What's new

What are you listening to?

One of my professors has fantastic taste in music. A group of graduate students and I are always hanging out in his office to discuss material, and he leaves a playlist of music on in the background every time. He plays the most eclectic mixes of old and new music, and honestly, I have yet to hear a bad song. One of the artists that I have discovered while attending his office hours is a woman named Emily Wells. I've been listening to a bunch of her work lately, and I think that she is worth sharing.

Last edited:
The top of today’s playlist.

proxy.php

I moved to NYC in 1980. When a Navy buddy (from St. Louis) got out of the service shortly thereafter, he moved to San Francisco (my home town). For a couple years, we sent each other mix tapes, as we had bonded over music. Then he vanished. My last mail to him was returned by people who had never heard of him (or was it a trick?). A year or two later, I realized I had his mother’s address and phone in St. Louis, so I called her. Nope, she hadn’t seen or heard from him since then either. I gradually came to assume he was dead.

I did internet searches occasionally once that became possible. And then, a few months ago, I found his name and a number in St. Louis during one of those searches. So we’re in touch. He didn’t die, but he was in a car crash with traumatic brain injury. Yikes.

In any case, without my asking (or even considering) last week he sent me three playlists containing over 300 songs, almost all rock, alternative and punk, mostly from the ‘70s and ‘80s — so that’s all I’ve been listening to for days. What a trip down memory lane.

Mix tape networking, those were the days hunkered down with a turntable and cassette deck hours later to emerge with a 90 minute masterpiece.
dave

Never tire of Bowie's 1970's wanderings.

Yassassin from Lodger
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''dave

Top Bottom