What's new

What are you drinking tonight?

That must be really nice. We spent about a week in the Loire and it and the wines there were just lovely. Particularly the chenin blancs in all the different expressions, but I understand re the acidity. There is nothing wrong with French roses. Very food friendly and refreshing at the same time. I just had not seen rose Bordeaux.

We are about 45 mins from Tours so right in the middle of all the wines and chateaux, I love the place and the smaller appellations, and apart from goats' cheese, the food!

Last night it was a simple Old Fashioned with Bulleit Rye and Fee Bros. Bitters.

proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

We are about 45 mins from Tours so right in the middle of all the wines and chateaux, I love the place and the smaller appellations, and apart from goats' cheese, the food!
I remember a massive food market in Tours that seemed like heaven. I remember buying freshly made goat cheese from a small shop next to the road on a goat farm. They must have had hundreds of goats. The goat cheese was a revelation. Earthy, pungent, rich, creamy. Reeking if goat, really. I can taste it in my head as I write this. So, so good to me, but I can understand how you might find it a bit much. The food and wine in the Loire was wonderful. A beautiful place.

If you like Woodford Double Oak you should really like this. The difference is Old Forest chars the hell out of the second barrel where Woodford toasts their, giving Old Forester a lit bit more complexity. Woodford also has a Master Distiller DO that’s damn good as well if you can find it.
Thank you - that is just what I wanted to know. I will keep an eye out for it.

Croft Reserve Ruby.

Tomorrow will be a Ward Eight! Sometime down the line I will give the Jack Rose a shake. Do you have a preference for Applejack, Rob?
I definitely have preferences as to applejack. First, any French calvados should show very well. Every one I have tried has had excellent apple flavor, and has otherwise been high quality. Second, my go to is Laird's bottled in bond apple brandy. 100% apple. The more expensive and longer aged 50th anniversary or whatever it is is great too, but I do not think the additional wood is useful. I have not found the Laird's that are not 100% apple to be very good. I do like that the b-n-b versions of Laird's are 100 proof. To me a Jack Rose cocktail should be intense and the higher proof helps with that. Have fun!

I definitely have preferences as to applejack. First, any French calvados should show very well. Every one I have tried has had excellent apple flavor, and has otherwise been high quality. Second, my go to is Laird's bottled in bond apple brandy. 100% apple. The more expensive and longer aged 50th anniversary or whatever it is is great too, but I do not think the additional wood is useful. I have not found the Laird's that are not 100% apple to be very good. I do like that the b-n-b versions of Laird's are 100 proof. To me a Jack Rose cocktail should be intense and the higher proof helps with that. Have fun!
Thanks for that feedback! I’m loving the history of the spirit. I look forward to some cocktails made with applejack as well as sipping a little!

Burning Chair. Don’t know if I’d say bourbon finished in wine barrels is “better”, but they definitely add a different flavor profile for sure if you don’t mind spending a little more and shaking things up.
View attachment 1208243
View attachment 1208244
First I’ve heard of Burning Chair, I had no idea that Dave Phinney was also in the bourbon game now! I guess that’s what you have the luxury to do when you can sell a brand with no vineyards etc for a boatload of money 😂 😂 😂

Last edited:
I remember a massive food market in Tours that seemed like heaven. I remember buying freshly made goat cheese from a small shop next to the road on a goat farm. They must have had hundreds of goats. The goat cheese was a revelation. Earthy, pungent, rich, creamy. Reeking if goat, really. I can taste it in my head as I write this. So, so good to me, but I can understand how you might find it a bit much. The food and wine in the Loire was wonderful. A beautiful place.

We like Tours, big enough to have all you need but small enough to feel comfortable. If we are at the house for a couple of weeks, we will go to Tours and stay the night at an Ibis hotel so I don't have to drive home after a liquid evening!
Tours HdV Jun19.jpg

Top Bottom