What's new

What are you listening to?

Love the Kinky Friedman story! But would have to disagree about Hurricane being dated. Switch out Rubin Carter for anyone who has been framed, locked up, shot in the back, had their neck kneeled on for 8 mins...you get the point. Unfortunately, it's a story that still reflects the times.

Good point. I never thought of it that way.

Another great CD by R.L.

R.L is great, as is Mississippi Fred McDowell, the neighbor he learned from. I have 3 RL CDs (Burnside on Burnside is my favorite) and about a dozen CDs of Fred. Just checked and I don't have A Bothered Mind and none of my RL CDs have Someday Baby. I may have to pick that CD up from Fat Possum. Fat Possum is my first stop for old blues. Better them making a buck than amazon.

Reactions: CCR
I've really been trying to build more de-stressing, simplified things in my life. I've stepped away from social media, etc. Lately I've gotten in a kick of listening to old big band, swing, etc. No lyrics, easy going music. Glen Miller, Artie Shaw, Pete Fountain. On vinyl when I'm home. Today I came to work early, worked in my office by lamplight, and played that music. Was very calming. Work is so stressful right now (Healthcare Administration) and so is the rest of life. Between this new DE shaving kick, quieting social media, listening to old music.....its quieting for the soul.

Before anyone accuses me of being an old fart, I'm only 37 :)

Desolation Row - Bob Dylan (1965) An example of why he was awarded a Nobel Prize in literature.

The anthem of my generation, or perhaps it was just my anthem. I don't remember a lot of Dylan fans in my dorm back then. While I had his early folk albums, my favorite Dylan albums are from Another Side to Blonde on Blonde. I saw Dylan in Louisville, Ky in late 65 or 66 when he came out solo for the first half and returned after intermission with the Band. Desolation Row was his last "solo" song before intermission. Good thing, because while ticket prices were cheap in the 60s, rock acoustics back then sucked. IMO, the main reason Dylan audiences were yelling "We want Bob Dylan" was not so much his transition to rock, as it was that the Band completely drowned out his vocals.

Top Bottom