What's new

What are you listening to?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

tumblr_ljq4p2qltI1qgfo7po1_400.jpg

Puccini: Madama Butterfly
Conducted by John Barbirolli with Renata Scotto, Carlo Bergonzi & Rolando Panerai

It may be sentimental but it's perfectly constructed sentimentalism by a master composer. The final trio contains the most moving B flat in all of music where Pinkertons voice floats above those of Butterfly and Sharpless. Devastating.

Gave the lawn its winter cut earlier today listening to late1950 & early 1960's oldies on my iPod. Gary US Bonds was always a favorite growing up (still is). The original is a classic, but this version is also on my iPod. Can't beat music with a great sax player.

My musical tastes range from old Mississippi blues to oldies to Irish punk, and some really weird stuff in-between. I have tried my best to appreciate true jazz, Parker, Monk, Coltrane, since I was in high school in the early 1960's, but my jazz listening today is pretty much limited to hundreds of 50's and 60's Desmond and Brubeck. I know it's not considered "real jazz " by many, but it's music I go to when I just need to calm down and relax.

My musical tastes range from old Mississippi blues to oldies to Irish punk, and some really weird stuff in-between. I have tried my best to appreciate true jazz, Parker, Monk, Coltrane, since I was in high school in the early 1960's, but my jazz listening today is pretty much limited to hundreds of 50's and 60's Desmond and Brubeck. I know it's not considered "real jazz " by many, but it's music I go to when I just need to calm down and relax.

You'd be surprised how highly Paul Desmond is regarded in Avant Garde jazz circles. The visionary Chicago reedman Anthony Braxton considers him to be a major influence. I used to listen to a lot of jazz but now I'm strictly classical - I have no control over these things.

This changed me forever:

Upon returning from the dentist today, ending a month-long replacement of a $4,000 (4 tooth) bridge, I got home to find the new Dreadnoughts CD, "Into The North", in my mailbox. Just what I needed to brighten my day.

Yesterday, for Veterans Day, it was Foreign Skies.

Top Bottom