What's new

What are you listening to?

Circling back to thank you for this posting this:
1. I love how both the Byrds and Television layered their guitars. "Turn, Turn, Turn" and "Marquee Moon" (& that the whole album, actually) will never get old for me -- they're both just as thrilling as the first day I heard them.
2. I love that Nels Cline makes mistakes and sometimes can't wrap his hands around a riff. Hugely encouraging for this fat-fingered guitarist.

Very glad you enjoyed it, i've watched it a few times. His joy and love of what he's hearing in the music is infectious. Impressed how he sings one guitar part while playing the other, any of his demo's, interviews are fun to watch.

Another series i've recently come across is on the Noisey channel, Guitar Moves with Matt Sweeney interviewing and playing with various guitarists discussing licks and influences, quite short but always fun. Recent ones i've watched are with Keith Richards on the first song he learned from his grandfather, James Williamson talking/demoing Raw Power songs, Josh Homme and the host sweating buckets at Homme 's house, J. Mascis, 30 years playing and i've just learned how to palm mute... like you noted with Nels Cline, they make mistakes, they struggle, they love playing guitar. Guitars, just tools of the trade.

dave

upload_2019-3-17_19-48-55.jpeg

Trenchtown Rock: The Anthology 1969-78 - Bob Marley, Bob Marley & the Wailers | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

Moved on to another favorite category, 1960s car songs. Saw the Beach Boys live Aug 1965 in Louisville. I thought they were a bunch of a**holes at the time, taking shirts off and throwing them to screaming girls, but they had some great car songs that I still listen to.

Nice. I want a '64 Impala SS with the 425hp 409. I've read that option was only like $100 extra!!! :117:

As I remember, the difference between my '66 Le Mans 326 and a GTO was less than $500. Back in 1965, it was a lot of money for a young working stiff, college student. I imagine I would have killed myself with the GTO. I came close enough with the Le Mans, including getting arrested for doing 120 on I-70 in Ohio in 1967. Ah, those good old days.

Last edited:
I was fortunate to have the last Pontiac musclecar ever made, a 2009 G8 GT (6.0L). Sure it was really a Holden Commodore but the kidney grill looked better and I liked it better than the "new" GTO (Holden Monaro) because it was a big 4 door car that most people didn't know of. I surprised a lot of Camaros and Mustangs with that car. I just wish I could have gotten a GXP (6.2L) with the stick.

Top Bottom