What's new

What are you listening to?

I've often said to my self that I'd love to have the Dr. Who theme as my ring tone. Such a cool little tune, and so recognizable.

I think it's just amazing considering what they had to contend with technologically to execute the original (Hartnel era) theme. See wikipedia for the history if interested.

With the advent of MP3's, my cd player is collecting dust.....

On my current at work playlist is mostly Beatallica.

Yes you read correctly, Beatallica is great for those who are equal fans of both The Beatles and Metallica.

Have a listen..

Lately:

They Might Be Giants
A Tribe Called Quest
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Depeche Mode
Arcade Fire
Pixies
Maceo Parker
Tower of Power

I love my shuffle button.

Lately, I have been on a bit of a nostalgia kick. I've been listening to a lot of Grateful Dead, Frank Zappa, and The Beatles.

Tim

Here and Now by

AMERICA

It's the same summer wind, feel good music they've always done.

The studio album is fantastic. The live CD leaves a bit to be desired but that's not the reason to pick up this set.

Maybe next album Dan Peek will rejoin the group! :smile:

Geez! I guess I am really out of it! I recognized very few names mentioned so far. Guess I am going to have to stick the Victrola in the closet and pick up one of those new eight-tracks and buy some new music. I have been listening to some Badfinger tonight; before that some Ella Fitzgerald. My taste in music is pretty ecletic.

Hey, I resemble that remark. Though a veritable 80's kid, I was a young teen in the late seventies and so heard most of the "classic" rock bands. Ozzie, Led, and others. I was never the metal head/guitar freak that many of my friends were. I listened to their biggest radio hits. I never had the music collections that my friends did. They worshiped the guitar players. I couldn't give you a SINGLE current or recent pop star's name or radio hit. Don't know, don't care. None of this current tripe suits me.

These last years have seen my listening habits all over the place. Celtic music is probably my favourite of all. Cosmopolitan country from the 60's is good. I have taken a liking to classical music as well but can't really tell you anything about it. If you have Dish Network, check out channel 971, Ensemble. Lots of chamber music, romantic period, baroque, etc. I quite like it and it puts you in a thoughtful frame of mind. Just the ticket for reading by or resting up in the evening with a thoroughly indecent sized bourbon after a day's upland hunting for pheasant and quail. I have "discovered" U2 after ignoring them for most of their careers. Other than the biggest radio hits I couldn't have told you any other song of theirs till recently. I have just picked up a CD of David Bowie's Let's Dance. I loved that album when it first came out in 1983. I still do. One thing that struck me odd about it was that if you check the credits, all the lead guitar work was Stevie Ray Vaughn. I was never a big blues fan per se but I recognise the handy work of Vaughn. His style is immediately noticeable . Especially on Cat People. It comes out in other tracks like Let's Dance but Cat People showcases him in a couple of places. Another artist who is phenomenal is Madeleine Peyroux. I was loaned her CD, Careless Love by a co-worker and this lady's voice is something! I love the first track, Dance Me to the End of Love. When you listen to her you could easily see her in some southern juke joint singing her bluesy songs yet you could just as easily imagine her in a 19303/40's French cabaret singing love songs. She is super. So yeah, I'm all over the place too.

I basically listen to what my son is into at the moment...currently:

lots of old cowboy music (Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Sons of the Pioneers)
the beatles (a lot of magical mystery tour and the white album)

I think it is great that you and your son share this sort of thing. My dad and I never had a stitch of commonality in our music till his later years.

Cowboy music! Absolutely. Though it is old hat to most, check out the Pioneers. I love their mournful sound in Tumbling Tumbleweeds and Cool Water. Marty Robbins was another who sang cowboy songs and made you believe them. He is probably my all time favourite vocalist. Lets not forget western swing! As Waylon Jennings said; when you cross that old Red River hoss, you'll know just what I mean. It don't matter who's in Austin, Bob Wills is still the king! These guys were great with their combo of jass/big band/cowboy and Tommy Duncan was fantastic on the vocals.

Regards, Todd

Streaming the forthcoming album

Hospital Music by

Matthew Good

on his website.

Yet another unappreciated Canadian talent!

S

sullivanpm

Today I am listening to Nina Simone (Forbidden Fruit) with Billie Holiday (the Lady Day box set) and Ella Fitzgerald (Ella and Louis)for later

Top Bottom