Rolling Thunder tour - that must have been a bit of a circus no?

The last Dylan 33 record I remember buying was Slow Train Coming. I probably still have some 33 rpm bootlegs from the 60s & 70s in storage somewhere. As far as the '65 show. the folk half was great. Unfortunately, sound systems back then were pretty bad and the band drowned out his vocals in the electric half. If you read reviews from Dylan's rock shows back then the crowd shouting "we want bob dylan", from my prospective, wasn't so much about him going electric as not being able to hear his vocals. I don't remember as much of Dylan from the Rolling Thunder Tour as I do Roger McGuinn, Baez and Kinky Friedman. No way my wife and I could forget Kinky. Our 5yo must have walked around the house for months afterward singing "A**h**e from El Paso".

Last edited:
The last Dylan 33 record I remember buying was Slow Train Coming. As far as the '65 show. the folk half was great. Unfortunately, sound systems back then were pretty bad and the band drowned out his vocals in the electric half. If you read reviews from Dylan's rock shows back then the crowd shouting "we want bob dylan", from my prospective, wasn't so much about him going electric as not being able to hear his vocals. I don't remember as much of Dylan from the Rolling Thunder Tour as I do Roger McGuinn, Baez and Kinky Friedman. No way my wife and I could forget Kinky. Our 5yo must have walked around the house for months afterward singing ""A**h**e from El Paso".
Vote for Kinky!!!

Uh, oh. Hide the kiddies and cover the ears of anyone without a sense of humor who doesn't recognize sarcasm, my Kinky CD is a playin' on the stereo.

Last edited:
SWMBO was not amused when I taught our 12-year and 8-year old grandsons to sing "Ol' Ben Lucas".

Sometimes I wonder if my SWMBO lost her sense of humor over our last 50+ years, and then she surprises me. I'm with RigelDust. If Kinky runs, he's got my vote and probably my wife's vote too.

Last edited:
The last Dylan 33 record I remember buying was Slow Train Coming. I probably still have some 33 rpm bootlegs from the 60s & 70s in storage somewhere. As far as the '65 show. the folk half was great. Unfortunately, sound systems back then were pretty bad and the band drowned out his vocals in the electric half. If you read reviews from Dylan's rock shows back then the crowd shouting "we want bob dylan", from my prospective, wasn't so much about him going electric as not being able to hear his vocals. I don't remember as much of Dylan from the Rolling Thunder Tour as I do Roger McGuinn, Baez and Kinky Friedman. No way my wife and I could forget Kinky. Our 5yo must have walked around the house for months afterward singing "A**h**e from El Paso".
Interesting insight about the inability of folks to hear Dylan above the electric band. I can really see that being the case. They just didn't have the gear for amplifying vocals and electric bands together back then. Just look at what the Beatles used to use.

There's a good documentary by Martin Scorsese on Netflix about the Rolling Thunder Tour if you have Nextflix. I've seen about half of it. Dylan is just a trip!

There's a good documentary by Martin Scorsese on Netflix about the Rolling Thunder Tour if you have Nextflix. I've seen about half of it. Dylan is just a trip!

Haven't seen it. We dumped netflix late last year but have a Thunder bootleg LP in storage from the 1st leg of the tour, which we haven't listened to in years because we have no LP player. I think we saw the first show of the second leg which was in Lakeland, Fla.

Top Bottom