What's new

What are you drinking tonight?

Tequila, DIY tamarind syrup (this time made with sour tamarind from a dried block bought at an Indian grocery store, much more tart and I would say more flavorful that what I have made previously with full bean sweet tamarind), plus Topo Chico mineral water. Excellent.

EAF82C5D-B393-4C0C-A66C-6B1133FDD869.jpeg
Weller Full Proof with a splash. Been sippin’!

Interesting and seemingly authentic collection of French items, Rushman2112. I think it is fairly rare for me to see a Brouilly, a Cahors, or a Chinon in an area store. I am not sure I have ever seen a Bordeaux rose anywhere.

5323E3F9-A8BA-4479-B9EE-385FEEED0525.jpeg

First try of a Croft Ruby. The nose is full of earth and minerals. I kept taking whiffs, wondering what I would be tasting, as I haven’t encountered a nose like this on a Ruby before. Very nice fruit, some of it bright. I really think this is my favorite, run of the mill Ruby. The sweetness is there, but not overwhelming.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I am sipping the last of my Lagavulin this evening. I have a bottle of Ardbeg, which is new to me. My three favorites are Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Talisker. I am hoping Ardbeg will join that list.
View attachment 1205993

Which Ardbeg do you have? I got into Ardbeg after Lagavulin and Laphroaig and found it to be lackluster until I got near the end of my first bottle of Ten. Ten is hard to beat for the price in my book. Uigeadail and Corryvreckan have also turned out to be great bottles to me.

John Emerald Distilling Company Purveyor's Series Double Wood Rye. It's finished with charred pecan wood chips in the barrel. This is from a small craft distiller in Alabama. They are the first legal distiller to open in the state since prohibition. This was a Christmas gift and I'm really enjoying it. There is a slightly sweet pecan taste backing up the spicy rye.

Tequila, DIY tamarind syrup (this time made with sour tamarind from a dried block bought at an Indian grocery store, much more tart and I would say more flavorful that what I have made previously with full bean sweet tamarind), plus Topo Chico mineral water. Excellent.
I take it back. The sour tamarind from the dried block is too sour and earthy. A waste of good tequila.

Interesting and seemingly authentic collection of French items, Rushman2112. I think it is fairly rare for me to see a Brouilly, a Cahors, or a Chinon in an area store. I am not sure I have ever seen a Bordeaux rose anywhere.

There is a surprisingly large French ex-pat population here and this website caters to their demands, it has a very wide range of all things Gallic. As to the wines, we have a place in the Loire and so have been to Chinon, and to Cahors which is a fine old town, so I buy what I know. I love a crisp white but as I have got older my stomach finds them too acidic so I tend to roses now and am working my way around the globe, got stuck at Bordeaux. It could be worse.

we have a place in the Loire

That must be really nice. We spent about a week in the Loire and it and the wines there were just lovely. Particularly the chenin blancs in all the different expressions, but I understand re the acidity. There is nothing wrong with French roses. Very food friendly and refreshing at the same time. I just had not seen rose Bordeaux.

Top Bottom