What's new

What are you drinking tonight?

Adam @Whisky , curious here. Do you find that the Argentine Malbec's need a little decanting time? Maybe it is me but I have found most of them to mellow and taste better after an hour open. Just opened a Catena Malbec from the Mendoza region, the longer it decanted the better it got.

The Australian Malbec's seemed even in more need of decanting than the Argentina Malbec's... Funny how a grape that was only considered as a blending grape went all upscale in our lifetime !

Last edited:
20210616_123156.jpg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Adam @Whisky , curious here. Do you find that the Argentine Malbec's need a little decanting time? Maybe it is me but I have found most of them to mellow and taste better after an hour open. Just opened a Catena Malbec from the Mendoza region, the longer it decanted the better it got.

The Australian Malbec's seemed even in more need of decanting than the Argentina Malbec's... Funny how a grape that was only considered as a blending grape went all upscale in our lifetime !
I’m probably the wrong person to ask. I’ve just recently really started exploring wine and most of my exploration has been with Cabs from different regions. I enjoyed this bottle and it was open/decanted about an hour before I drank it, but only because the older kids started yelling, then the baby started crying, and our old senile blind and deaf dog crapped on the floor. In other words I was busy for a while before I could drink it.
Prior to my recent exploration into wines the only experience I had was with wines with names like MD 20/20, Boones Farm, and Night Train.

B3BDD051-1B3F-4CA4-8732-2F40B2292BC1.jpeg53361127-0648-4588-BCEA-A94C86151053.jpeg
Anniversary celebration. Quick thoughts:
Not great.
Very good and interesting.
Alcohol on the nose. It is cask strength.
One reviewer described burned wood on the bandsaw and I get that with every whiff. Never smelled that with a bourbon.
Chocolate sweetness on the palate with a lighter than expected mouthfeel.
I get a lot of toasted coconut after adding a tiny bit of water and letting it mellow.
Research it for the backstory, but it sounds like the company in Canada that distilled it went under and it sat in barrels for 15 years before it was bottled by a company in Bardstown that “discovers” whiskey and bottles it.

Bars and restaurants are still shut so last night I placed my orders which have both arrived now. From one, 4 bottles of Sainsbury's "Taste the Difference" range Bordeaux Rose, a rather decent easy drinking early evening drop, then from the other, a litre of Tanqueray, a bottle of Sipsmiths and a bottle of Smirnoff Black. Plus 24 bottles of FT light tonic water. Should be enough for the long weekend ahead (Monday is National Day, happy 56th birthday Singapore!).

This stuff is terrible. Why do people drink this? I only have it because my brother works for a liquor distributor and he gets samples of a lot of stuff. This month the push is hard seltzer. So he brought some over to my house. But seriously. It tastes like ****. Then he drops a bomb on me and said that this is the number one selling alcoholic beverage right now! Whatever.

View attachment 1304906
This is a marketing coup. I actually admire the genius. Carbonated water, cheap vodka, flavor. Then sell it at a price point higher than beer. It is Zima 2.0.

This is a marketing coup. I actually admire the genius. Carbonated water, cheap vodka, flavor. Then sell it at a price point higher than beer. It is Zima 2.0.

Zima... That Sir is a mouthful, what a truly disgusting drink. Take Licorice, put in blender, add ethanol. Yeah I recall getting suckered into taking a taste from an excited friend who raved about the swill.

View attachment 1307483View attachment 1307484
Anniversary celebration. Quick thoughts:
Not great.
Very good and interesting.
Alcohol on the nose. It is cask strength.
One reviewer described burned wood on the bandsaw and I get that with every whiff. Never smelled that with a bourbon.
Chocolate sweetness on the palate with a lighter than expected mouthfeel.
I get a lot of toasted coconut after adding a tiny bit of water and letting it mellow.
Research it for the backstory, but it sounds like the company in Canada that distilled it went under and it sat in barrels for 15 years before it was bottled by a company in Bardstown that “discovers” whiskey and bottles it.

Thanks for sharing. Don’t know the bottle but your review and the appearance in the bottle of the liquor reminds me of some Australian distillers - the spirit may have been a very high ABV when put into barrels that have a high toast. It’s a way of “cheating” to add complexity to the booze quickly if they aim to bottle and release early. Leave it too long and you tend to get the colour and nose you describe. That “burned wood” character I sometimes see in scotch that’s over 21 years old (personally I think the sweet spot for most scotch is 15-21). Beyond that and if not stored well the wood dominates IMHO if they’ve not been careful. There’s Aussie whiskey distilleries that have gone under, had stuff released by a third party and upon tasting all I’ve picked up has been oak and high ABV characters - I usually enjoy cask strength but if not done with an experienced hand it can kill the balance.

Thanks for sharing. Don’t know the bottle but your review and the appearance in the bottle of the liquor reminds me of some Australian distillers - the spirit may have been a very high ABV when put into barrels that have a high toast. It’s a way of “cheating” to add complexity to the booze quickly if they aim to bottle and release early. Leave it too long and you tend to get the colour and nose you describe. That “burned wood” character I sometimes see in scotch that’s over 21 years old (personally I think the sweet spot for most scotch is 15-21). Beyond that and if not stored well the wood dominates IMHO if they’ve not been careful. There’s Aussie whiskey distilleries that have gone under, had stuff released by a third party and upon tasting all I’ve picked up has been oak and high ABV characters - I usually enjoy cask strength but if not done with an experienced hand it can kill the balance.
I had another pour last evening with my son-in-law and unfortunately I started to get another unpleasant note. A hint of burnt rubber, maybe? Idk. I guess I wouldn’t recommend this high end bottling. That scenario seems reasonable. I’ve had much better at a lower price point.

ADD: I just poured a shot with a couple drops. I’m afraid it may be undrinkable for me! I know that’s quite a turnaround from the first sampling, but…

Last edited:
Top Bottom