What's new

What Are You Listening to Chrismas Edition

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
One of the things that I enjoy about my job is that I get to engage with my coworkers for a couple two or three hours before I move on with my day. For me it's an ideal amount of time. Friendly conversation and banter, but then I'm on my way and I don't have to listen to anyone after that. Yeah, I know, introverts... sheesh.

Anyway, it's a stressful time of year for us at the old post office. A lot of ya all buy a lot more stuff online this time of year and we wind uo delivering a whole bunch of it. One of my coworkers was playing some very, ummmm... nice "traditional" Christmas timey music that I'm certain they and some other coworkers found comforting. All well and good, but after three days of Rudolph, Frosty and Jingle Bells I had had enough. It was time to put together my own Playlist to share.

A few of my picks-

The Kinks - Father Christmas
The Pogues - Fairytale of New York
Weird Al - The Night Santa Went Crazy

My Playlist meandered through a smorgasbord of other goodies that I may share down the thread.

So after that rambling intro, what are you all listening to this holiday season. I do apologize for being all "Christmasy" in the title. That's whats happening in my house. I do affirm and respect that Chanukah, Kwanzaa, Festivus and other celebrations are taking place in so many other homes. All themes and musical recommendations are beyond welcome.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Chef:
🎄Yeah...I agree with the 'over-the-top' usage of the old X-Mas musical favorites (sheesh).
attachment.php

These are some of my favorites;'

"Someday at Christmas" - Stevie Wonder

"All I Want For Christmas Is You" - Mariah Carey

"Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" - Brenda Lee

"Last Christmas" - Wham

proxy.php
"Listening to [Christmas] music can chase away the stress". Author Unknown

My favorites are not likely to be familiar many...
It's Always Christmas With You - The Wiggles. This is a preschool kids group that sings a lot of songs - based out of Australia. My nieces and kids loved them. Unfortunately, for some reason, this CD is no longer playing in any of our players.

The second was some promotional CDs we got from Kohls or somewhere similar. It's acoustic music with just a piano and guitar. When my oldest was a baby, we listened to it a lot in the house. Sometimes, if I'm not careful, this one can kick up a lot of dust around the house. If you know what I mean...

The final one is something that is more "mainstream". A Christmas Album by Amy Grant. I grew up in TN, and my family would listen to this as we drove to my grandparents for the holidays. Plenty of good memories loaded into this one.

How about what I'm absolutely NOT listening to, Christmas Edition...
Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer
I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
Santa Baby
Christmas Shoes

Those will all get an auto-skip from me whenever they come on.

I reread the OP and see that you're looking for non-traditional holiday songs. While that Piano Man arrangement of Drummer Boy isn't traditional, Little Drummer Boy itself is. So here's a couple non-standard favorites of mine:

For an '80s vibe:

A few others (I won't post all the youtube links):
Run DMC - Christmas in Hollis
Eels - Everything's Gonna Be Cool This Christmas
Wizzard - I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday
Low - Just Like Christmas

And not really Christmas songs, but I play them this time of year anyway:
Bangles (or Simon & Garfunkle) - Hazy Shade of Winter
*** Ponys - Last Night It Snowed

edit: "***" is another word for "donkey"

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
When I was a kid my father would come home each December with one of these Christmas compilation albums from the tire store. This one is my fave to this day.

Top Bottom