What's new

What are you listening to?

I caught Christian McBride & Inside Straight last night at the Village Vanguard. I had never heard them before and a friend suggested we go check them out. Very nice tasty stuff. Loved Steve Wilson on sax and Warren Wolf on Vibes. Those two guys can play their butts off and they both can write as well. Peter Martin was also mean on the piano. Christian McBride is a great bass player and took some really nice solos. Carl Allen was competent and tasteful for most of the set until the last tune. The went uptempo and they swung like crazy. Allen showed me his chops on that tune and it was the most satisfying of the night. Great way to end the set. I would have liked to stay for the second set but my friend had to work today. This isn't from the show last night but it's the exact iteration of the band.

My Listening Project

DSCF1611.JPG

DSCF1613.JPG

In the spirit of 3017 I've decided to get to know part of my way too large CD collection. This small sample alone amounts to no less than 99 seperate discs so it should keep me busy. Some of this has been listened to a few times, some many and some of it only once. In any case, music requires repeated listenings to get to know it properly so I intend to spend some quality time with each and every selection, probably in the order pictured. I already know that I love all of the music selected.

I will be using my Audio Technica headphones throughout. They sound great through my ageing (and in serious need of updating) Arcam Alpha 7 amp and CD player.

First up, this.

DSCF1604.JPG

I've been listening to the new Who album on repeat for a few days now. All in all, 1/2 of a great album there. The first 4 songs on the record are all worthy additions to The Who and particularly good for anything post Keith Moon. The opening track is still my favorite and should make it on the numerous future "best of" compilations The Who are so fond of releasing.

The Who album was shortly after intense listening to the new Nilsson album. Again, this is probably 1/2 a great album, but Harry had lost his voice in the mid 70's and, with chemical dependency, lost his writing edge imo. There are a few outstanding songs on this, most notably the opening and closing tracks.

Top Bottom