What's new

What are you drinking tonight?

Here‘s a cool one (at least to me)…

My grandfather introduced me to wetshaving when I was 15. He was a barber from Ireland. I wetshaved off and on since. Mostly 5 bladed carts in the shower over the years due to convenience, kids, life… but I digress.

He gave me this bottle of Bell’s 27 years ago for my wedding and told me to keep it for just him and I to drink a shot every Christmas. He bought it in Scotland in the 50’s and it was unopened when he gave it to me in 1995. I had the box and receipt and I recall it was 1954 (I was negative 15 years old at the time).

We drank a small glass every year and he died 20 years ago around this time. He told me to finish the bottle after he died. I couldn’t bring myself to do it.

Cleaning out the liquor cabinet today (who drinks all these sweet liqueurs that end up at the back of the cabinet anyways and why are they in my house?) I found it. I haven’t had a dram from this bottle in maybe 15 years and the original cork/lid was so fragile the last time I had a drink that I had to use a wine cork since (LB is my wife’s favourite wine BTW and it is excellent).

Decided to finish it tonight in his honour.

It tastes peatier than the current Bell’s regular offering but Scotch in a bottle doesn’t age. Maybe a bit of oxidation from 15 years with a wine cork, but man, this is a great glass of scotch.
I’m sure the providence comes into play here though. 🤪

TLDR, nice old blended scotch!

EADA9988-64E1-4D7F-B660-F363E83563C5.jpeg
D7E1A2BB-3A61-44A3-9993-1AED9F9F937D.jpeg

0F99173D-2DBC-44FD-BC14-E23CB6E08B11.jpeg
5F2A37E3-84AA-44F7-BAAB-808DC129B4B3.jpeg

Last edited:
Here‘s a cool one (at least to me)…

My grandfather introduced me to wetshaving when I was 15. He was a barber from Ireland. I wetshaved off and on since. Mostly 5 bladed carts in the shower over the years due to convenience, kids, life… but I digress.

He gave me this bottle of Bell’s 27 years ago for my wedding and told me to keep it for just him and I to drink a shot every Christmas. He bought it in Scotland in the 50’s and it was unopened when he gave it to me in 1995. I had the box and receipt and I recall it was 1954 (I was negative 15 years old at the time).

We drank a small glass every year and he died 20 years ago around this time. He told me to finish the bottle after he died. I couldn’t bring myself to do it.

Cleaning out the liquor cabinet today (who drinks all these sweet liqueurs that end up at the back of the cabinet anyways and why are they in my house?) I found it. I haven’t had a dram from this bottle in maybe 15 years and the original cork/lid was so fragile the last time I had a drink that I had to use a wine cork since (LB is my wife’s favourite wine BTW and it is excellent).

Decided to finish it tonight in his honour.

It tastes peatier than the current Bell’s regular offering but Scotch in a bottle doesn’t age. Maybe a bit of oxidation from 15 years with a wine cork, but man, this is a great glass of scotch.
I’m sure the providence comes into play here though. 🤪

TLDR, nice old blended scotch!

View attachment 1379983View attachment 1379984
View attachment 1379985View attachment 1379986
That is an awesome story. Thank you for sharing that with us.👍👍 Neat way to honor your grandpa. 🥃🥃

Glenmorangie Original neat for me.38E9F062-6BF1-4772-97A4-F4648531F742.jpeg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Went to a cookie exchange party last night. The host’s husband was pouring JW blue. His wife likes bourbon and gave me my first taste of Blanton‘s. My wife dropped me off and picked me up so I could enjoy some drinks. Glad she did Because I was in no shape to drive.
Well, what’d ya think of the Blanton’s?

Happy to see there's a lemon slice in your G&T, and not lime. Maybe there's still hope for mankind down under. I used to have a link to an old article in the Brit paper The Telegraph called "Only lemon properly complements a gin and tonic". It talked about the USA corrupting it with lime. Sadly, my link no longer works. It was a great article. Before covid, when we went out to eat, I always had to specify a G&T with double Beefeater and lemon slice, not lime.

Happy to see there's a lemon slice in your G&T, and not lime. Maybe there's still hope for mankind down under. I used to have a link to an old article in the Brit paper The Telegraph called "Only lemon properly complements a gin and tonic". It talked about the USA corrupting it with lime. Sadly, my link no longer works. It was a great article. Before covid, when we went out to eat, I always had to specify a G&T with double Beefeater and lemon slice, not lime.

Lime! I’m not sure how I feel about that… I didn’t know that people had anything other than lemon.

What’s even better for me is that these lemons are off my own tree - you can’t really see it but is the very left of the shot you can make out some still on the tree.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
White Russians tonight. Not The Dude’s version, but my own…

1.5oz vodka
1.5oz Baileys Irish Cream
1oz Kahlua

After a few of these, you will sleep well. The sugar hangover ain’t pretty though! One or two is usually enough for me.
The Dude abides.

Top Bottom